Two quick questions...

Hey... two questions that I think are gaps in my game... any advice would be awesome!

The first issue I have is playing the Dumb End of a 4-board straight. Frankly, I think I fold this hand too often. Any advice? What about if I'm holding top kicker (some A)?

The second comes when I am dealt small-medium pocket pairs. I find myself folding these hands anytime a Face'd overcard hits on the flop, and somebody before me bets. Is that too often? I feel predictable always folding this hand to that play.

Thanks in advance.
~End

Comments

• End wrote: »
    Hey... two questions that I think are gaps in my game... any advice would be awesome!

The first issue I have is playing the Dumb End of a 4-board straight. Frankly, I think I fold this hand too often. Any advice? What about if I'm holding top kicker (some A)?

The second comes when I am dealt small-medium pocket pairs. I find myself folding these hands anytime a Face'd overcard hits on the flop, and somebody before me bets. Is that too often? I feel predictable always folding this hand to that play.

Thanks in advance.
    ~End

If you think your pocket pair is good, than put pressure on him to find out where you stand. Thats what I would do, others would have a different opinion.

By the way, I found it quiet funny when I read "two quick questions". I'm sure you can figure it out :P
  • I can't remember hitting the dumb end of a four card straight, so I think my game differs hugely from yours. There are times i'll call, times i'll raise, times i'll fold. As for pocket pairs, as long as I get in cheaply I don't mind folding until I hit a set. If buddy bets into me then if I have a strong read i'll call or re raise but I don't think I lose much on folding, you rarely can beat any type of hand, especially if its not heads up.

****I didn't see this was in "ask the pro" and i don't know how to delete it ;( *****
  • The first issue I have is playing the Dumb End of a 4-board straight. Frankly, I think I fold this hand too often. Any advice? What about if I'm holding top kicker (some A)?

Holy shit.. read the rules of poker.. forget about everything else.
  • I cannot believe I'm doing this, but . . .

sfthis. ^^^^
  • I'm here for the gangbang.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I'm here for the gangbang.

But . . . I never learned to share.
  • End wrote: »

Thanks in advance.
    ~End

It seems the gap in your game really isnt these situations. To me it seems that your game relates more to ranging opponents. In situations like the two you're talking about you need to use previous observations and the range that you assign your opponent to make a decision as to whether you think they bet more often when they have the best hand or if they bet more often when they have a worse hand or are bluffing.