Options

A few questions on mtt strategy...

What should my roi% be for a rookie, novice, intermediate pro?

What is a good Itm?

Is the competition stiffer from say a 9$ tourney to a 109$? Seems to me there could be more rich guys who don't know how to play?

I've divided my "M" rating into three parts 1-7, 7-10, 10 plus and i play accordingly (plus reads and timing).....any thoughts on the classes?

If win a bunch of low stakes tourneys, but lose a couple of higher stakes say 2 that are worth all of my low stakes winnings, does that make my ROI% way down even if i'd been winning 8 out of 10 (but lost 2 big ones)?

Any other thoughts?

thanks

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    Is the competition stiffer from say a 9$ tourney to a 109$? Seems to me there could be more rich guys who don't know how to play?

Online, no. Highstakes MTT are full of regs who will own you.

Live, it doesnt matter what the buyin, people are terrible.
  • ITM doesn't matter as much as ROI. At the end of the day, all MTTs are very very top heavy, and just because you have a high ITM will not automatically generate a positive ROI. Ideally, you are ITM about 15% of the time, but that is not a figure you should place so much emphasis on. ROI should be your focus as it will tell whether you are a winning MTT player or not.

And online, anything $100 you will have a bunch of regs who grind those out, so basically if you are starting out as a MTT player, you probably will not have a +ev in any tourney $50+.

As Wetts said, live is a different story. Unless you entered into the $40K NLHE at the WSOP, all live tournaments will have terrible players. (heck, even the $40K NLHE had some fishes in it).

I would say shy away from the higher stakes for now, unless you satellite into them (satellite into Sunday Million/Warm-up/Mulligan/Second chance, etc). Those big Sunday tournaments usually have pretty weak fields, and are the ones you should take a shot at.

And yes, in your example about winning low stakes and losing high stakes, it would dramatically lower your ROI. Because your ROI is essentially how much you win per how much you put in. So it ignores the stakes and merely looks at your entry fee and place that against your winnings.
  • thx both
  • westside8 wrote: »
    ITM doesn't matter as much as ROI. At the end of the day, all MTTs are very very top heavy, and just because you have a high ITM will not automatically generate a positive ROI. Ideally, you are ITM about 15% of the time, but that is not a figure you should place so much emphasis on. ROI should be your focus as it will tell whether you are a winning MTT player or not.

Yes it kinda bugs me when people talk about ITM, and how their itm% is so high etc. For mtts its a useless stat IMO