4-handed tourney situation.

34 players to start, down to final 4. (top 6 pay, though very heavily weighted top 3)

Blinds 300/600 no ante. Stacks in positional order are approx: SB = 16K, BB = 3K, UTG = 8K, Button 5K.

UTG folds, I am button with QQ. I've been able to steal a healthy portion of blinds preflop and I know the players all have some respect for my raises.

SB (chipleader) is a loose player. I've seen him commit a lot of his chips earlier with drawing hands, as well as playing all-ins with low pairs. He got to be chipleader with Ace-rag against KK... Also won a big pot with 55 vs TT and spiked a set. He may play with me if he has anything at all..

BB will not protect unless he has a monster.

I make my standard 2K raise. SB comes over the top to push me all in. BB folds.

What do you do?

Comments

• Forgot to mention with the payouts, the difference between 5th and 4th place is $10... difference between 4th and 3rd is $110.

For some stupid reason....
  • If you fold, you become the short stack and only have enough for a couple more times around the table. If you win the hand, you are right up there with the big stack.

Even if you give him credit for any Ace, you are a 65% favourite to win the hand. If he was as good as AKs, you are *still* a 53% favourite!

Winning this hand gives you a very good chance to finish much higher in the money. If you fold now, you can still battle back but not without taking higher risks than going in with QQ now.

This is a good hand to risk going broke with. I'd take the chance on it. You aren't likely to see many better before your chips run out.

Was it a mistake to commit this many chips pre-flop? What does everyone else think?
  • call it in a heart beat ... QQ 4-handed is an absolute monster ...

could he have aces or kings possibly but not probably. So 1 hand in the deck he's a near cointoss (AK), Two hands (AA, KK) he's a big favourite, any other pair you have him dominated and are 2/3 vs. A-rag.

But , but with the pot at 7600 and you needing to put, 3000 to win almost 11,000 ... you almost even have the pot odds against even the two over pairs, in the unlikely event he has em.

Plus you become the chip leader and can run over the table vs. being crippled and trying to survive a few rounds.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    SB (chipleader) is a loose player. I've seen him commit a lot of his chips earlier with drawing hands, as well as playing all-ins with low pairs. He got to be chipleader with Ace-rag against KK... Also won a big pot with 55 vs TT and spiked a set. He may play with me if he has anything at all..

Assuming the payout jumps between 3rd and 2nd, and then between 2nd and 1st are at least as large as between 3rd and 4th, you definitely call.

If he's a loose player, chances are you're the favourite at this point (assuming he would go all-in with AQ, AJ, JJ, TT, or other dominated hands). If you fold, you'll be the short stack (or mighty close to it), and have to try to claw your way into 3rd. If you call and win, you're just shy of being the chip leader, and have an excellent chance of finishing in 2nd place or winning.

While it hurts to lose the $110 if you call and get beaten, the improvement in your chances of taking 2nd or 1st probably makes it worth it.
  • Hork42 wrote:
    34 players to start, down to final 4. (top 6 pay, though very heavily weighted top 3)

Blinds 300/600 no ante. Stacks in positional order are approx: SB = 16K, BB = 3K, UTG = 8K, Button 5K.

UTG folds, I am button with QQ. I've been able to steal a healthy portion of blinds preflop and I know the players all have some respect for my raises.

BB will not protect unless he has a monster.

I make my standard 2K raise. SB comes over the top to push me all in. BB folds.

What do you do?

Sounds like you were happy to steal the blinds. Only if I was holding QT or 44, would I be happy with the blinds. With QQ, I'm aiming to double up, and would have put more of a carrot for the SB out there, something like 1800. As it turns out, he does exactly what I want, and the chips go in faster than he can say "did you call".
  • But , but with the pot at 7600 and you needing to put, 3000 to win almost 11,000 ...

Careful with pot odds calculation. The chips you are being charged to call (in this case the 3,000) are not to be counted as being in the pot. The pot odds here are 7,600 to 3,000 which reduces to about 2.5 to 1. You can't call if you *know* your opponent has an overpair.

I see no reason to either put your opponent exactly on an overpair, or be risk averse after committing the first 2,000 in chips. This is an easy call I think.

ScottyZ
  • Once again I call aswell. I think I know how this hand is going to end. You call and SB shows A10 and spikes an A on the flop.....or something like this. Your out in 4th.
    :) Wader
  • He may play with me if he has anything at all..
    You wanted this situation and got it. Easy call. If SB wakes up to a monster then bad luck for you. This is a dream situation for you to get your money in the middle.

I guess the SB beats you on this hand. There is nothing you can do at this point if the cards are on the darkside.
  • Thanks for correcting me there scotty. Still the point was that he likely doesn't have the one of the two overpairs, but considering the other factors calling is still the right move.

ScottyZ wrote:
    Careful with pot odds calculation. The chips you are being charged to call (in this case the 3,000) are not to be counted as being in the pot. The pot odds here are 7,600 to 3,000 which reduces to about 2.5 to 1. You can't call if you *know* your opponent has an overpair.

I see no reason to either put your opponent exactly on an overpair, or be risk averse after committing the first 2,000 in chips. This is an easy call I think.

ScottyZ
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

Well, I called. SB had AA and I'm out in 4th.

I think calling was the right choice, and it seems to be unanimous in the responses to the post. But what bothered me most is that I didn't even think about it... Is this as automatic as it seems? Is this a wrist sprainer?

hork.