Playing in the big stack vs. another big stack

This hand is from PokerSourceOnline's $5+1 league MTT. The play level is better than your typical $5+1, but half of them are still fish. With 13 left of 41 entrants, I'm in 2nd chip position (~9000) with another big stack, 4th probably (~7800) on my right (Button). Blinds are 200/400.

In the SB, I have 5 :heart: T :heart: . Button limps, I complete, and BB checks. The flop comes 3 hearts. I check, BB checks, Button bets out 2000. My read on him was A :heart: . At this point, there was 3200 in the pot. If I go all in, he has to put in 5400 to win 10,600 with seven outs. If his stack wasn't so close to mine, I would have pushed without hesitation (is this bad given that he'll have better odds with a smaller stack?) However, with my read on him of A :heart: and his chip position, I was considering just calling then releasing on the turn if a 4th heart came, and all-in if it didn't.

I didn't trust my read well enough, and I thought my pot equity edge was too great to pass by so I pushed. Sure enough, I got called by the A :heart:, and the fourth heart came on the turn, leaving me in second last chip position.

Any thoughts on my play and how to play vs. another big stack in general?

Comments

• I like your play here. IMO your opponent made the poor bet and then a poor call. He put all of his chips in on a draw, he keeps doing that and he'll get himself in trouble. As far as playing against a big stack, I look at it as a positive rather then a negative. Big stacks are more likely to call you down and double you up, I guess they are more likely to be dangerous calling stations in some situations. Dangerous because they might catch and put you out.

stp
  • If I am against an opponent that (1) I believe is on the flush draw; and (2) will not fold to a bet then I want to get to the turn before the money goes in. There are lots of players who will NEVER lay down a big flush draw. Against them, wait until the turn to move them in -- they will still call, but you will have better odds of winning.

On the other hand, if you are against a player who will fold flush draws then you probably want to move them in on the flop where there is a greater chance that you will get called.

In this case (going with your read) I would have flat called and then fired a bet on the turn (maybe 2000). If you are raised then you can much. Checking and folding the turn is also an option.

Having said that, you got all in as a 2-1 favourite. Do that a lot and you will win a lot of tournaments.