Your line here??

Bit of history on villain...recently came up from about 1k chips...made a 1300 raise and rabbit hunted a 67s after the folds. Then after a few rounds starts raising 1300 again...does it 3 out of 5 hands then this comes up...
My image prior to the break was pretty loosey goosey with the rebuy portion...but since final table...solid, played only a couple hands including one raise with no show and one shove with no show...not that recent..

Game #22071774-96: $300 Guaranteed - R#A - 125.00/250.00
Seat #0: mterra, $1625.00
Seat #1: nstr10, $6962.00
Seat #2: Atchison (D), $13775.00
Seat #5: DennisBSPT (SB), $6323.00
Seat #7: McCauleybluffer (BB), $3461.00
Seat #8: Thizizit, $10859.00
Seat #9: Rancher19691, $6445.00
*** Blinds ***
DennisBSPT posts the small blind of 125.00
McCauleybluffer posts the big blind of 250.00
*** Pre-Flop ***
DennisBSPT got hole cards [ A :dia: J :dia: ]
Thizizit folds
Rancher19691 raises with 1050.00
mterra folds
nstr10 folds
Atchison folds
DennisBSPT goes all-in with 6323.00
McCauleybluffer folds

Comments

• Not a big fan. You're a middling stack against another middling stack with 2 biggies and 2 shorties.....save your chips for play against them.

I fold an EP raise with AJ OOP unless you want to call for flush mining. The raise will only get called by a better hand. If you moved him off of it, I think you got away with one.
  • Not a big fan. You're a middling stack against another middling stack with 2 biggies and 2 shorties.....save your chips for play against them.

I fold an EP raise with AJ OOP unless you want to call for flush mining. The raise will only get called by a better hand. If you moved him off of it, I think you got away with one.

I dont like it either.

coulda called and at least seen the flop... if you hit, then fire the stack at him.

pre flop aj suited, all in, at a final table is questionable, especially when you are middle stacked and even more especially against another one.

nh anyways, it all worked out.
  • fedh8er wrote: »
    I dont like it either.

coulda called and at least seen the flop... if you hit, then fire the stack at him.

pre flop aj suited, all in, at a final table is questionable, especially when you are middle stacked and even more especially against another one.

Kathy, you always were a nit
  • I like it, nh
  • You guys realize the result has not been posted yet?
  • Yeah I know.......regardless of this being the final table, Dennis is somewhat shortstacked and this is a great opportunity to either get a fold (players might not want to stack off when they should be with certain hands bc it's the FT) or get called by a worse hand, since we know villain's range is very wide and that in general he is a loose fish. With this stack size, I don't think flat-calling is that great an option.
  • If villain is a maniac he probably doesn't care much about your solid image. If he went all in with 67 suited and showed his hand he probably doesn't care too much about image so I'd expect to get called everytime I shove since he seems like a bit of a maniac.

I like the shove as well but don't confuse your image into it, just jam it if you expect to be ahead of whatever villain is raising IMO
  • fedh8er wrote: »
    I dont like it either.

I think this is an alternate way to play the hand, however even if you miss you still have to shove. The idea will be to push him off weaker holdings or to make like you are trapping. I don't like the idea of calling then check/folding (if that was what you were getting to). Basically play a stop and go, with the idea being that if villian doesn't hit the board you take down the pot with a shove on the flop because you will be ahead of his range X percentage of time and he can't (at least I think) call off his stack with just overs or a small pair.

As played I don't see a problem with this as you are both decent stacks and if villian has been active there is a high percentage of time he will be folding his hand to a shove as he is looking to pick on a similar size stack knowing very well that he won't get called or played back against unless hero has a decent holding.
  • Post play thought, and after discussion with a friend, yeah, I think a better play would definitely have been a flat call and shove the flop when it is dry. He has enough he could fold two overs or a small pair.

The villain was very active, playing 60% of his hands, so yeah, I am only going to get called when beat, but with only two players (he and a nit) to go, I felt comfortable that I was well ahead of his range...

As for the result, well, he did call, and had AK...lol..flop KQJ rainbow. turn was the Ace, and a brick on the river..I am still personally ok with the play..but do feel there is/are better ways...stop and go being one..

As for playing against the big stack and little stacks...I am on the fence with that...I really feel (and often do) it is easier to steal and get folds with marginal hands against the middle stacks...they are usually trying to preserve chips, and can afford to fold with medium hands. maybe this thought pattern is wrong?
  • As played is fine, he will fold most holdings. Stop and go is fine, but it gives the chance of 78 catching middle pair and calling the shove. I jam here for sure given style of villain.
  • Aren't we confusing in fold equity a bit too much into what seems to be a hand against a 1$r maniac?
  • Based on reads this is a turbo ship.

I dont like the stop/go here with stack sizes.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    The villain was very active, playing 60% of his hands, so yeah, I am only going to get called when beat, but with only two players (he and a nit) to go, I felt comfortable that I was well ahead of his range...

I don't believe this to be true. Villian as you said is a maniac. Most maniacs ive seen will call with any pp, Ax, and almost all broadway hands. I like the shove. If he folds then you scoop a big pot, growing your stack by almost 20%. If he calls, most of the time we're not worse then a coin flip. It sucks that you ran into the top of his range, but don't fault your play. You had a good read, you exploited it, and he got lucky. I think its a cooler.
    We have lots of FE, Getting lots of value from hands like AT, KJ QJ etc. ( do you really see villian folding this?)
    Good play.