Questionable River

I just played this hand in the FTOPS. We are in the 2nd blind level.

Whats your play on the river here?

Preflop opener has an extremely wide range I think. I dont mind my play pre or on the flop. The turn is questionable but OK I think picking up the draw.

The river is WTF.

Full Tilt Poker Game #15997527286: FTOPS Event #20 (109223426), Table 227 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:36:35 ET - 2009/11/13
Seat 1: fedabe (3,449)
Seat 2: Wetts1012 (5,730)
Seat 3: Pfewww (6,945)
Seat 4: ali174959 (5,550)
Seat 5: RaXoZa (4,785)
Seat 6: DamLam818 (10,176)
Seat 7: Gooshyhead (5,185)
Seat 8: Shakey71 (4,120)
Seat 9: ecstractor (4,060)
fedabe posts the small blind of 20
Wetts1012 posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Wetts1012 [As 9s]
Pfewww folds
ali174959 folds
RaXoZa folds
DamLam818 folds
Gooshyhead folds
Shakey71 folds
ecstractor raises to 140
fedabe calls 120
Wetts1012 calls 100
*** FLOP *** [6d Ac Ks]
fedabe checks
Wetts1012 checks
ecstractor bets 160
fedabe calls 160
Wetts1012 calls 160
*** TURN *** [6d Ac Ks] [7s]
fedabe checks
Wetts1012 checks
ecstractor bets 720
fedabe calls 720
Wetts1012 calls 720
*** RIVER *** [6d Ac Ks 7s] [9c]
fedabe checks
Wetts1012 checks
ecstractor bets 3,040, and is all in
fedabe has 15 seconds left to act
fedabe has requested TIME
fedabe folds
Wetts1012........

Comments

• let me guess, he had 2 pair or set, mind you i am thinking of my buy in level not ftops level,lol but your soo deep still that river is a fold cause of that, if he was bluffing oh well, you got time to get his azz:)
  • Buyin is irrelevant. Most of the people playing have sat. in.

Phil - If youre saying 2 pair then youre putting villain specifically on AK?
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Buyin is irrelevant. Most of the people playing have sat. in.

Phil - If youre saying 2 pair then youre putting villain specifically on AK?

ya your right thought of that too after i posted about people sat. in., ya AK, but again not knowing how he was playing up to then it's a 1st guess:)

how many guesses do we get:D
  • This is a gross spot bc he'd play A6, A7 the exact same way as AK here obv......and he could obv have a set....hmm, also, he bets pretty weak on the flop, just over 1 /3 psb (160 into 420, looks so weak), in a fish's view trying not to scare you away lol.......then boom 4/5ths on turn, pots the river.....mehh I timebank and FOLD here
  • Meh...he was on the button, game is young, lots of idiots still in it..He plays AQ, AJ, Ax for that matter all the same here.. turn is a weak bet because he doesn't know any better.. You say his range is wide..but again, it is fairly early to tell...

Double up and carry on...or lose and go make the buy in back somewhere else. I personally think you are ahead here most of the time against an unknown this early in the tourney...And you are getting...2-1?
  • ATC's for sure.
  • I have to call here, as there are too many hands he could do this with that you can beat.. AK or a set is just a cooler for you. However I'm not a strong enough player to fold this... Just don't you remember that when I'm playing you.. :)
  • i really only think the hands hes beating that hes doing this with are AT, AJ, AQ...none the less i still have his opp on atc's
  • darbday wrote: »
    i really only think the hands hes beating that hes doing this with are AT, AJ, AQ...none the less i still have his opp on atc's

This is the 2nd blind level and we are +100BB deep. If youre putting villains range as ATC you dont do enough analysis in your game.

If we are all playing 15-20BB deep like 4 hours in, ATC is possible.
  • You said yourself...
    Preflop opener has an extremely wide range I think.

While it isn't ATC...it is still many that you can beat imo.
  • See OP, it's the first decision you made to defend your blind with a shitty hand that caused you to have a difficult decision on the river. Why are you playing A9s for anything other than the flush draw?
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    See OP, it's the first decision you made to defend your blind with a shitty hand that caused you to have a difficult decision on the river. Why are you playing A9s for anything other than the flush draw?

Fair assessment.

You're folding pre? If not, are you folding the 1/3 pot bet on the flop? Raising?
  • How about keeping the same line on the flop but leading turn?

I think I call here because you beat enough of his range that it warrants a call. You are almost getting 2:1 here with his almost PSB and I think your hand is good >1/3 of the time.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Meh...he was on the button, game is young, lots of idiots still in it..He plays AQ, AJ, Ax for that matter all the same here.. turn is a weak bet because he doesn't know any better.

This is what I thought. I figured his range is A2+ and sets.

I dont think 66 that hits or 77 that wiffs playes the flop like that - which polarizes to any ace or a ridiculous bluff.

I call and he shows AQ.

I posted because I want to see peoples thought processes on range assignments early. Depending on how tight you assign randoms, the process changes.

I think in most cases, I assign villains range too loose (in a vaccuum, it worked this time). But not sure if it is long term profitable.
    This is the 2nd blind level and we are +100BB deep. If youre putting villains range as ATC you dont do enough analysis in your game.

If we are all playing 15-20BB deep like 4 hours in, ATC is possible.

the story he tells doesn't make sense. did he donk you on the river or is he over playing his cards? either way he is not smart therefore he can have any two cards. he bet big on the turn, if he has a monster why does he expect you to call? his turn was fine but the all in on the river is russian roullete with a strong caller

i appreciate you barking back im learning here not teaching
    This is what I thought. I figured his range is A2+ and sets.

I dont think 66 that hits or 77 that wiffs playes the flop like that - which polarizes to any ace or a ridiculous bluff.

I call and he shows AQ.

I posted because I want to see peoples thought processes on range assignments early. Depending on how tight you assign randoms, the process changes.

I think in most cases, I assign villains range too loose (in a vaccuum, it worked this time). But not sure if it is long term profitable.

what i learned here lately is im assigning villians to hands not range and playing to tight i think. ive been running my numbers with hands and have now learned to do range.

edit i mean from everyone on the forum ...for this tread im looser on the range but id like to have a better spot for so many chips
  • after thinking about it, gtd he has kk, or what Dennis said Aj,AQ, A6. One of those hands.

Edit

FML i just looked down after typing this and you posted the answer, well my first guess was pretty close:)
  • philliivey wrote: »
    after thinking about it, gtd he has kk, or what Dennis said Aj,AQ, A6. One of those hands.

Edit

FML i just looked down after typing this and you posted the answer, well my first guess was pretty close:)

Lets say KK. after hero calls the large turn bet, the villian thinks he can get the hero to lay down his ace? if it were KK its still a bad bet on the river, i think any cards suggest an overplayed or sucked out hand.
  • darbday wrote: »
    Lets say KK. after hero calls the large turn bet, the villian thinks he can get the hero to lay down his ace? if it were KK its still a bad bet on the river, i think any cards suggest an overplayed or sucked out hand.

i doubt it, don't mind me, a few people donk bet with trips on flop, so i was just going by flop bet for that rambling,lol and not the overall picture until i started thinking it over.:)