Flopped Flush in Live $1-2 NLHE

Effective Stacks:

Hero(BB): $350
UTG: $250
Button: $700

This is a limped pot (7) players, I'm in the BB with :6c:jc,

Flop: :2c:3c:9c

I check, UTG bets $15, Button Calls, I call.

Turn: :2d

I check, UTG bets $25, Button Calls, I raise to $75, UTG Calls, Button Folds.

River: :3d

I bet out $75, UTG takes his time and jams it in, I of course auto muck.

How bad did I play this one?

Here was my thinking at the time, and my reads on the players:

UTG: young kid with no clue (been at table 2 orbits, rebuy once already), but tight. Put him on the dry A with possible pair.

Button: Solid player, put him on the 9 with possible club backup. Not worried about him at all in this hand (unless another club was to show up).

Comments

• on the flop, after the raise to $15 and one caller, I likely pump it up to $65 ($50 raise). If the other player had a set on the flop, once you raise, if you get re-raised at this point, all the chips are likely going in the middle. If the other player also flopped a better flush, not much you can do. If they have a set, the hand just plays itself out and your ahead on the flop.

If you only get a call when you raise to $65, and the board pairs, you can come out with a decent bet to see where you stand ($75-$100 range). But if you get a caller, you are likely committed anyways with your remaining stack. You really need to assess what hands this player might be likely to push with. They may also have a flush draw (A or K of clubs) and a pair.

btw, I likely would bet on the flop and not check-call. If I get a re-raise on the flop, all my chips are in the middle before the turn.

Flopped flushes can be dangerous as a lot of players will chase with Ac or Kc and if they hit, you are screwed. Although if you control the pot correctly, this can be a profitable situation.

Based on the way you played the hand, come the river with two pairs on board, flush is likely second best and folding at this point is fine (IMO). Not sure why you are betting at this point?

I remember a live 2/5 hand where I flopped a king high flush and lost to another player who flopped an ace high flush. Shit happens.
  • I think you should get accustomed to betting flopped flushes. I would check if I saw someone reaching for chips to bet. On the river it is $85 to call? I would call.
  • Meistro wrote: »
    On the river it is $85 to call? I would call.

No need for me to waste $85 here to know I'm beat....the kid played ABC poker, which made this a very easy fold. There is no hand I can beat that raises this river.

His holdings were :ac:2s , or so he told me.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Based on the way you played the hand, come the river with two pairs on board, flush is likely second best and folding at this point is fine (IMO). Not sure why you are betting at this point?
    QUOTE]

The way the hand played out, I disagree. The only hands I'm losing to are A2, A3 and slowplayed pocket 9's (or quads of course).

I bet out to ensure I didn't have to call a $160 river dry A bluff. If I bet out, there's no way he raises without any of the above 3 hands, and makes it an easy fold.
  • I bet out to ensure I didn't have to call a $160 river dry A bluff. If I bet out, there's no way he raises without any of the above 3 hands, and makes it an easy fold.

I prefer a bet on the flop or turn; its a bit too late come the river. This guy is likely not folding the nut flush draw with a pair on the flop so if you got your money in on the flop, not much else you could do.
  • Corey I think you should've pumped the flop like you did the turn man, if you put a 3x - 4x raise and still get callers, and jam the turn with more $$ I think you come out with the W in this one.
  • schabs wrote: »
    Corey I think you should've pumped the flop like you did the turn man, if you put a 3x - 4x raise and still get callers, and jam the turn with more $$ I think you come out with the W in this one.

Yeah, I agree, played it too soft on the flop. I have PLO syndrome where I like to keep the pot small until the turn.....lol......back to PLO I go.

You playing any at Yellowhead this weekend?
  • last night I flopped a king high flush in a 2/5 game; there is about $70 in the pot so I am first to act and I bet $75; some clown comes over the top for another $100; he only has about $70 behind so I put him all in. He insta calls and I ask, 'you got the ace of clubs?' he shakes his head and shows top pair. Got to bet your hands!
  • The only way to play a flopped flush is aggressively. If board pairs on turn you already committed so full speed ahead.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »

+1 with the above statement.
  • schabs wrote: »
    Corey I think you should've pumped the flop like you did the turn man, if you put a 3x - 4x raise and still get callers, and jam the turn with more $$ I think you come out with the W in this one.

If Villian has Ac2x he is not folding the turn if he gets there for any amount of money, figure he now has trips with a redraw to a boat or the nut flush. I wouldnt be surprised if he puts his first born in that pot.