Best way to play this?

I hate spots like this. I never know how to get the maximum without overplaying my hand and/or getting absolutely trapped into paying off a better hand.

PokerStars Game #28173603192: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2009/05/14 1:10:25 ET
Table 'Benkoela' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: xiphactinus ($12.63 in chips)
Seat 3: iamthesensei ($7.20 in chips)
Seat 4: AAKonkAA ($11.32 in chips)
Seat 5: Quinner777 ($6.72 in chips)
Seat 6: HecklnDecalr ($13.27 in chips)
AAKonkAA: posts small blind $0.02
Quinner777: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [Th Ts]
iamthesensei said, "goddman"
HecklnDecalr: folds
iamthesensei said, "freakin reiver"
xiphactinus: folds
iamthesensei: raises $0.20 to $0.25
AAKonkAA: folds
xiphactinus said, "thats poker"
Quinner777: calls $0.20
*** FLOP *** [5d 8c Kh]
Quinner777: checks
iamthesensei: bets $0.25
Quinner777: calls $0.25
*** TURN *** [5d 8c Kh] [2c]
Quinner777: checks
iamthesensei: checks
*** RIVER *** [5d 8c Kh 2c] [8s]
xiphactinus said, "no"
Quinner777: bets $0.45
iamthesensei: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.45) returned to Quinner777
Quinner777 collected $0.97 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1.02 | Rake $0.05
Board [5d 8c Kh 2c 8s]
Seat 2: xiphactinus folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: iamthesensei (button) folded on the River
Seat 4: AAKonkAA (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: Quinner777 (big blind) collected ($0.97)
Seat 6: HecklnDecalr folded before Flop (didn't bet)

I kinda like the check on the flop just to see how he reacts 5BB's there is pretty weak so I feel like I've got the best hand turn and river are safe cards. Is there a better way to play this hand??

Comments

• check call river with your bluff catcher -- not much value in betting the river in this spot, you either lose more money if you call a raise or make less money my not letting him bluff at the pot -- if he has a hand he has a king or an eight
  • I think as played villian isn't going to be the river and show down a hand like 66-99 or AJ/AQ...if he actually had some sort of holding he would not have checked the turn because of the turn creating a possible back door flush draw (I know remote as hell but we are playing 2/5 here and it's level 1 thinking on the part of the villian)

The 8 is the safest card in the deck because of the raise preflop (I don't see 89,A8 raising preflop here, especially after the comments he made in the chatbox about getting rivered the hand before...so from that simple fact he is playing pretty straight forward).

I like the bet on the river because I think he Quinner checks the villian will check behind thinking he is losing to 3 eights. At least here if you bet out you conceal your hand and keep villian guessing.

GTAPoker what range of hands do you give villian to bet the river? I personally don't think he can try to bluff on the river when the 8 comes, I think if any other card comes he has a chance but the 8 reallly kills the action for both parties. Especially after Quinner flats the flop and it is check/check on the turn. (reason I ask is a lot of times I find myself blocking the river with a bet and maybe I should be checking as well inducing a bet on the river....)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    check call river with your bluff catcher -- not much value in betting the river in this spot, you either lose more money if you call a raise or make less money my not letting him bluff at the pot -- if he has a hand he has a king or an eight

This.

Why are you betting here? Is it a bluff? Is it for value?

If it is a bluff what hands that you are behind will fold here? Somewhere in the neighborhood of none?

If it is for value what hands will call here that you beat and what %age of his range do these hands make up?

Give him a chance to try and steal the pot with a check/call. This play makes you the most $$$$ in the long run.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    This.

Why are you betting here? Is it a bluff? Is it for value?

If it is a bluff what hands that you are behind will fold here? Somewhere in the neighborhood of none?

If it is for value what hands will call here that you beat and what %age of his range do these hands make up?

Give him a chance to try and steal the pot with a check/call. This play makes you the most $$$$ in the long run.

I agree, your not going to get value by betting because he's not going to call the majority of the time unless he has you beat, show weakness and let him take a stab so you can bluffcatch.
  • You're getting some good advice postflop ... I think you're asking the wrong question here ... I'll address your preflop play.

Preflop:

If I think the button will raise with position, then I like to give a clear message to the table of, "Don't fuck with my blinds." 50% Re-pop him to $0.75+, You want bullies to find someone else to pick on.

This has the advantage to your metagame of making the button play more passive against you unless he has a monster.

The button could be steaming based on the chat - You have the 5th best starting had against what could be a position bet with high cards, You don't want to play a pot out of position when overcards will probably come to your pair.

You are a better player than he is.

You want to play big pots so you can win more money.

Fist pump, say, "Suck this bitch" and pop that sucker preflop.

If he 4 bets you to $3 (pot commitment) then fold - Nobody in the micros 4 bets with a pair that can't beat TT.