checknraise.com

was anyone involved in the beta testing for this site? It is supposed to be launching this weekend (tomorrow/Saturday).

Apparently it used to opperate under a different name, Dynamite Poker, did anyone play there?

it's Canadian run. When I first started to play, I reviewed sites (not in too great of depth) and chose to make my first deposit at PokerRoom since they were Canadian-based and I like to support 'local business' whenever I can. As a result, I'm interested in giving it a go.

I signed up 'pre-launch' which gives you the opportunity for some pretty nice bonuses (might still be eligible today), so I'll probably go ahead and make a deposit when they launch (tomorrow?) and report back my thoughts on it all.

My personal opinion is that it probably won't fly. It's pretty cut-throat competition they'll be up against and if they don't build that initial user base early (big challenge) they will really suffer.

just fishing for some opinions on them.

Comments

• I not sure that PokerRoom.com is Canadian-based. Where did you find that information? As far as I could tell, PokerRoom.com is based in Sweden, but I'm not even too sure about that since I could only find a few snippets of vague information about PokerRoom's corporate structure.

ScottyZ
  • If iwas to make a deposit ond they got tits up what happens to my money and where do i locate addresses of the ones responsible? lol
  • call their tech support??
    1.877.44.POKER (1.877.447.6537)
  • JuiceMan wrote:
    If iwas to make a deposit ond they got tits up what happens to my money and where do i locate addresses of the ones responsible? lol

www.funtimehospitality.com

They are POKR on the cnq.ca - woo I made money on the market too! :D

Although, they have pushed the opening from today at 4pm to today at 6:30pm Eastern and....it's past 6:30pm now... :confused:

as Facecard99 might be hinting.
  • anyone else havin problem starting up their pop up software
    i can't seem to load the thing ... good thing is i haven't deposited yet
    if nayone kno how to fix the problem please let me kno .. i'm interested to see how it looks like
  • I had an error that a popup blocker might be on or Java wasn't installed. There's a link to download the latest version of Java and of course you can allow popups at checknraise but keep the feature on.
    That solved my problem.
  • well.... the java base program doesn't work on my comp for some reason
    guess i have to wait for the downloadable version
  • To continue this thread, just got the email that said the site had been down for the past 18 hours because they weren't crediting people's accounts correctly?!?

This site gets an A+ for the hype it generated, but huge failing marks for execution. I' was quite ready to jump in opening day, but I'm glad I waited. Two missed "we're opening!" dates plus a full day outage within a couple days after *months* of beta testing does not inspire confidence.

I had been browsing in at tables and even the players playing there seemed to have negative views of the site. That, and everything took FOREVER to load for me.

I'd say give this site a pass!
  • Lost this thread, got moved to advertisements. :)

I checked it out, I got around the popup stuff fairly quickly, I think they did a good job explaining how/why it needs to be done - but less tech savy people are just going to turn away quickly, so overall its probably a really bad move.

I didn't deposit cash yet and don't expect I ever will. The java app freezes my computer and requires a reboot about once every hour or two. Other than that issue (which is enough to keep me away), it seemed alright, but nothing special.

I was playing the 'check-point' tables and faired decently. I'll probably used my CP winnings to buy into some cash tourny's and then leave the site all together.

I could have sworn PokerRoom.com was run off of a Mohawk reserve in Quebec or something? I could be mistaken horribly - oddly, that Canadian-tie IS what took me there to begin with - embarassing if I'm wrong.

I'd probably rate it a 3/10 for user experience.

Oh, I reported a few things to support as well as asking a couple of questions. I will say their support is quick to respond - however, the responses are absolutley useless (basically repeating the questions in the form of an answer).
  • I have been following this story since August. This site IS canadian (north Toronto, actually) but they host somewhere in the carribean.

The problem seems to be that they got stuck with some inefficient software and slowly but surely, things are getting better. Their marketing was incredible and actually continues to be.

I think they laid off the hype for a little until the game there is stable. I know they are working on a downloadable version of the software (ie - no more popup issues) but nothing on that yet.

I agree that they blew their load by missing two launch dates, but they opened quietly and they are beginning to draw a few players. They actually have some neat ideas going forward, and I am hoping their increased tech abilities will allow them to salvage things.

I think that once they fix the software issues and get back to generating the hype, they could very well be a player in the industry.

my $0.02.