Decent Semi-bluff line?

This didn't work....BUT villain did tank a while before calling. I'm wondering if I bet a bit larger if he lays this down. Also wondering if we're playing for say 100 dollars rather than 65 cents if he lays this down.

PokerStars Game #28912899340: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2009/06/02 15:43:49 ET
Table 'Anhui II' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Rema15 ($9.50 in chips)
Seat 2: dimsss ($7.45 in chips)
Seat 3: Stresow ($2.21 in chips)
Seat 4: Rafau911 ($2.01 in chips)
Seat 5: Quinner777 ($5.01 in chips)
Quinner777: posts small blind $0.02
Rema15: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [Ts Ad]
dimsss: folds
Stresow: calls $0.05
Rafau911: folds
Quinner777: calls $0.03
Rema15: checks
*** FLOP *** [5d Jc 9s]
Quinner777: checks
Stresow: checks
*** TURN *** [5d Jc 9s] [Ac]
Rema15 has timed out
Stresow: bets $0.25
Quinner777: calls $0.25
Rema15 has timed out
Rema15: folds
*** RIVER *** [5d Jc 9s Ac] [Qc]
Rema15 is sitting out
Rema15 has returned
18Don81 joins the table at seat #6
Stresow: bets $0.20
Quinner777: raises $0.45 to $0.65
Stresow: calls $0.45
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Quinner777: shows [Ts Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Stresow: shows [As Ks] (a pair of Aces - King kicker)
Stresow collected $1.90 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.95 | Rake $0.05
Board [5d Jc 9s Ac Qc]
Seat 1: Rema15 (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 2: dimsss folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Stresow showed [As Ks] and won ($1.90) with a pair of Aces
Seat 4: Rafau911 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Quinner777 (small blind) showed [Ts Ad] and lost with a pair of Aces

Comments

• I'd like it more without the q and j on the board, AK is the only hand you could make him fold that you would need him to fold. And trying to make microlimit players fold AK is hard enough without an ace on the board :P
  • Your hand has good value as a bluff catcher, check/call imo.

There is no need to raise the river. You're only getting called by hands that destroy you.

The line as a bluff is too weak. He's still getting 3/1 on a call, and your range has been pretty polarized based on flop/turn action. Hammer raise if you're gonna make a play.
  • I think if your goal was to get him to lay his hand down you need to bet a bit more than that. If you had of reraised for like 75 cents to a dollar he probably would have let it go.
  • I like to try and think of what story I'm telling someone when I play a hand, you called preflop from the SB ("Well, nobody raised, but there's some money out there, I may as well call for this little with my crappy cards").

Flop- check ("Well, I missed")

Turn- check / call ("oooh, that Ace will keep me around" OR "That ace doesn't scare me").

River - Check / raise? ("hahhaa, trapped you" or "Hail mary attempt to win the pot").

My feeling is that you would have had to bet WAY more than you did to get him away from TPTK, the runner runner flush draw or the gutshot straight? Nah... hard to buy it, especially since you called such a large bet on the turn (and forgive me, if you'd spent any time at the table, you probably have a tight / good player image, if he's paying attention at all). I think the only bet that he thinks about folding is putting him all in. Your "bluff" story isn't as believeable as your baby ace story.

Mark
  • Cool thanks guys.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Your hand has good value as a bluff catcher, check/call imo.

There is no need to raise the river. You're only getting called by hands that destroy you.

The line as a bluff is too weak. He's still getting 3/1 on a call, and your range has been pretty polarized based on flop/turn action. Hammer raise if you're gonna make a play.

+1

No one at the micros is folding AK there pretty much. You should be looking for spots to semi-bluff when you have decent draws, but stay away from FPS!