Floating the Flop

2/5 cent cash game and I'm on the button with AKo and UTG+1 raises to 5xBB (about the standard raise for the table). The game is very loose with lots of c-betting going on, the flop comes down Js9s4h. The original raiser bets 8xBB on the flop. My question here is, against habitual c-betters is it a good idea to float this flop in position? Or let this go and wait for a better spot? How exactly do I handle this situation?

I ended up calling and he nearly potted 4th street when the 3d came off, I know that may seem like he hit his Jack and is trying to protect against a possible flush draw, but I have to say the game was pretty loose....

I ended up folding after the bet on the turn. I never know when calling down with Ace high is the right play or not. Hence I almost never do it.

I also don't know the best defense against players who c-bet dry boards, when I whiff the flop entirely I sometimes float but almost always fold to a big double barrel.

Help?

Comments

• I may re-raise preflop with AK in that position especially if the game is loose because you want to make the bad players pay for calling your raise OOP.

As played I fold flop. I don't usually like to continue with AK on those boards, I know essentially what you are saying, why would a J bet that board, he is C-betting frequently, but in the long term if you keep snapping off C-bets you then have to either hope you hit the turn (and make sure you good, cause KJ could possibly be betting there or some sort of weirdo A-rag hand) .

It's one of those spots where because the table is playing loose you need to tighten up and increase your aggressiveness when you wake up with a hand because you will know at that point your range is far tighter than the rest of the table and you should be ahead preflop or at least 50/50 at worst.
  • Quinner wrote: »
    2/5 cent cash game and I'm on the button with AKo and UTG+1 raises to 5xBB (about the standard raise for the table). The game is very loose with lots of c-betting going on, the flop comes down Js9s4h. The original raiser bets 8xBB on the flop. My question here is, against habitual c-betters is it a good idea to float this flop in position? Or let this go and wait for a better spot? How exactly do I handle this situation?

I ended up calling and he nearly potted 4th street when the 3d came off, I know that may seem like he hit his Jack and is trying to protect against a possible flush draw, but I have to say the game was pretty loose....

I ended up folding after the bet on the turn. I never know when calling down with Ace high is the right play or not. Hence I almost never do it.

I also don't know the best defense against players who c-bet dry boards, when I whiff the flop entirely I sometimes float but almost always fold to a big double barrel.

Help?

just play straight forward in 2c/5c games. meaning when you dont have it, just muck.

floating has become such an overused term and more often then not, incorrectly. everybody just seems to throw around the term floating whenever they take off a card with mediocre holdings. floating is a VERY SPECIFIC play in which you take a card off with no intention of showing down or of realistically drawing to a better hand. you are peeling for the sole purpose of your opponent giving up and checking to you so you can bet him off.

in this instance, you are NOT floating if you take a card off. since hes a pfr, its likely his holdings are pretty strong and if that board hit him we cant expect him to ever fold, and if it didnt hit him, its likely we have the best hand with nut no pair or we can make the best hand by catching an A or a K. if you were taking a card off in this instance with say 5d6d...that would be floating.
  • Oic! I never knew that actually, yea I thought floating just meant calling with nothing really, maybe King or Ace high to see where we're at. I never had it explained to me. So floating is that move, where you call with basically nothing and then try and take a stab at the pot if he checks the turn to you.