was this a correct play? ALL-IN

Hand #3486963-234 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)

LuLu3 is at seat 0 with 89460.
b8zlbubba is at seat 1 with 125080.
nuttinmuch is at seat 2 with 49965.
klob is at seat 3 with 18375.
TopKicker is at seat 4 with 26170.
MUCHALUCKA is at seat 5 with 22550.
eddiemason is at seat 6 with 58205.
MZLAD is at seat 7 with 95720.
confusedONE is at seat 8 with 11460.
pvlranger is at seat 9 with 45020.
The button is at seat 3.

b8zlbubba posts ante (200).
LuLu3 posts ante (200).
pvlranger posts ante (200).
confusedONE posts ante (200).
MZLAD posts ante (200).
TopKicker posts ante (200).
klob posts ante (200).
nuttinmuch posts ante (200).
MZLAD posts the small blind of 1000.
confusedONE posts the big blind of 2000.

LuLu3: -- --
b8zlbubba: -- --
nuttinmuch: -- --
klob: -- --
TopKicker: -- --
MZLAD: -- --
confusedONE : 5h 5c
pvlranger: -- --

Pre-flop:

pvlranger raises to 4000. LuLu3 folds. b8zlbubba
folds. nuttinmuch folds. klob folds. TopKicker
folds. MZLAD folds. confusedONE goes all-in for
pvlranger calls.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

confusedONE shows 5h 5c.
pvlranger shows Tc Jc.

Flop (board: Jh Qc Ah):

(no action in this round)

Turn (board: Jh Qc Ah 7c):

River (board: Jh Qc Ah 7c 4d):

Showdown:

confusedONE has 5h 5c Jh Qc Ah: a pair of fives.
pvlranger has Tc Jc Jh Qc Ah: a pair of jacks.

Hand #3486963-234 Summary:

pvlranger wins 25120 with a pair of jacks.
confusedONE is eliminated.

Comments

• You had approx 5X BB with a good hand. Great chance to double up and you had him heads-up. As it was, it was a coin toss with you having a slight advantage. I'm ok with that since you were short-stacked and needed to move in soon.

There was a weak raise UTG. Do we interpret that to mean he wants callers? Or do we interpret a raise from UTG as a strong hand? I'm not sure.

I guess you could have called him then gotten away from the hand after the flop but you'd already have almost half your chips in the pot. Pretty hard to walk away from. I think some of the people here can do that. Not me!!! :banghead:

I like the idea of pushing your chips here. It has that 'fold equity' thing written all over it. You are out of position and could very well be outplayed after the flop so by pushing your chips in, you remove that possibility, too.

I dunno. I just busted out on the bubble playing AK all-in pre-flop. Even hit an A on the flop but someone drew a straight on the river. So don't take my word as gospel.
  • Horrible all-in, he is a big stack and is getting good odds on his call. he's getting 2-1 on the call, Best play was to call, and pray, bail if it looks scary.

Just my thoughts. maybe horrible is a bad term, but the first that came to mind.
  • I don't like the all-in preflop. If you think you have to play this hand for all your chips you should call his raise and then push all-in on any flop. There is more fold equity this way, since he will surely call your all-in preflop with any hand that was good enough to raise with (or even with TJ that he shouldn't be raising with). The other option is to call and then push on any flop that doesn't look terrible. This approach has some risk too since if he also had a hand that didn't like that flop you miss your chance to bluff him off. On the other hand it'd have stopped you from going broke in this case (assuming he wouldn't fold to an all-in on the flop). All-in preflop is not a terrible play, but you can be a little more clever to add some fold equity.
  • This is a difficult decision I think.

The complicating factor is that your opponent's raise is so small that you are offered pretty much exactly the correct implied odds (about 7.5 to 1) to call and attempt hit your set, assuming (and it's a large assumption) that your opponent will pay you off approximately all of the times that you do hit your set.

Folding is out of the question* I think, since, even if you want to play conservatively, you are still getting the right price to spike a set or fold on the flop otherwise.

If you are still far from the money, I prefer moving all-in pre-flop. I think this is the highest return/highest risk play. If your opponent wakes up with an overpair, that's the breaks.

The middle ground is the hunting foxes play. Nothing wrong with this either IMO. It adds fold equity, but at the cost of the "opponent only calls you when you're losing" phenomenon.**

I think which one of these plays you prefer depends a lot on your current risk preference. Note that you do not necessarily have to avoid close gambles (in fact, you may prefer close gambles) when you are on a short stack. It may depend on:

1. Where you are in the standings compared to the money.
    2. How confident are you that it actually is a close gamble, rather than you being a big dog.
    3. How the game texture is gererally. If you are completely running over the table with short stack blind steals, saving your chips for that might be better than gamnbling.

ScottyZ

*Of course, it depends. If the tournament payoff situation is such that surviving an additional orbit or two is extremely important, you still may wish to fold.

**On the other hand, if you think your opponent will call you on the flop even if he misses, the implied odds play (i.e. "call and see the flop") is far superior.