AK sooooooooted....tough spot?

$100 local live MTT, 106 entries, 11 pay.......starting 10K stacks, currently 22 players left (avg stack = 46K)...blinds 1500 / 3000 (no antes)

8 players seated....relevant players noted below

UTG + 1 = 12K Older ABC guy
MP = 19K TAG'ish
CO = 31K Spewy table donk
BB (me) = 45K Best Player In the Field

UTG + 1 Jams all-in (my impression will be a very wide range...any PP, Ax, QK)
MP re-shoves (Has to have a hand here....1010+AQ+)
CO hums and haws, and calls (likely Ax or any 88-, not 88+ as I think he'd jam)
BB: wtf do you do here?

Comments

• AK soooted im shoving that faster than the speed of sound.

Gotta love the pot odds, not to mention, being big stack, even If you take a hit, there will be 2 others eliminated and you are still in the tourney, in ok position. If you hit, you just added LOTS of life to your stack.

I like that position.

what happened.
  • You have lots of chips.

You have a skill advantage.

Fold and pretend it was 2-7.
  • Calling would cost you about 40% of your stack, and although I would snap call against one or even two players, donk's call is suspicious to me. Not sure why but I hear ITS A TRAP ringing out.

Worse case, donk wins hand, becomes chip leader, but would risk his larger stack against mine in a better spot. Best case, ABC player doubles up through donk. Only real threat I see is if MP tag wins.

Reluctantly, fold.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    You have lots of chips.

You have a skill advantage.

Fold and pretend it was 2-7.

This was my first thought.....changed my mind though, simply because of uber donk being in the hand.

My thinking was that if i jam, uber donk calls 100% of the time, and as long as I beat him, I lose at most 4K on top of my BB by winning the side pot. I can can take down the main, It will give me a dominant stack going forward in the tourney.

Remember, it looks like I have alot of chips compared to the players in the hand, but in reality, I was just over average, and with 23 players left, still aways from the money.

As I only had 15BB's, I figured this was a safe spot to gamboool....mainly because I was pretty sure I had uber donks range crushed.

Had the CO not been in the hand, I believe I would fold there, as I don't like my hand against the other two.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Calling would cost you about 40% of your stack, and although I would snap call against one or even two players, donk's call is suspicious to me. Not sure why but I hear ITS A TRAP ringing out.

Worse case, donk wins hand, becomes chip leader, but would risk his larger stack against mine in a better spot. Best case, ABC player doubles up through donk. Only real threat I see is if MP tag wins.

Reluctantly, fold.

Read my post below about donk call....I was as sure as I could be on any read. Would it have surprised me if he had AA....no.....but, I thought 95% I have him crushed (he would jam a pair here most of the time)
  • I dont care what any of you would do...

AK, suited no less, is getting shoved by me, no matter what else is happening around me.

If a better (rockets) or other sub par hand takes it down, then good for them, thats gambling. Thats poker.

please tell me you played it t8?
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    This was my first thought.....changed my mind though, simply because of uber donk being in the hand.

My thinking was that if i jam, uber donk calls 100% of the time, and as long as I beat him, I lose at most 4K on top of my BB by winning the side pot. I can can take down the main, It will give me a dominant stack going forward in the tourney.

Remember, it looks like I have alot of chips compared to the players in the hand, but in reality, I was just over average, and with 23 players left, still aways from the money.

As I only had 15BB's, I figured this was a safe spot to gamboool....mainly because I was pretty sure I had uber donks range crushed.

Had the CO not been in the hand, I believe I would fold there, as I don't like my hand against the other two.

At first my immediate thinking was fold, but after your reasoning here, it seems like a call isn't bad.
  • epic_donk wrote: »
    I dont care what any of you would do...

AK, suited no less, is getting shoved by me, no matter what else is happening around me.

If a better (rockets) or other sub par hand takes it down, then good for them, thats gambling. Thats poker.

please tell me you played it t8?

I'll post the results later, but, yes I did play it.....but, if you can't fold AK preflop, you need alot of work on your game.
  • weird...I am usually a go big or go home kinda guy..but here I think I fold...I feel like my ace is probably shared by one or two of the others...drawing to a king and maybe 1 ace to beat an underpair.

The donk humming and hawing...is probably him deciding how good his J9 really is..and after all...it is soooted...so he better go for it..but, again..he has two live..we likely only have one...

I just don't feel good here.
  • Its a fist pump fold. AK is a not strong enough in a 4 way hand. I read each of the following actions the same. Chances are you were right with your read and some stupid pair holds. All the aces are gone and brick city hits.
  • Brick City Hits sounds like a compilation album of soem kind.

Fold. Move on. Keep those hard earned chips for a better spot. That is what you should have done.

Me. I shove. Hey, the "resident pro" said it was the right play, didn't she?
  • Most important information in my eyes:
    T8urmoney wrote: »
    if i jam, uber donk calls 100% of the time, and as long as I beat him, I lose at most 4K on top of my BB by winning the side pot.
    I was as sure as I could be on any read ... 95% I have him crushed
    I was just over average, and with 23 players left, still aways from the money.

The reliability on your read of the CO is the key ... and I'd trust it to be right. I say take the shot and shove. The side pot is big enough to make the riskier portion of the gamble worth going for.

There are way too many scenarios where none of them have AA or KK and you are holding two overcards to them all (with likely domination on at least one of them), getting big pot odds and an opportunity at a huge chip stack going down the stretch.

Even if he's TAG, I think you're still probably dominating the (4M) MP player nearly as many times as he's dominating you (with the largest % of possibilities being coin flips to underpairs or chops with another AK). Knowing how desperate UTG+1 was, and with it being only an 8-player table, it's possible that AJ may be in MP's range as well.

While obviously not doubting your skill advantage, with an average-sized 10m stack, I'd maybe assign a slightly lower value to it than others will (unless you think a number at the table were so poor/passive enough as to allow themselves to be blinded down to nothing).

Take the big two or all three stacks out and you're virtually guaranteed to be in the money with a great shot at a top finish. Even if you lose the hand to all three of them, you're hurt bad but not dead.

...and I've folded AK and QQ at similar stakes and in somewhat similar situations, so inability to fold is not an issue with me.
  • wow!

Good question.

Lets ignore the fact that its 16K to see a 55K pot. This is more of a question for the C/O.
    You know he's an idiot, so you know he's going to feed someone his chips, or he'll hit a miracle and take it down. You NEED to take his chips before some pro gets it! You have AKs which KILLS a donk-spew range. Take the chips away from this fish, you'll have him crushed so often.
    if he calls 100% when you shove, you'll often win 12K from him. If you lose the main, you'll lose a net of 4K when you beat the fish.
    So think of it this way. You'll lose just over 1bb to take out 2 additional people, both players are not bad and who you'd like to see gone, potentially add 55K to your stack, AND have a solid chance of harpooning the tuna.

On top of it all I went through a sim on pokerstove. Against their ranges, (which by the way i think you made teh TAG guy too tight and DONK too narrow IMO so i put these ranges in, you had a read and I didn't but still) you're over 32% chance to win in a 4 way pot

Everything is favourable for you, call and pray to the poker gods you hit/ dont get sucked out!

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

250,153,254,735 games 818.247 secs 305,718,511 games/sec

Board:
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 32.753% 30.49% 02.26% 76281121564 5652543623.08 { AhKh }
    Hand 1: 18.897% 18.14% 00.76% 45377501325 1893062507.25 { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
    Hand 2: 28.069% 26.28% 01.79% 65730739045 4483604611.92 { 77+, ATs+, KQs, ATo+, KQo }
    Hand 3: 20.281% 19.20% 01.08% 48024263231 2710418828.75 { 44+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
  • My guess is:
    UTG+1 = A7/55
    MP = AK
    CO = 88
    BB = AK (obviously)
    CO holds up.
  • Tks for the responses.....I really came close to folding, but decided to jam and gamble with the spew monkey....he, of course, calls the rest of his chips.

Here's how it broke down:

UTG+1= 99
    MP = KK
    CO = A10os
    BB = AKsoooooted

Flop was a disaster......4 5 10 rainbow (none of my suit of course), turn A, river 5.

Spew monkey hits big, and takes in massive pot.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    Tks for the responses.....I really came close to folding, but decided to jam and gamble with the spew monkey....he, of course, calls the rest of his chips.

Here's how it broke down:

UTG+1= 99
    MP = KK
    CO = A10os
    BB = AKsoooooted

Flop was a disaster......4 5 10 rainbow (none of my suit of course), turn A, river 5.

Spew monkey hits big, and takes in massive pot.

we talked about all nince sng players going all to you on the bb with Aces, and how its more ev to fold, i don't know if exactly works here but i assume that its a fold from that...i guess you could suggest someone has a monster, someone has a decent ace, and someone has a pp....or am i just being stupid after knowing the hand.
  • sorry you got unlucky bro. like you saw, you have the donk dominated.
    And against KK and 99 you're going to win 30% of the time, so you have better then perfect odds to do it.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    sorry you got unlucky bro. like you saw, you have the donk dominated.
    And against KK and 99 you're going to win 30% of the time, so you have better then perfect odds to do it.

still 30% with a dead ace? seems high..
  • DennisG wrote: »

I think the key to this, is the donk being in the hand. If the donk folded.....I'm pretty sure I would have as well, as I didn't have a break even proposition built in.
  • You can think about it this way. You're getting a 3K discount on the main pot.

It's you vs spewy donk for a 12 x 2 = 24K side pot OR maybe he folds to your shove. And you're probably going to have 60+% equity vs him.

Otherwise you're calling another 16K to play for 3K + 19K + 19K + 12K (53K).

That is some sick odds and if they all have pairs like 66 ABC vs TT Tag vs 88 Spew, you're in a pretty sick spot with a lot of equity. The structure looks quick, I'm getting my chips in here.

Sure AK is foldable, but g'dam we're playing 13BB effective stacks.
  • DennisG wrote: »

Yeah thats if donk wasn't in.
    2 outter is about 18% I believe.