Options

Opr

what rating do i need on opr to quit my job. Does it work like that? What are some things i should know about this site. What other sites am i missing, i heard of sharkscope, pt3, poker stove, opr, and the coaching site you guys recommend.

Comments

• duplicate, im retarded
  • If you're showing a positive $100G for the year, quit your job...other than that, keep grinding part time.
  • but what if i don't need 100,000....i think 30,000 or 60,000
  • darbday wrote: »
    but what if i don't need 100,000....i think 30,000 or 60,000
    So how long have you been consistantly been making a decent living at poker? 1 year, 2 years, more? Remember short term variance, and short term can be a loooong time, like 6 months. Just ask the regulars. You would need at least 6 months living expenses behind you plus an appropriate bankroll for the level you are playing at. 30K is not much of a living.... :(
    what rating do i need on opr to quit my job. Does it work like that? What are some things i should know about this site. What other sites am i missing, i heard of sharkscope, pt3, poker stove, opr, and the coaching site you guys recommend.

For cash games...

Play 300,000 hands.

If you're consistently making 100K/year you have the skill.

You need skill + 100 buyins + 12 months living expenses.

Then you can quit your job.
  • Also if you get regularly get the best starting position at the beginning of tournaments, then you can quit your job and go pro as well.
  • compuease wrote: »
    So how long have you been consistantly been making a decent living at poker? 1 year, 2 years, more? Remember short term variance, and short term can be a loooong time, like 6 months. Just ask the regulars. You would need at least 6 months living expenses behind you plus an appropriate bankroll for the level you are playing at. 30K is not much of a living.... :(

no i haven't made 30k nor a decent living, im just wondering what numbers to shoot for. I appreciate all the number in this paragraph i will use them
  • For cash games...

Play 300,000 hands.

If you're consistently making 100K/year you have the skill.

You need skill + 100 buyins + 12 months living expenses.

Then you can quit your job.

thank you, ive been playing 90% of my time in mtts, im starting to win at sit n goes though now, but cash games destroy me and i haven't found out why yet. my mtt stats are fine i think

thanks
  • actyper wrote: »
    Also if you get regularly get the best starting position at the beginning of tournaments, then you can quit your job and go pro as well.

what does this mean? you mean qualifiers? what is a starting position?
  • when i make a 30 G payout i'm out this work hole
  • That's nowhere near enough. Even IF you have already paid off your house mortgage and are debt-free, maximized your RRSP and TFSA, and have no dependents, you better not burn bridges at your work hole as a $30K prize won't last long and you'll probably need to find a job soon.
    darbday wrote: »
    when i make a 30 G payout i'm out this work hole
    also if you get regularly get the best starting position at the beginning of tournaments, then you can quit your job and go pro as well.

darbday wrote: »
    what does this mean? You mean qualifiers? What is a starting position?

rofl
    What other sites am i missing, i heard of sharkscope, pt3, poker stove, opr, and the coaching site you guys recommend.

I don't play much online, but if you have only heard of these online tools, I would say you have a long way to go before giving up your day job.

You ask for opinions, well if I was you, I would take the time and energy you are putting into playing poker and spend it on learning a valuable trade that you can make a decent living at. Then you will have something to fall back on if poker doesn't work out.

Poker = a hard way to earn an easy living.
  • Yeah definitely keep it as a hobby...take the game seriously but never quit your day job....
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I don't play much online, but if you have only heard of these online tools, I would say you have a long way to go before giving up your day job.

You ask for opinions, well if I was you, I would take the time and energy you are putting into playing poker and spend it on learning a valuable trade that you can make a decent living at. Then you will have something to fall back on if poker doesn't work out.

Poker = a hard way to earn an easy living.

thanks. I already have my trade, and i work 7 days on 7 off so this will be my hobby for 7 days straight. im in the top 2 percentile of my poker site, in a year of playing so i figure i'll only get better from there, but i don't know what good stats are supposed to look like
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    That's nowhere near enough. Even IF you have already paid off your house mortgage and are debt-free, maximized your RRSP and TFSA, and have no dependents, you better not burn bridges at your work hole as a $30K prize won't last long and you'll probably need to find a job soon.

but now were talking about personal finances and financial goals..i guess this sways the numbers...i don't do rrsp or tfsa, i put all of it in real estate... i guess its about how much you make on poker vs. how much you need...
  • That was alot of good advice, but can't help thinking that the day job gets in the way.
  • I think if you work 7 days on and 7 days off why would you want to quit the day job? Ideally good players don't play everyday. They only play during certain days where game selection is key.

If you really want to get technical you should be playing all day sunday where all the majors are on. Not too mention you should be on multiple sites game selecting and sourcing out tournaments with softer fields and possible overlay.

A lot of people think they are good at this game, including myself, but I know people who are a lot better than I am and hearing their ups and downs and the constant struggle to stay a float when variance kicks in.

I suggest reading some blogs of good players, to get an idea of what months of poker is like.
    thanks. I already have my trade, and i work 7 days on 7 off so this will be my hobby for 7 days straight. im in the top 2 percentile of my poker site, in a year of playing so i figure i'll only get better from there, but i don't know what good stats are supposed to look like

I'm estimating here but making 8k profit a year on Stars will get you in the top 2 percentile. So don't use that figure to determine if you can go pro or not.
  • I think if you make it into the top 10 the Bristol November 9 you can safely quit your job and play poker for a living. Its like Danny turning into the Karate kid with a couple of car washes. (and seriously wasnÈt Elizabeth Shue the hottest when you were a kidÉ Adventure in babysitting...so sweet)

(I canÈt get my question mark or apostrophe to work it keeps coming out as È and É what the hellÉ)
    I'm estimating here but making 8k profit a year on Stars will get you in the top 2 percentile. So don't use that figure to determine if you can go pro or not.

Shit. Turning any online profit gets you in the top 5%.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Shit. Turning any online profit gets you in the top 5%.
    lol, I'm up $542. this calendar year, so I'm in the top 5%??
    wow, I didn't know I was that good... hehe. and I only play mostly $3-5 tournies and sng's... Just cashed 3rd in a Party Poker $2. one, out of 154 for $24. Maybe I'm a pro already and nobody told me...
  • I think if you work 7 days on and 7 days off why would you want to quit the day job? Ideally good players don't play everyday. They only play during certain days where game selection is key.

If you really want to get technical you should be playing all day sunday where all the majors are on. Not too mention you should be on multiple sites game selecting and sourcing out tournaments with softer fields and possible overlay.

A lot of people think they are good at this game, including myself, but I know people who are a lot better than I am and hearing their ups and downs and the constant struggle to stay a float when variance kicks in.

I suggest reading some blogs of good players, to get an idea of what months of poker is like.

great reply. i suppose if you wanted to make the most you would source out softer fields but if you wanted to be the best that might not be true. i realize that you have to do your homework....

i realize its not stellar or anything what i meant was what is the benchmark, as far as a site like opr for a pro
    great reply. i suppose if you wanted to make the most you would source out softer fields but if you wanted to be the best that might not be true. i realize that you have to do your homework....

Part of being the best is being able to game select. Why do you think the nosebleeds fill up with Guy Liberte shows up or some other fish comes out to play. If you are doing this for a living you want to play at the highest stakes possible for the most part with the easiest fields.

I would rather go play 10/20NL live then 10/20NL online as an example....
    i realize its not stellar or anything what i meant was what is the benchmark, as far as a site like opr for a pro

What were saying is "Don't use it as a benchmark!!!!!!!"

Who cares how you rank, where you rank vs others, its whats in your pocket that matters.
  • Part of being the best is being able to game select.

What kind of stats do you look at for online game selection (cash)? I don't play much online but I really don't consider this. Usually when I play I am lucky to find an open seat and just pick the first two that become available. More because my time playing online is limited to 1-2 hours at most. I usually look for games with more money on the table vs a lot of short stacks.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    What kind of stats do you look at for online game selection (cash)? I don't play much online but I really don't consider this. Usually when I play I am lucky to find an open seat and just pick the first two that become available. More because my time playing online is limited to 1-2 hours at most. I usually look for games with more money on the table vs a lot of short stacks.

I am much the same...just picking whats available. Usually only playing in the .25/.50 cash to 1/2 cash. Though, and maybe this is wrong, I am liking the tables with the short stacks...they seem to be eager to double up more often than not by taking bigger risks....
    What were saying is "Don't use it as a benchmark!!!!!!!"

Who cares how you rank, where you rank vs others, its whats in your pocket that matters.

so if i win the million dollar jackpot first hand i ever play then i'm a pro right?

• I suggest reading some blogs of good players, to get an idea of what months of poker is like.

Good advice,

Any blogs in particular you like?