How often do you c-bet?

I find that I continuation bet ALOT of flops say around the 70% level. I do check sometimes with top pair to mix things up, but I'd say the majority of the time my c-bets are bluffs on dry boards that probably also didn't hit my opponent. Sometimes though, especially on nights where I am not really hitting but I'm still c-betting alot, it just feels like I'm doing it too much and when I do actually get called on the flop the action typically looks something like this.

Flop

Hero: Bets 2/3 pot
Villain: calls
Hero:checks
Villain: Bets
Hero folds

Unless the turn improves me I almost always end up folding to any subsequent action. Even with strong hands like AK if I completely whiff I pretty much give up on them. I'm just wondering if c-betting too frequently is a leak in my game....

Comments

• I guess I cbet a lot myself. But I think it really depends on a few things.

First, if I am the preflop aggressor, and get one caller, I will most certainly cbet everytime, roughly 1/2 to 2/3 pot, regardless of the flop. I might go more if I have an overpair on a very draw heavy board, then I will bet pot size.

Against multiple opponents, though, I tend to not cbet as often unless I catch a piece of the flop. Again, it all depends on the opponents (tight or loose, passive or aggressive), my position at the time, and how hard my hand hit the flop. Against tight players, I'll cbet more liberally...against loose players I rather like to check/call and then fire a shot on the turn.

Again, a lot of factors dictate how often I will cbet. First though, if you're the preflop aggressor, you HAVE to cbet.
  • my advice is to cbet most of the time (70% probably sounds about right). however, there's nothing wrong with check/calling for a stretch on a table simply to change up your game and keep your opponents guessing. i find in lower limit online cash games, cbets are not well respected very often (obviously depending). however, check/calls can be very intimidating to some players.
  • The key with C-betting is understanding your table image and how flops can have hit your range or missed your opponents range.

If you have been playing TAG for most of the session and you raise and then c-bet a 5410 flop most likely a good player may play back at you.

So really its not a matter of what % you are c-betting but mainly which spots are you picking to c-bet based on the board and who you are up against.
  • One play I like to make is say playing small pocket pairs aggressively on the button. I basically c-bet every flop, and its great because on big flops (aka K J x) my opponents have to guess ok does he have AK? KJ? Or on little flops (10 5 4) I most likely am holding the best hand. Of course if I do get resistance, I have to go with my reads and alot of the time end up folding but I like making this move because it tends to make my opponents look me up lighter than they really ought to. Then I proceed to punish them thoroughly when I do make a decent hand.

This doesn't typically work on the stronger players but weaker ones love to pay me off. And at 2/5 cent there is a plenty of those around. :D
  • Heads up? Usually, unless there's some interesting meta game going on. Multiway? Seldom, unless I've got "it".
  • It basically boils down to giving you 2 ways to win: opponent folds or you have the best hand.

The cbet math also works out in your favour which is really what makes aggressive play profitable.

You bet 1/2 pot, you need opponent to fold 33% of the time to show instant profit regardless of what happens after that. Bet 2/3 pot, you need it to work 40%. Full pot requires 50%. And this is assuming you have zero equity nevermind the times you actually have a draw or the best hand to add to your profit. ime my cbet success rate is around 55% which is why it's good to cbet with a high frequency.

Of course you can just c/f your AK on Ts9s8d because those flops smash most opponents' preflop calling ranges and you get very few folds. Multiway pots also decrease your fold equity. But in most headsup cases it's best to cbet especially with overcards because a) you might already have the best hand, b) you can win by getting opponent to fold and c) you still have 6 outs to improve in most cases.