How to play high stack midway thru a MTT?

I hadnt played since like may and started again last Saturday and joined LTPQ which is quebec provincial league and yesterday was my 2nd tourny in the league.

We were about 25 and I was high stack after the first break with 17 players remaining. But after the break things went shit pretty bad and I dont know if I've just been unlucky or if my strategy was just bad.

Basically, what do you do in the blinds, high stack when you flop good hands(straight then 2 pairs) with 2 of the same kind on the board?

----

Also same tourny I'm high stack and like 10 minutes after the first break, I'm getting KK and raise 3 times the blind while being on the BB and noone calls so I get 2 BB from it. Maybe I couldve got more, but I didnt want to lose money in that hand, just getting some more chips without risking too much. Good idea or not?

Comments

• Also same tourny I'm high stack and like 10 minutes after the first break, I'm getting KK and raise 3 times the blind while being on the BB and noone calls so I get 2 BB from it. Maybe I couldve got more, but I didnt want to lose money in that hand, just getting some more chips without risking too much. Good idea or not?

I think people change there play in the wrong way with big stacks, doing wild steals and re raises. the cards haven't changed, neither has their value, the only thing things that have change is there are small stacks that are trying to double up through you and you can absorb a bad beat, or possible take a suckout of your own.

Evertime your raise or attempt a steal you have to asses all the stack and ask your self if you would take each potential re raiser all in. for the big stack theres not always alot of poker to play other than raising and calling all in's. Sometimes you can create dead money by having one person call your raise and the next going all in. depending on stacks you can create nice odds by getting the first to lay down, or if the 'all in' has a loose range you can lose to the shorter stack first person but break even with the midrange all-in 'player'.

If you start playing really loose you will constantly get looked up by better cards. If your not watching stack sizes you will get forced into positions where you are pot committed with less then stellar cards.

As for KK, if you got caught making a few steals prior with not so good cards you may have been called made some money off it. mind you I just went out of the final 2 tables with a big stack and pokcet aces so ...i woulda just taken the blinds.

Lastly just because your a big stack in now doesn't mean your a favorite for the final table, midway through theres alot of poker left
  • darbday wrote: »
    I think people change there play in the wrong way with big stacks, doing wild steals and re raises. the cards haven't changed, neither has their value, the only thing things that have change is there are small stacks that are trying to double up through you and you can absorb a bad beat, or possible take a suckout of your own.

Evertime your raise or attempt a steal you have to asses all the stack and ask your self if you would take each potential re raiser all in. for the big stack theres not always alot of poker to play other than raising and calling all in's. Sometimes you can create dead money by having one person call your raise and the next going all in. depending on stacks you can create nice odds by getting the first to lay down, or if the 'all in' has a loose range you can lose to the shorter stack first person but break even with the midrange all-in 'player'.

If you start playing really loose you will constantly get looked up by better cards. If your not watching stack sizes you will get forced into positions where you are pot committed with less then stellar cards.

As for KK, if you got caught making a few steals prior with not so good cards you may have been called made some money off it. mind you I just went out of the final 2 tables with a big stack and pokcet aces so ...i woulda just taken the blinds.

Lastly just because your a big stack in now doesn't mean your a favorite for the final table, midway through theres alot of poker left

Thanks, I heard KK was a good play, but I'm mostly worried about the other 2 that really hurted me bad.

I dont think I've really changed the way I would play all that much, I've been pretty aggresive all game and thats why I expected at least 1 caller with KK, but I didnt want 2.

Also I heard from a friend that is playing for a while, he may be right or not, but he said there wasnt much I could do. I was in the blind both times, one small one big and then basically flopped the nuts and the very same guy hit the flush after going all in, once on the turn other on the river.

I mean what are the odds that the guy hits his flush twice? If he doesnt on one of the 2 hands, which favors me on the odds, he's out and I'm still high stack... I just dont know if I shoulda just said, screw the odds even if they are in my favor and i can elimiate a guy that has 25% then 50% of my stack. The first time was more risky to me, but the guy had 25% of my stack and odds were about even, thought it was a good play cause he coulda folded, the 2nd time, odds are like 75-25 i think and he has half my stacks. Again he coulda folded or have 75% of chance to be eliminated.

Yet he wins both, what can I do?
  • i can't sift through what you mean about that hands but it sounds like you were sweating the fact that you lost even though you were the favorite to win. sometimes you can't get away even when your ahead.
  • darbday wrote: »
    i can't sift through what you mean about that hands but it sounds like you were sweating the fact that you lost even though you were the favorite to win. sometimes you can't get away even when your ahead.

Well basically, but how should I play when im high stacks? I've played quite a bit of hands when i was high stack and in the end it costed me...

Thing is you cant really fold preflop in the blind, and you cant really fold when you hit 2 pairs or straight on the flop and all...

should I be more conservative next time and take it easy with 2 of a kind on the flop even tho I hit big? Consideringg I dont really need more stack to make it to final table and more?