First Online Tournament

Yep that is right, today, this morning I had my very first online poker tournament.

301 Players entered
Top 40 finishes are paid

My finish 51st!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I learn any lessons, yes I did. I got caught trying to steal a pot from a player, and he called. Let me fill you in on the hand that eliminated me.

I am in the small blind, everyone folds around to me and I call the small blind.

I have A :club: Q :heart:

Big blind (loose aggressive player, unpredictable) raises to 1500
My stack at this point is 8700
His stack is 9200 after the 1500 bet

I call.

Flop... A :diamond: 3 :heart: A :heart:

I check trying to trap
He checks.

Turn... K :heart:

Great for me, I have three Aces and nut flush... this time I wont trap, Im betting 4000... Opponent waits a couple seconds which seemed like an eternity and he raises all in. I call.

My hand... A :club: Q :heart:
Three of a kind with nut flush possibility.

His hand... A :spade: K :spade:
Full House

River... 2 :heart:

I make the flush, but it doesnt matter, he beat me with the full house.

My question, do you all think I did anything wrong there... or was this a situation where I just basically had to go broke. I guess I could have layed it down... but oh well. Like I said this is my first tournament, and it was a learning experience if nothing else. The only wasted poker game is one not learned from.

Can I get some feedback here... thanks. :)

Comments

• I would honestly probably go broke here as well,i would in a heartbeat think i had the best hand (on the flop), with his pre-flop raise, i'd think he might have KK-QQ or maybe JJ (slight chance)

his check on the flop made me think KK or QQ more....., when the Kh comes on the turn, it was probably the best card for your opponent to get (besides any other heart) when he kicker would still play if your flush never arrived.... i don't think you made a bad play here by all means, i dont think i would of been able to lay down this hand either, with trip aces, and nut flush draw at that, and a great kicker......i'd be jumpin for joy in my seat

tough luck there, on a lighter note, i think your 2nd online tourney should be the pokerforum.ca tourney (stars) on the Tues, Nov 16th 2004 10+1 buyin :)
  • i probably wouldve made a pot sized bet on the flop because of his PF raise

if he calls, you know hes got a hand, if he comes over the top, i call....

if he called and that K came up, i wouldve made a bet but wouldnt go broke on the hand...too scary.... AK and KK have you, which is what i figured he had.....

of course i like to think i wouldve played it this way, things change in the heat of the moment....

what shouldve tipped you off that he had a hand was him checking the flop... after i huge raise, he shouldve represented the aces after your check... him not doing that shouldve have set off an alarm...

i cant fault you for thinking you had the best hand though....just bad luck
  • I'd like to think I would have played it smart but I fear I would have played it exactly the same as you. I get awfully greedy with a big pot and a strong hand. You always have to fear a fh when the board is paired but ... 3 aces with a strong kicker!!! :banghead:

Very rarely will you have the nuts. Sometimes you have to be willing to gamble when you feel your hand is best. I think you played it properly and just got unlucky.

Should he have bet 3000 on the flop and have been prepared to walk away if re-raised? What if he was smooth called? What does everyone else think?