Playing AJ and A10

How do you guys like to play these hands at a full table?

I tend to limp and then if no raises come pre flop I have a certain level of confidence should an ace hit the board. It seems to catch many smaller aces off gaurd. Of course short handed it's a different story. In late position with no limpers I mix in some raises.

Comments

• I tend to raise in late positions with minimal callers/limpers. Early position limp or raise depends on many things. Tight table / tight players in later positions I'll probably raise. Loose / agressive table probably fold. Avg table maybe limp.
  • I find great joy in folding these hands in any EP playing fullring.

Something about folding AJ UTG makes me feel like Im doing something right.

Seriously - Look in your DB at the hands youve played limping AJ or A10 anywhere in EP. I found it to be a huge leak of mine, and would be interested to see if anyone else had the same results.

This includes chip spew in tournaments and cash game leaks.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    I find great joy in folding these hands in any EP playing fullring.

Seriously - Look in your DB at the hands youve played limping AJ or A10 anywhere in EP. I found it to be a huge leak of mine, and would be interested to see if anyone else had the same results.

Absolutely correct, give me 8-10 suited in late position vs AJ in early anyday...!
  • wetts1012 wrote: »
    i find great joy in folding these hands in any ep playing fullring.

Something about folding aj utg makes me feel like im doing something right.

Seriously - look in your db at the hands youve played limping aj or a10 anywhere in ep. I found it to be a huge leak of mine, and would be interested to see if anyone else had the same results.

qft.
  • should definitely not be limping in with either of these...
  • Consider the game you're playing in.

In tough games players play AK and AQ.

In easy games players play A4.

When you're considering playing AJ, consider if your opponents are likely to go too far with A7.
  • Thats exactly what happened with me yesterday. Limped AJ flopped AJ6 made small bet 100 into 300 pot. 1 caller. Over the next 2 cards I took a guys entire stack and he turned over A7 for a pair of Aces. Of course this is not the norm.

I also play low level sngs so not the same caliber of players.
  • I'm starting to fold AJ in early position and will sometimes playing it near the button if not many callers. As mentioned, most players typically raise with AQ/AK so if an ace hits the flop you can usually play it strong (if no pre-flop action). Not unless you are up against tricky players that sometimes slowplay premium hands.

A10s or AJs might be worth a call to a small raise, hoping to hit a nice flop.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I'm starting to fold AJ in early position and will sometimes playing it near the button if not many callers.

A10s or AJs might be worth a call to a small raise, hoping to hit a nice flop.

If you are only playing AJ SOMETIMES from the button in unraised pots you are doing it wrong. Unless you have an awkward stack in a donkament.

Folding it in EP is fine but it is a profitable hand from LP unless facing a raise from a super nit in EP.
  • I think it is all read dependant. There are lots of times where I will open from early position with AJ and A10 in tough games and sometimes limp with them as well just to see a flop.

In tough games I will raise with it and if I find resistance it is an easy muck but most times if I am just called and an ace flops I am pretty much ahead of the callers range (once again going on the notion that AQ/AK would likely have re-raised preflop to isolate)

I think its about mixing up your game more than knowing when to play a certain hand in a certain position. As you gain more experience you can get away with being tricky providing you can lay down AJ if the read is correct.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    If you are only playing AJ SOMETIMES from the button in unraised pots you are doing it wrong.

its really table dependant; I play the same guys every week and there are lots of players that limp with AK/AQ, AA-QQ so even if I raise pre-flop on the button with these cards, I could still be really behind if a J or A high flop comes. AJs/A10s I play a lot more aggressively. Its really personal preference. Don't think there is really a right or wrong way to play any two cards.
  • I can't say I throw them away ALL the time...but from early position, I won't often play them...again, as many have said, it is situational. EP in late stages or bubble time...I will raise out of the gate with them..beginning of the tourney..they hit the muck..unless I decide I am going to make a loosey goosey impression out of the gate..then I will play and hopefully show these down cheap..
  • Ok...so I played this hand for this specific thread...lol..pretty nitty game, a bit of action in the first two hands to move some money and people...only primos shown for the most part

Full Tilt Poker Game #12350091021: $50 + $5 Sit & Go (92200943), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:19:01 ET - 2009/05/21
    Seat 1: prinspoker (2,035)
    Seat 3: Bcboy72 (1,455)
    Seat 4: Jorden4 (1,380)
    Seat 5: ptuhkim00 (1,500)
    Seat 6: PaperboySlim (1,220)
    Seat 7: skaterboy1986 (2,970)
    Seat 8: UwntbloodUgotit (1,440)
    Seat 9: fsk70 (1,500)
    UwntbloodUgotit posts the small blind of 15
    fsk70 posts the big blind of 30
    The button is in seat #7
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Bcboy72 [Jc Ah]
    prinspoker folds
    Bcboy72 raises to 90
    Jorden4 calls 90
    ptuhkim00 folds
    PaperboySlim folds
    skaterboy1986 folds
    UwntbloodUgotit folds
    fsk70 folds
    *** FLOP *** [Jh 9s 6c]
    Bcboy72 bets 120
    Jorden4 calls 120
    *** TURN *** [Jh 9s 6c] [3s]
    Bcboy72 bets 240
    Jorden4 calls 240
    *** RIVER *** [Jh 9s 6c 3s] [7h]

?? overpair? set? busted flush? usually very nitty game, so we don't expect straight draw..
  • Ok...so I played this hand for this specific thread...lol..pretty nitty game, a bit of action in the first two hands to move some money and people...only primos shown for the most part

Full Tilt Poker Game #12350091021: $50 + $5 Sit & Go (92200943), Table 1 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 13:19:01 ET - 2009/05/21
    Seat 1: prinspoker (2,035)
    Seat 3: Bcboy72 (1,455)
    Seat 4: Jorden4 (1,380)
    Seat 5: ptuhkim00 (1,500)
    Seat 6: PaperboySlim (1,220)
    Seat 7: skaterboy1986 (2,970)
    Seat 8: UwntbloodUgotit (1,440)
    Seat 9: fsk70 (1,500)
    UwntbloodUgotit posts the small blind of 15
    fsk70 posts the big blind of 30
    The button is in seat #7
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Bcboy72 [Jc Ah]
    prinspoker folds
    Bcboy72 raises to 90
    Jorden4 calls 90
    ptuhkim00 folds
    PaperboySlim folds
    skaterboy1986 folds
    UwntbloodUgotit folds
    fsk70 folds
    *** FLOP *** [Jh 9s 6c]
    Bcboy72 bets 120
    Jorden4 calls 120
    *** TURN *** [Jh 9s 6c] [3s]
    Bcboy72 bets 240
    Jorden4 calls 240

?? overpair? set? busted flush? usually very nitty game, so we don't expect straight draw..

Check call smaller bet as a bluff catcher, busted flush doesn't call a river bet, doesn't look like an over pair. So call smaller river bet if he makes it. If he goes all in so be it, then it's strictly read dependant.
  • This is when I time bank, do a quick check of OPR, find out that Jorden4 is a solid $55 SNG reg. and check call.

Solid regs arent usually calling EP raises with KJ and action behind.

Check fold if he ships.
    This is when I time bank, do a quick check of OPR, find out that Jorden4 is a solid $55 SNG reg. and check call.

Check fold if he ships.

lol...read my mind...exactly what I did..OPR is always open

not quite what I expected...made notes.

Bcboy72 checks
    Jorden4 bets 570
    Bcboy72 calls 570
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Jorden4 shows [8d 7d] a pair of Sevens
    Bcboy72 shows [Jc Ah] a pair of Jacks
    Bcboy72 wins the pot (2,085) with a pair of Jacks
    I find great joy in folding these hands in any EP playing fullring.

This + 1000
  • Yeah the constant call on the flop and turn usually means he is looking for a cheap showdown with his hand. NH!

I find nowadays too many people are looking at c-bets as a sign of weakness and are not adjusting accordingly.
  • kingkong wrote: »
    How do you guys like to play these hands at a full table?

I tend to limp and then if no raises come pre flop I have a certain level of confidence should an ace hit the board. It seems to catch many smaller aces off gaurd. Of course short handed it's a different story. In late position with no limpers I mix in some raises.

The problem with your strategy of limping in with A-J/A-10 is that you have no idea where you are when you hit your ace. There are two possibilities that beat you here. One, is that some people like limping with A-K/A-Q. If they are in the pot your kicker is not good. The other possibility is that you are in the pot with a small ace - possibly suited. You have no idea if they have hit two pair. If I am playing well, I either fold this hand, or raise with it to steal. I don't normally expect to win with this hand unless I hit two pair, or I hit the jack or 10 without the ace.
  • The problem with your strategy of limping in with A-J/A-10 is that you have no idea where you are when you hit your ace. There are two possibilities that beat you here. One, is that some people like limping with A-K/A-Q. If they are in the pot your kicker is not good. The other possibility is that you are in the pot with a small ace - possibly suited. You have no idea if they have hit two pair. If I am playing well, I either fold this hand, or raise with it to steal. I don't normally expect to win with this hand unless I hit two pair, or I hit the jack or 10 without the ace.

I think in these types of situations you usually find out where you are at on the turn. I will try to check A high or 10 flops if I am worried about someone limping in with a better kicker based on my history with the player (live), online I tend to play it a little more straight forward until you get resistance.

I think the key when playing AJ/A10 is pot control until you are reasonably sure you have the best hand.

The biggest reason why people lose with these hands or remember they lose the most, is the similar argument with AA...if you over value your hand you will most likely get yourself into bad situations where you are only a marginal favorite.

Post flop hand reading is definitely an advantage with these types of hands.
  • I like AJ ;)
    PokerStars Game #28492075383: Tournament #165788531, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2009/05/22 12:58:29 ET
    Table '165788531 2' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: nance1 (2405 in chips)
    Seat 2: annemor (1570 in chips)
    Seat 3: PRB31 (2641 in chips)
    Seat 4: garegerret (1296 in chips)
    Seat 5: Rolcsi88 (1720 in chips)
    Seat 6: Pommesbub (2452 in chips)
    Seat 7: Sir.Bohne (161 in chips)
    Seat 8: Molletsdeouf (2020 in chips)
    Seat 9: moxlee (3430 in chips)
    Pommesbub: posts small blind 50
    Sir.Bohne: posts big blind 100
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to PRB31 [Ac Jh]
    Molletsdeouf: folds
    moxlee: folds
    nance1: folds
    annemor: folds
    PRB31: raises 200 to 300
    garegerret: folds
    Rolcsi88: folds
    Pommesbub: folds
    Sir.Bohne: calls 61 and is all-in
    Uncalled bet (139) returned to PRB31
    *** FLOP *** [Ah Jd Th]
    *** TURN *** [Ah Jd Th] [Js]
    *** RIVER *** [Ah Jd Th Js] [9d]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Sir.Bohne: shows [7d 6h] (a pair of Jacks)
    PRB31: shows [Ac Jh] (a full house, Jacks full of Aces)
    PRB31 collected 372 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 372 | Rake 0
    Board [Ah Jd Th Js 9d]
    Seat 1: nance1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 2: annemor folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: PRB31 showed [Ac Jh] and won (372) with a full house, Jacks full of Aces
    Seat 4: garegerret folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Rolcsi88 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: Pommesbub (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 7: Sir.Bohne (big blind) showed [7d 6h] and lost with a pair of Jacks
    Seat 8: Molletsdeouf folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: moxlee folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    This is when I time bank, do a quick check of OPR, find out that Jorden4 is a solid $55 SNG reg. and check call.

Check fold if he ships.

Just curious OPR??
  • (official) Online Poker Rankings

Basically you can search up tourney history on any username....
  • Im done with the 1$ sng. I moved waayyyyyyy up ;) to the 3$ sng level and it's a better game. Less donks and generally more proper play. The few wild players usually get bumped off pretty quick for chasing hoop dreams.

I cashed in 5 of 6 so pretty good start.
  • Early position you need to muck A10 and might as well fold AJ. In late position I'll almost always open raise and usually raise loose limpers. Generally fold to any reraise. After the flop it is far too situational dependent to say anything without looking at a hand, but I will try to bet if I am winning and not bet if I am not winning.