Options

whats your resteal range?

midway through a higher stake mtt. i'm seventh sitting around 22,000, blind are 400/800. I'm sb, everyone folds to cutoff who bets out 2400. hes sitting at about 15000. button folds, bb has 9500 chips. i have TT, and want to shove....? crazy?

raise has a piss poor rating on opr

Comments

• This is a shove, and its not close.
  • That is a tricky spot. How many people are left and where are we at in the tournament. That usually helps me determine the validity (or even range of hands). At this point cut off is thinking that your stack size is easy picking because you can afford to give up most of your hands in the SB and if he gets played back at you probably have AK-AQ-AA-JJ

With your stack size I would rather take a flop. I don't like re-raising (or shoving) here because you will be most likely in a flip position or worse most times if villian calls.

If you just call you can do a stop and go on the flop and bet the majority of flops when AX doesn't hit and take it down instead of sweating through 5 cards.

You have a healthy chip stack and if you are in the midpoint of the tournament you really don't need to be gambling with 10s OOP.
  • CO opens are cbets 100% of the time.

I used to sng alot with med pairs but found myslef in alot of FML spots when any paint comes, especailly OOP.

Id rather ship and scoop the extra 20% stack here with 1010. If you happen to run into a hand / have to flip so be it.

If you have HUD stats that helps because obv. this is a standard line for me which changes vs. someone whos not opening. The fact that hes OPR bad means we get a little more equity because his calling range might actaully be wider to a push.
  • 99% sure im shoving here everytime, unless you have some notes on him saying that hes the tightest player ever.

most of the time hes probably folding, worst case your probably flipping. doubtful hes got a bigger pair than you.
  • Once again please post the actual hand history as things don't quite add up, unless this is a turbo tourney. Midway through an mtt, sitting in 7th with 27.5 BBs. If this is indeed true then its an autoshove. If its not true, its still a shove :)
  • That is a tricky spot. How many people are left and where are we at in the tournament. That usually helps me determine the validity (or even range of hands). At this point cut off is thinking that your stack size is easy picking because you can afford to give up most of your hands in the SB and if he gets played back at you probably have AK-AQ-AA-JJ

With your stack size I would rather take a flop. I don't like re-raising (or shoving) here because you will be most likely in a flip position or worse most times if villian calls.

If you just call you can do a stop and go on the flop and bet the majority of flops when AX doesn't hit and take it down instead of sweating through 5 cards.

You have a healthy chip stack and if you are in the midpoint of the tournament you really don't need to be gambling with 10s OOP.
    Why do you want to take a flop OOP when you could 3bet shove and end the hand. A flop of A/K/Q/J will come over 50% of the time as well. Don't you think the villain will ever call with 55-99 or worst. And if you are flipping vs AK/AQ/AJ you're still a 55/45 favourite. To win tourneys, you got to win your share of the coin flips (essentially run good). And if you're not playing back at villains who are in steal spots when you got TT, you're going to give them free-will to keep stealing your blinds.

I wouldn't consider 10s as gambling. They are a top 10 hand in poker, and probably top 6 behind AA KK QQ JJ AK

I think you're playing to avoid losing more chips than you need to, as opposed to building your stack for the win. Taking down this pot will likely give you ~4200 chips (2400 Raise + 800 BB + 400 SB + ~600 Antes). That is a ~20% increase in your stack that you could get without showdown. This means you should be 3bet stealing even without good hands like TT.

imo, you should be reading up on 3 betting because I think it's a leak for you and you could be earning more money by fixing it up. I've included a link to a good Bonds18 article about it.
    Things it took me a while to learn part 5, 3 betting/4 betting by - TwoRags.com
  • Tilter, I dont know where you came from, but I like you.

I read that article a while back when I was first trying to comprehend 3 betting. Now that I re-read it I understand how valuable it actually was.
  • I am still trying to determine what stage of the tournament we are in. If he is 7th overall does that mean we are 7th out of 100 or 7 out of 10, that affects my decision. That was what I was conveying in my post.

Obviously 10s increase in value as the tournament progresses and I totally disagree that someone will be shipping off with 55-99 if you re-shove. You are more likely to get someone to stack off on a dry flop with those pairs then having someone re-ship for their tournament life against another giant stack.
  • I'd say easy shove. Even if you are in a race situation you have both covered.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    This is a shove, and its not close.

right on, ten hands later there were 35 left, so i guess there are about 45 left maybe less, i don't think its matters so much, its a little later than i let on though now that i checked. he pulled pocket queens on me but i think that's fine, i'm pretty happy with the shove i think.
  • Would you really define this as a resteal?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Would you really define this as a resteal?

i guess i don't know the real definition, i just made it up...
  • schabs wrote: »
    99% sure im shoving here everytime, unless you have some notes on him saying that hes the tightest player ever.

most of the time hes probably folding, worst case your probably flipping. doubtful hes got a bigger pair than you.

didn't have any extra info other than his vpip which was between 10-20 can't remember but either way if hes loose or a standard player, his range is pretty wide imo. he certainly wasn't really really tight.
  • I play live too much.....these online strategies still are confusing to me. One day I will learn to play better online...
  • I play live too much.....these online strategies still are confusing to me. One day I will learn to play better online...

I think you play cash too much. Stop developing your postflop play and ship it in already.
    I think you play cash too much. Stop developing your postflop play and ship it in already.

when in doubt, ship it out!

Point taken!
  • I guess this is in my resteal range? This is a 26/45.

Full Tilt Poker Game #17367321574: $24 + $2 Sit & Go (130468519), Table 2 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:54:53 ET - 2010/01/05
    Seat 1: markedak (1,470)
    Seat 2: FlowerScotland (1,515)
    Seat 4: FiveYearWinter (1,530)
    Seat 5: BonzoDude (3,015)
    Seat 6: NasJones (1,455)
    Seat 7: bjrdors (1,380)
    Seat 8: ddkjj (1,605)
    Seat 9: Wetts1012 (1,530)
    markedak posts the small blind of 20
    FlowerScotland posts the big blind of 40
    The button is in seat #9
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Wetts1012 [Ah 9d]
    FiveYearWinter folds
    BonzoDude folds
    NasJones folds
    bjrdors folds
    ddkjj folds
    Wetts1012 raises to 120
    markedak has 15 seconds left to act
    markedak folds
    FlowerScotland has 15 seconds left to act
    FlowerScotland raises to 375
    Wetts1012 raises to 1,530, and is all in
    FlowerScotland has timed out
    FlowerScotland folds
    FlowerScotland is sitting out
    Uncalled bet of 1,155 returned to Wetts1012
    Wetts1012 mucks
    Wetts1012 wins the pot (770)
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 770 | Rake 0
    Seat 1: markedak (small blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 2: FlowerScotland (big blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 4: FiveYearWinter didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 5: BonzoDude didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 6: NasJones didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 7: bjrdors didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 8: ddkjj didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 9: Wetts1012 (button) collected (770), mucked
    I guess this is in my resteal range? This is a 26/45.

Full Tilt Poker Game #17367321574: $24 + $2 Sit & Go (130468519), Table 2 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 19:54:53 ET - 2010/01/05
    Seat 1: markedak (1,470)
    Seat 2: FlowerScotland (1,515)
    Seat 4: FiveYearWinter (1,530)
    Seat 5: BonzoDude (3,015)
    Seat 6: NasJones (1,455)
    Seat 7: bjrdors (1,380)
    Seat 8: ddkjj (1,605)
    Seat 9: Wetts1012 (1,530)
    markedak posts the small blind of 20
    FlowerScotland posts the big blind of 40
    The button is in seat #9
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Wetts1012 [Ah 9d]
    FiveYearWinter folds
    BonzoDude folds
    NasJones folds
    bjrdors folds
    ddkjj folds
    Wetts1012 raises to 120
    markedak has 15 seconds left to act
    markedak folds
    FlowerScotland raises to 375
    Wetts1012 raises to 1,530, and is all in
    FlowerScotland has timed out
    FlowerScotland folds
    FlowerScotland is sitting out
    Uncalled bet of 1,155 returned to Wetts1012
    Wetts1012 mucks
    Wetts1012 wins the pot (770)
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 770 | Rake 0
    Seat 1: markedak (small blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 2: FlowerScotland (big blind) folded before the Flop
    Seat 4: FiveYearWinter didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 5: BonzoDude didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 6: NasJones didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 7: bjrdors didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 8: ddkjj didn't bet (folded)
    Seat 9: Wetts1012 (button) collected (770), mucked

i can forge hand histories too, everyone know from your profits your a nit and would never do that. nor would i

anyways we are in agreement, i shoved and lost a large stack, but would no doubt be quite ahead in most situations. although i coulda just set mined and mucked the flop. i never argue with this kind of aggression though, if its a leak ill fix it later.
    Tilter, I dont know where you came from, but I like you.

I read that article a while back when I was first trying to comprehend 3 betting. Now that I re-read it I understand how valuable it actually was.

Thanks, I come back to my home forum every now and then. I got a lot of good and meh tips when I started out here, but you got to learn (and take criticism) somewhere.

I read all the Bonds articles back in the day and should probably re-read them again. That guy put a lot of information out there for the community.