Folding top pair, top kicker.

Another question about a situation that came up during the Remembrance Day tournament in Calgary last week. I'm just copying and pasting this from www.flushdraw.ca as the guy who was involved in the hand came and posted about it.

"Playing in the remembrance day tourney at Cash. I should first say I don't usually like playing too many hands in the first orbit, cause I like to get a feel for the table. We started with 3000 chips.

But I get dealt AK suited first hand, 2 guys limp in front of me and I raise it 4x BB(100), guy next to me calls as does the 2 other limpers. Flop is Ac 10h 3d. Checked to me and I bet 150 (I should have bet more) guy next to me raises to 600. 2 limpers fold, I just call thinking this guy will slow down if I call. Turn brings a 5 and I check to him (probably showed weakness here) and he goes all in.

Know I'm thinking what does this guy have. I have top pair top kicker but I'm easily beaten by a set or 2 pair, I didn't think he would call a preflop raise with 2 4.

I finally decide to fold but I fold face up to show that I had a strong hand."

Comments about this hand? Was the fold the right move? What range of hands would you put the all-in better on?

Comments

• Why would you fold that hand face up? That just tells people that you'll fold a good hand when up against a tough call. If you're going to muck it, muck it face down. Don't give info like that away. Yes you should have pushed this hand a lot harder on the flop. I would say a pot sized bet is in order on the flop. If he comes over the top of you at that point then you have a choice to make.
  • I probably would have called. It looks to me like he does not want action.

And yes, NEVER muck hands like that face up. If you show me a fold like that I am going to pound on you every chance I get. Your gap will be too big.