My first re-re-steal

In a discussion with Dave about the WSOP main event, he mentioned that, in order to be successful, you must be able to re-re-steal. I nodded like 'oh yes of course, the re-re-steal', but really I was like 'uh oh'. I'm good at the steal, and pretty good at the re-steal, but the re-re-steal was kind of unknown to me. Here's a hand from a NL tournament last week on Stars... I don't have the history here at work, but I remember it well.

Blinds 50/100. I'm SB with T7o. One MP and LP limper, I call, and the BB checks. I have about 4K in chips, and LP has about 5K.

Flop: Ad Kc 3s. Checked around.

Turn: 5h. I bet 300, BB and MP fold, LP takes a few moments and then raises to 900. I immediately re-raised to 1500, and he folded. I showed my hand. ;)

I know, nothing too spectacular, but it was a good moment for me. I realized that it looked like I was on a steal, which meant that LP was probably on a re-steal, which meant that I could re-re-steal. If he had re-re-re-stolen, I don't think I'd have been capable of re-re-re-re-stealing. I can only do so much.

Anyone else experimenting with the re-re-steal, and if so, is it working?

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• all_aces wrote:

Anyone else experimenting with the re-re-steal, and if so, is it working?
    I tried it in a SNG the other day. Guy called and flipped over quad 8s. Ooooops.
  • I think with enough stealing, re-stealing, and re-re-stealing, you will always lose a portion of those attempted steals. That's poker! It's a gamble. Just like Hork42 says. Sometimes the steal-ee acts submissive and lets you throw your wait all over the place. It's fun to be that guy with quads!!
  • Hork42 wrote:
    I tried it in a SNG the other day. Guy called and flipped over quad 8s. Ooooops.
    ouch!!!!:banghead:

:frown:
  • all_aces

what kinda hand did ya put LP on?

regards,
    CO :confused:
  • what kinda hand did ya put LP on?
    No hand at all. I figured he'd bet anything, even bottom pair, with position on the flop. So, the 5 came along and even if he hit it he can't feel that great about it. Basically, I put him on putting me on no hand, and I figured I could change his mind with a re-raise.
    I think with enough stealing, re-stealing, and re-re-stealing, you will always lose a portion of those attempted steals.
    I totally agree. However, I think in the long run you will make more than you lose if your poker instincts are decent, and if you trust them. The good old-fashioned steal is probably the best way to build some chips without putting many of your own at risk, assuming you're playing against fairly passive, ABC-type opponents. As you add each 're' in front of the word 'steal', you're putting more and more of your chips at risk, but the rewards can be worth it.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I did one a few nights ago in the Stars 10 rebuy when a third heart hit the board on the turn against a player who said I am the biggest rock he ever saw 5 minutes earlier.

I bet 400 he raised to 1600 and I shoved my 7000 in fast with king high and no draw. He folded and said that I sucked and was lucky I hit my flush. I admit I was tempted to show him my K 10 off suit that had no hearts and nothing to do with the board, but I decided I'd rather have more steal opportunities later (which did happen as I stole quite a few more blinds then normal before the table broke up).

The experience made me think it would be a good idea to hire someone to come to the table and insult you by calling you the world's tightest player.
  • I've done the re re steal a fair number of times now and then, but wouldn't call it a regular part of my arsenal. However, I do find that if I play at 1 table long enough at any site, half the table or more folds if I make any bet. lmao So I use that to my advantage too. lol When I noticed that starting to happen more and more often in tournaments, I realized my game had jumped a level. At least I thought it had. I called it the "fake rock" syndrome. lol
  • If you tried the re re steal. If the opponent called. With the pot around 3400. how much of your 2400 stack would you bet now?
  • That would become a re re re steal then wouldn't it? lol The data on that one is inconclusive. ;)
    Not sure if I'd go re re re. (anyone else just have a Deliverance flashback?, lmao) re re re lol
  • No, if he came over the top I'd certainly fold. I was sure enough that he wouldn't re-re-raise that I thought it was worth a re-raise myself... ie: I just had a feeling he was re-stealing, and that I'd be able to knock him off his hand.
  • So if he called your reresteal. With you acting first on the next card, what do you do?
  • I'd give up on the hand at that point. Check and fold.

The point of a re-re-steal is that you are trying to steal, meaning no further action. At some point, you have to give your opponent credit for a hand and admit to yourself that you were mistaken, but my instincts are finally getting to the point where I can determine (sometimes) whether they have some kind of a hand, or are stealing or re-stealing. These reads are based on observing the player in previous hands, and analyzing the betting patterns in hands that I'm in.

In short, the object of a steal, re-steal, or re-re-steal is NOT to get called. If you do, and you still have any chips left, you should get out of the hand, but I think a huge part of the game is being able to get your opponents to fold in this type of situation more often than not. Of course, you won't always be right, but poker is a game of risk/reward, and is not an exact science. You have to be willing to lose all of your chips if you want to win, unless you're lucky enough to get premium hand after premium hand. Unfortunately, that happens far too infrequently to count on, and even if you are getting big starting cards, they have to hold up and/or your stack has to be deep enough to be able to take some inevitable hits.

You're probably thinking 'that's a lot of his chips to commit to a bluff'. Well, I've moved in on bluffs, semi-bluffs, etc... before (as have most successful tournament players, I'm sure), and I've been right more often than not. It's the only way to build your stack when you are not getting any premium hands.

Hope that helps, Tilter. Your one-liner questions are poking and prodding a future article out of me, I think. :)

Regards,
    all_aces
  • if he came over the top I'd certainly fold
    I'd give up on the hand at that point. Check and fold

KEY>>>KEY>>>KEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you are ready for the steal, the resteal, the re-resteal, the re-re-resteal, and/or any other variants you must know how to fold when your oppenent is not willing to. You can not be afraid of losing chips when your making these types of plays and you CAN NOT BE AFFRAID TO FOLD when your beat or out played!!!!

Knowing who to fold is another monster in it's self it but is still a tool you must be able to pull out of the box when needed ... as in these kind of situations.
  • Hork42 wrote:

lmao made me spit water all over my keyboard :tongue:
  • In the WSOP between Raymer and the young kid. Did they do a re re re steal? I think Raymer bet, kid raises with gutshot straight draw +flush draw, and Raymer reraises, and kid goes all in (would have lost on river to raymers high card) and Raymer lays it down. Do you sometimes just get caught up in the moment of stealing. I once found myself with AK in EP bet out, get reraised, and I push back hoping for a fold (can't remember how it turned out though lol).

Also, thanks for the response, whenever I think about stealing I just wonder how should I act on the next card, fire another bullet or whichever.