25NL Purty Deep

mmmmkay.
Flopped a set in a 3 way pot. This is good
Get check raised on the flop. This is good.

Where do we go from here?

Ship it? Call? Fold? and more importantly why are we making this move.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

UTG ($23.33)
MP ($25)
CO ($25.60)
Hero (Button) ($37.88 )
SB ($26.95)
BB ($50.45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5s, 5d
2 folds, CO bets $1, Hero calls $1, 1 fold, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($3.10) Jh, 5h, 4c (3 players)
BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $3, BB raises to $12.10, Hero....

Comments

• Did CO fold? Any reads on BB?
  • Well from the way this hand plays out, I can't see anyone having JJ so you are way ahead at this point. Maybe 44 which would be uber sick. Smells like combo draw to me.

Any 2 pair on that flop is not check raising because figure at this level most people are not leading out with a flush draw and it looks like from your bet and position you are making a stab at the pot in position.

The check raise here most likely is a semi bluff as if to say "button you look like you are stealing this pot, I will try to check raise you off and if you call I still have outs to win on the turn or river"

I ship it here all day.

1. If you get him to fold you win a nice pot and don't lose a big one.
    2. If he calls you are ahead and just have to dodge a few cards.

Best case scenario he wakes up with JK or something stupid he was trying to sit in the bushes with....

But for me this is a fist pump ship....
  • POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!
    I think the BB is just playing bully with TPTK, or maybe 2pair. There's no reason to c/r with top set.

Get it in there.
  • if you are scared of JJ, you should give up poker immediately (as I have been told many times before on this forum). Don't see a check raise with a draw. Villian will likely call your push here anyways so might as well push now. This is your dream flop with another player raising into you. They probably slowed played an over pair.
  • Graham wrote: »
    Did CO fold? Any reads on BB?

Sorry good point. Yes CO folded

EDIT: standard TAG pre-flop Aggression is 4ish
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    if you are scared of JJ, you should give up poker immediately (as I have been told many times before on this forum). Don't see a check raise with a draw. Villian will likely call your push here anyways so might as well push now. This is your dream flop with another player raising into you. They probably slowed played an over pair.

You think 4 handed an over pair was slow played...I don't know if NL25 players are that crafty....(I have not seen this done too much in NL25)

Have you seen this done a lot?? (would be good to know for future sessions)
  • Getting it in here all day very happily...nothing else to it!
  • Fairly dry board. I flat. Because there aren't many hands BB will be able to call light here.

Only bet BB can make on the turn is nearly pot-committing (same for you), or BB can check. If BB bets, I push. If BB checks, I push. The free turn card gives BB a chance to improve and will have a higher chance of having a hand that he can call with that you're beating. Enjoy the larger pot, or deal with the higher variance.

The only CON to my line is IF he has the flush draw AND hits it on the turn - you still lose the same $ as a flop-push, but you have to hang your head in shame for getting your money in behind. The PROs line in the extra money you will win if he improves enough on the turn, or if your line looks more air-y and he calls lighter on the turn than he would a 3bet-push on the flop.

Please, cadillac, correct my thinking if you see any flaws. You're one of the few poker minds that posts here regularly that I still respect.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    Fairly dry board. I flat. Because there aren't many hands BB will be able to call light here.

Only bet BB can make on the turn is nearly pot-committing (same for you), or BB can check. If BB bets, I push. If BB checks, I push. The free turn card gives BB a chance to improve and will have a higher chance of having a hand that he can call with that you're beating. Enjoy the larger pot, or deal with the higher variance.

The only CON to my line is IF he has the flush draw AND hits it on the turn - you still lose the same $ as a flop-push, but you have to hang your head in shame for getting your money in behind. The PROs line in the extra money you will win if he improves enough on the turn, or if your line looks more air-y and he calls lighter on the turn than he would a 3bet-push on the flop.

Please, cadillac, correct my thinking if you see any flaws. You're one of the few poker minds that posts here regularly that I still respect.

/g2
    Another issue I see with flatting here, and you are right it is fairly dry other than the flush draw, is if he is not on a flush draw, and the flush hits. You are not likely to get any more chips out of him since he may put you on the flush the way you play it by flatting.

:) Hopefully I'm one of those poker minds that you respect......
  • compuease wrote: »
    Another issue I see with flatting here, and you are right it is fairly dry other than the flush draw, is if he is not on a flush draw, and the flush hits. You are not likely to get any more chips out of him since he may put you on the flush the way you play it by flatting.

:) Hopefully I'm one of those poker minds that you respect......
    With answers like this, yes, captain. Thank you for pointing out one thing I failed to consider :)

/g2
  • I like it g2 and back at ya with the respect.

I call here and this is why.

1. If I shove in this spot it is a big bet to him. Over 100BB. I think he folds everything that we are beating almost all the time except for maybe a combo draw and bottom set. At this point his range is WAYYY wider than that.

2. If he is on a flush draw he has about 30 equity at this point in the hand but if I call and dodge a heart on the turn he likely leads into me with a pot committing bet after I have sawn his equity in half. This way we can get it in with him as a much bigger dog.

3. I might get him to put in his chips in light if he thinks he has some fold equity. He ain't calling off light.

Hero calls $9.10

Turn: ($27.30) Ks (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero...?

We are going to bet here obv.

What is your bet size and why?
  • Ok the turn now is tricky...cause it looks like buddy was CR a draw. In this case you have a pot of 27.00 and villian has about 38.00 behind. I think its a damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to this spot. Bet here....you need to bet at least 18 bucks here, anything smaller and you get him to call and he has a chance to draw out on you....if he is a smart player he will realize heads up he is not getting sufficient odds to call the bet though.

So if you want a call bet 10-15bucks
    If you don't want a call bet 18-22bucks
  • You could try a small bet (like $9) to make it look like you are on a draw and want to see the last card cheap (also it will leave you with about 16 behind so it looks like he might actually be able to get you to fold if he comes over the top. The only problem with that is then you are kinda committed no matter what comes on the river.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Hero calls $9.10

BB checks, Hero...?

Jh, 5h, 4c, Ks

$27.30 in the pot

BB $37.35
    Hero $24.78

Anything below $11 and you're giving the flush draw / straight draws implied odds.

I shove. If BB is calling anything over $11 he'll call a shove. (my opinion might be biased by the games I play (live, where players are more likely to see it down when they have a decent amount of $$ in))

/g2
  • Of course you push.
  • ooh ooh ! This is kickass let me try!!

I think G2 is right though need to shove here, you could bet say 12 dollars because that commits you to the hand and might induce a mistake call from your opponent. But then if he hits river you lose the whole pot. So I think you need to bet all the rest of your chips on the turn because winning a not so small pot here is better than losing a big one. Also you might get called anyway and then you win the maximum if the river doesn't hit villain. I really can't see any other way to maximize profit/minimize loss other than a shove on the turn.

Level 1 thinking FTW! lol

Oh and also what bet can you do that isn't pot committing you to this hand but also isn't giving your opponent correct odds to call?
  • I am still not 100% on what is the correct river decision.

I tried a smallish bet with the hopes of inducing a shove. I figured that since he c/r the flop and then checked the turn he either had a flush or wheel draw or some type or middling made hand (Jx or TT, 99, 88, 77, 66.)

I didn't see either of these hands calling a shove for 100BB but I could be wrong. Also if he on the flush draw a couple of his outs are mine :-)

Thoughts?

Oh and nice job on the bet size Quinner!

BB checks, Hero bets $12, BB raises to $24.25, Hero raises to $24.78 (All-In), BB calls $0.53

River: ($76.86) 2d (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $76.86 | Rake: $3
  • So he most likely showed down KXh and missed his draw....
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I like it g2 and back at ya with the respect.

I call here and this is why.

1. If I shove in this spot it is a big bet to him. Over 100BB. I think he folds everything that we are beating almost all the time except for maybe a combo draw and bottom set. At this point his range is WAYYY wider than that.

2. If he is on a flush draw he has about 30 equity at this point in the hand but if I call and dodge a heart on the turn he likely leads into me with a pot committing bet after I have sawn his equity in half. This way we can get it in with him as a much bigger dog.

3. I might get him to put in his chips in light if he thinks he has some fold equity. He ain't calling off light.

Hero calls $9.10

BB checks, Hero...?

I understand what you are saying here but one thing to consider is the size of his check raise....it seems quite big. I feel that hes getting it in.
    Would you usually jam your draws....say KQh? Does this player no how you would play your draws? I think its pretty standard to get it in here. Its not that dry of board for a bb range here if he has 44 56 78 23 A4h A5h (actually any hearts) AJ he is getting it in and judging by his big check raise I think hes getting it in with KJ QJ and possibly weaker if he fells you are on a draw, which i think he will because of your decent size bet on the flop. Lets not even put him on a range and just think about all the turn cards that will shut him down on the turn if we dont get it in.
  • I appologize that im a little behind this post but im talking on the flop.