Analysis please

I don't want to throw TOO much weight into this hand because lately I've been saying to myself over and over again its only top pair top kicker as some sort of freak mantra to stop myself from overplaying a hand. However sometimes when spots like this come up I'm not sure what bet sizing I should be making.

PokerStars Game #28518572010: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2009/05/23 4:37:41 ET
Table 'Helene IX' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Quinner777 ($5.73 in chips)
Seat 2: Edik+$2 ($0.75 in chips)
Seat 3: Fecruz ($6.02 in chips)
Seat 4: Vinc53 ($4.34 in chips)
Seat 5: HotArte ($2.73 in chips)
Seat 6: PokerGerre ($4.64 in chips)
HotArte: posts small blind $0.01
PokerGerre: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [Kc Ad]
Quinner777: raises $0.06 to $0.08
Edik+$2: folds
Fecruz: folds
Vinc53: folds
HotArte: calls $0.07
PokerGerre: calls $0.06
*** FLOP *** [2h Ah 8d]
HotArte: bets $0.16
PokerGerre: calls $0.16
Quinner777: raises $0.28 to $0.44
HotArte said, "hm AK?)"
HotArte: calls $0.28
PokerGerre: calls $0.28
*** TURN *** [2h Ah 8d] [5c]
HotArte: checks
PokerGerre: bets $0.42
Quinner777: calls $0.42
HotArte: folds
*** RIVER *** [2h Ah 8d 5c] [4d]
PokerGerre: bets $1.12
Quinner777: calls $1.12
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PokerGerre: shows [Kh 3h] (a straight, Ace to Five)
Quinner777: mucks hand
PokerGerre collected $4.44 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $4.64 | Rake $0.20
Board [2h Ah 8d 5c 4d]
Seat 1: Quinner777 mucked [Kc Ad]
Seat 2: Edik+$2 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Fecruz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Vinc53 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: HotArte (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 6: PokerGerre (big blind) showed [Kh 3h] and won ($4.44) with a straight, Ace to Five

This whole hand I played a bit scared. And I think I have good reason, first off BOTH players call my re-raise.Small warning bells going off at this point. Then I get lead into on the turn....honestly now I have no idea where I'm at. I thought two things, flush draw, set or 2 pair. So I opted to call and see what happened on the river. The flush doesn't get there so I figure I can call anything not too ridiculous, I propbably should have folded river based on bet size but curiousity got the better of me. How would others have played this hand??

Comments

• I dont think you should sweat to much over it. Such weak play by villain. Generally with TPTK and getting bet into on the turn after getting called, I would like to think Id fold there or atleast on the river. He calls the flush draw then adds three outs with a gutshot and starts betting into you, you are never gonna read this. Generally fish in uNL call with a piece and raise with big hands so bully them if they call and only call them with the nuts.
  • If you add the price of your call to the flop bet the pots is
    $0.72. I would raise it here to about $1.40 - $1.50 with a plan to ship a non heart turn.
  • In a real game you should raise the turn get more info. But at 1c/2c he's calling no matter what you bet.

His bet on the river was perfect. Nice discipline on NOT raising with APTK.

I think HotArte also had the flush draw and knew when to get out.
  • Ok just a quick note...Poker Guerre is not folding for whatever amount you put in there. He has a straight draw/flush draw. The fact he didnt get more $$$ from you is good.

It's a tough spot just because of the super draw villian had. I think your re-raise on the flop was good but it just narrows his range down even more.

Nothing much you can do unless you want to make a hero fold on the river, which is still tough because of the action on all streets.
  • Raise bigger on flop and probably just move in on turn.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Raise bigger on flop and probably just move in on turn.

This, without a doubt.

Once you raise the flop, calling the turn is extremely weak...one thing you should try and remember when you're playing is that whenever players donk into you for a pretty weak bet, they either have a mediocre hand and just want to see if it's good (if you raise them they fold) or they want showdown for cheap, OR they are on some sort of draw and want to set their own price to draw to it.

I'd raise the flop to about $.60, and then shove almost every non-heart turn.
  • PREFLOP: Fine

FLOP: You need to raise more here. Youre not pricing out any flush draw and and aces with worse kickers are going to call more as well. Id have went to .70 - .75 range.

TURN: If you had raised bigger on the turn it would have been a no brainer shove. I still think its a shove since a player with a range of hands that are likely to beat us with that turn A5, 24, 58 is also going to have a lot of crap in his range we beat. So just put it in here.

RIVER: Meh, halfpsb...hard to put him on a 3. Id say probably a muck given that its obv. you have an ace and hes still betting but i dont think calling is a big mistake if one at all.
  • I agree with PokerKai. As played you gave him odds for drawing that made his call on the flop as well as the turnbet ev+. If you shove and he calls with this hand, be glad since you will win his stack 3 times out of 4. And even when you're looking on this hand from a more general point of view I don't think there's enough of two pairs and sets in it, given the texture of the board to make a shove unprofitable. But I might consider a smaller raise also, as long as it's big enough to deny him correct drawing odds
  • Ahh the standard CPF giving advice based on the hand that villian showed down

I'm so happy to see that nothing ever fucking changes around here. The readers never get better... the questions never change.. so... comfortable..
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Ahh the standard CPF giving advice based on the hand that villian showed down

I'm so happy to see that nothing ever fucking changes around here. The readers never get better... the questions never change.. so... comfortable..

Much like the standard BBC snark. I've missed that . . . like a warm Snuggie.

Hey!!! You kids get off my lawn!!!