Overpairs in tourney's

How can I stop paying off sets with overpairs in tournaments?? Particularly low buy ins. I find myself in this spot almost every time I play a 4.40 tournament on stars. Which is to say its taken my chip stack 3 out of my last 5 tournaments.

I have QQ in early position (utg+1) i open to 3xBB get 2 callers. Flop comes down 2 7 9 with 2 clubs. I bet out a continuation bet of 5xBB. I then get min-raised to 10xBB. I call and check a non club turn. Villain makes a massive bet. Now what do I do? If I call I'm pot commited at this point, but laying this down seems so weak tight. I can't seem to get a read on these players.....help????

I ended up calling and shoving a club river (basically turning my Queens into a bluff) but set called anyway and I was crippled.

Comments

• Need a little more info as far as what level it was, what your stacks were at, etc.

Overpairs can ruin everyone. It's not supertight to fold when someone is betting that huge into you on that weak of a board. Think of it this way: if he's betting that much of his stack, is one pair really good?
  • You're right of course. But for me I always take it down to probablities. What are the chances that this donkhead hit his set the first time all tournament long I've got a big pair. And yet more often than not they do! At least lately. I've seriously run into sets in 3 of my last 7-8 QQ-AA pairs. Its ridiculous!! I don't seem to have any problem folding overpairs on flops that just look awful for them. But non scary flops seem to get me every time. :(
  • Too much analysis ITT.

Fact: You are going broke a vast majority of the time in the overpair vs. set scenario.

Take your lumps and move on.

Either that or fold pre so you dont lose.
  • I shove with QQ-AA preflop in 4.40x180.....someone snap calls all the time with a smaller pair or AX.

With the amount of regs in those 4.40s you need to build a chip stack as fast as possible early on so no point of getting fancy with big pairs. Shove and pray.
  • That is why regular mtt players multi-table. Sometimes your just beat. Deep stacked tournies you can get away from them, but other than that in low level tournies, its prob a +ev move getting it in with an overpair.
  • +1 on the shove and pray in these tourneys early, especially if you have trouble folding your overpair, scary board or not. And 97 times out of 100, you will get a call with any pp or any A. Still wondering how much your 3xr was from OP. Was this 10/20 blinds, or 1000/2000?
  • Hand History would be helpful. Sometimes a smaller pair outflops a bigger pair, got to learn to get away from it sometimes. Then again I have no info on the game...
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Too much analysis ITT.

Fact: You are going broke a vast majority of the time in the overpair vs. set scenario.

Take your lumps and move on.

Either that or fold pre so you dont lose.

Totally agree. OP, you are making it sound like this is happening to you almost every time you play a $4.40, however this probably isn't the case: it just feels that way because the times that it does happen it seems more significant mentally for you.

It's going to happen sometimes but definitely not often, there's no recipe for really soul-reading when someone hits a set, esp in donkaments when people are raising you on flops with so many different hands....