Wat? Weirdest raise...

No reads... early on in SNG

PokerStars Game #27799656820: Tournament #160864480, $6.00+$0.25 Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2009/05/04 1:50:29 ET
Table '160864480 1' 2-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: grant125 (1305 in chips)
Seat 2: closemaster (1695 in chips)
grant125: posts small blind 10
closemaster: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to closemaster [7h 2s]
grant125: calls 10
closemaster: checks
*** FLOP *** [2h Td 7c]
closemaster: checks
grant125: checks
*** TURN *** [2h Td 7c] [Jd]
closemaster: bets 40
grant125: calls 40
*** RIVER *** [2h Td 7c Jd] [Qc]
closemaster: bets 80
grant125: raises 1165 to 1245 and is all-in

Whats your play?

Comments

• err fold as played? Why not bet the flop, with bottom 2 pair... Very vunerable holdings....
  • Bet flop. As played, fold river.
  • But why this huge re-raise if villain has a hand that he's certain or almost certain is best? Lets say he has 98 or even QJ. Wouldn't his goal be to induce a call? He thinks you have some kind of hand and therefore may be willing to to call a re-raise to say 250 or something like that. Of course: He can be a donk that just thinks: "Wow, I've hitted my runner-runner straight - I put my all my chips in the middle!" But I'll say this type of donks are not that common on this level of play ($6). Neither are the players so trappy that they will go all-in with a monster just to fool you into think they're bluffing.

I say he most likely has a jack or a queen and I would seriously consider a call. But given the fact that its early in the game, we have no reads, and we'll still be in the lead I might choose the safe path and fold for a better opportunity later. But to me it's a very marginal decision.
  • This is a straight like always.

Shitty players make huge over bets on the river because they don't know how to build a pot and because other shitty players will make thin calls when the line looks bluffy.

Fold, move on and for the love of god.....bet the flop next time.
  • +1 snap fold....

You'd be surprised how many people call this and pay off a made hand. It's a new trend to shove the river to look like a bluff but infact its the nut.

I have started doing that with big pairs to make it look like it is ace high and you'd be surprised what ends up calling you.
  • bet flop, fold river
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    bet flop, fold river

+1.
  • Well he did hit his straight on the river (K9), and I know I should have bet the flop. I know it was a really dumb call but I couldn't believe he would bet that much on a made hand and only thing I could put him on was a bluff. I now know that this is not the case, and appreciate the feedback guys. I know... I am an idiot for making the call, but I get this so many times that I figured I had him covered so I could still have a chance to comeback that I would finally look this play up. Maybe I am reading into it way too much at these levels.
  • Why are you slow playing a vulnerable 2 pair on the flop?

For low levels if your 2 pair on the flop has a 2,3,4,5, in it then bet that sucker!

It's soooo likely to be counterfited it's not funny.