These hands always get me...

*********** # 24 **************
PokerStars Game #38254147481: Tournament #232836239, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2010/01/16 12:15:36 CT [2010/01/16 13:15:36 ET]
Table '232836239 1' 2-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: MinJonesie (1740 in chips)
Seat 2: bluesplint (1260 in chips)
bluesplint: posts small blind 10
MinJonesie: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MinJonesie [8c 2d]
bluesplint: calls 10
MinJonesie: checks
*** FLOP *** [Ad Jc Td]
bluesplint: checks
*** TURN *** [Ad Jc Td] [8h]
bluesplint: checks
*** RIVER *** [Ad Jc Td 8h] [8s]
bluesplint: bets 80
MinJonesie: raises 80 to 160
bluesplint: raises 80 to 240
MinJonesie: raises 1480 to 1720 and is all-in
bluesplint: calls 1000 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (480) returned to MinJonesie
*** SHOW DOWN ***
MinJonesie: shows [8c 2d] (three of a kind, Eights)
bluesplint: shows [Jd Jh] (a full house, Jacks full of Eights)
bluesplint collected 2520 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2520 | Rake 0
Board [Ad Jc Td 8h 8s]
Seat 1: MinJonesie (big blind) showed [8c 2d] and lost with three of a kind, Eights
Seat 2: bluesplint (button) (small blind) showed [Jd Jh] and won (2520) with a full house, Jacks full of Eights

Reminds me of Rounders. Although, in Rounders, Mat should have know given the guy was a great player and the hands played are of higher value.

I'm not one of these people who say that loose players are hard to beat, but in this case, the guy was tighter but I forced him to play looser.

I probably should have re-raised and then called.

Given what I said, sany thoughts would be appreciated. Especially my comment about "the guy was tighter but I forced him to play looser". Any analysis one that comment would be well recieved.

Comments

• you got out played...

that guy trapped you big time, and its unfortunate for you, the runner runner gave you a set, and him the boat.

Nothing else you really could have done.. well played by him.
  • you got out played...

that guy trapped you big time, and its unfortunate for you, the runner runner gave you a set.

Nothing else you really could have done.. well played by him.

**edit**

after some further thought, perhaps flat calling his raise would have been smarter...

You have no kicker to speak of.
  • Agreed. However, maybe I should have also bet on either the flop or turn to see where he was at? If I get a raise/ quick call, maybe I would have called him on the river?
  • MinJonesie wrote: »
    Agreed. However, maybe I should have also bet on either the flop or turn to see where he was at? If I get a raise/ quick call, maybe I would have called him on the river?

even betting to see where he was at on the flop would have been bad, because he obviously had enough sense to trap you, and would have flat called the whole way.

to be honest man, I woulda played it the same way.

too bad u werent SB and coulda thrown it away. :D
  • Don't stack off on that river :S

Think about the meta game of the hand. Villain in-position checked flop + turn, I don't think s/he's randomly going to be stacking off here without trip 8s as well. So at best you're chopping vs the villains calling range of your 4 bet shove.

Any why even check the river? Villain has checked flop + turn, good chance villain checks river. Just make a bet, if you get raised call it. Because it'll be a bluff (you see it) or villain is slowplaying.

Checking flop is fine because you're out of position with no outs really. and JT flop hits villains range enough to continue. On the turn, bet/folding is good too because villain has shown a sign of weakness on the flop and you can use this in the future when you whiff and want to take a stab on the turn.