99 on the btn I like to flop sets on co-ordinated boards...never easy for me ever!

5/5 live game - first hand we all sit down.

Background:

This game is one of those world famous woodbridge cannon games, but for the most part they start off tight, but the players....not the greatest, but most times play their hands face up, due to the fact they rarely know where they stand in the hand.

Breakdown:

Six handed avg stack size is around 400. I have 300 behind me, villian 1 has 300(BB) and villian 2(SB) has 600.

99 on the button, limped to me I make it 25 to go preflop SB and BB call everyone else folds.

Reads:

SB - Your typical woodbridge player. Likes to play a lot of pots with marginal holdings but very easy to spot drawing tendancies, and likes to make moves when he has draws.

BB - Owner of the game, someone solid player, nothing I haven't really seen or tangled with before

Flop J98 rainbow. SB+BB checks, however BB announces he has the nuts. FML right?? I check.

Turn is a 4. SB leads out for 75, BB calls 75, I sit and deliberate possibly raising but I just call.

River is a 7. SB checks BB now leads out for 125. I muck, SB tanks and makes the call.

Hands will be revealed afterwards. Thoughts on my play?

Personally I think I may have played the flop passively, but I think 10Q/107 fits any one of those bozo's ranges and especially now the river card comes I don't think I can make that call on the river 3 handed.

Comments

• I'm betting that flop most definitely for probably 2/3+ of the pot and if I get a caller, the rest of my chips are in the middle asap on the turn. The 4 on the turn doesn't change anything. I'm not worried about monsters under the bed with that flop. If they flopped a straight, and are slow playing it, so be it. I still have plenty of outs with two cards to come.

Anyone who will fold trips with that flop is a complete LIAR!!!

River is tough; would these guys play A10, K10 (10/10 is unlikely as most players would likely re-raise pre-flop) pre-flop for $25? with the caller on the river, you are probably beat so I think the fold is justified.

God I miss the Woodbridge cannon days!
  • ummm hi.

You have 60 bets and you are checking that flop?

Bet the flop ALWAYS. Double fist pump get it in if you get raised. You have outs against everything except JJ and you are ahead of a shit ton here.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    ummm hi.

You have 60 bets and you are checking that flop?

Bet the flop ALWAYS. Double fist pump get it in if you get raised. You have outs against everything except JJ and you are ahead of a shit ton here.

Yeah I was thinking about betting the flop but got angle shot into checking the flop by the club owner. Just with past histories 9/10 times he will not try to play back at me just out of respect as will I. It was really the SB that messed things up for everyone for leading the turn.

Underground most owners will check the nuts down with you as they don't want to kill the game or discourage you from playing there (they usually just sit in to keep the game going, not to play up against you)

So when he said "i flopped the nuts" I took it as the truth.
  • Definately bet the flop hard, you get raised put it in you still may be ahead and you can draw for the boat.
  • not betting the flop is awful.
    not betting the turn is worse.
    folding the river is fine.

bet your hand on the flop, there are way too many draws to let go for free and way too scary turn cards to get paid by the many 1pair/2pair hands
  • bb K10
    sb 89
  • sorry
    sb 89
    bb air.... or a hand that he is turnin into a bluff 66 etc.
  • Ok here are the hands:

SB had KJ
    BB had 67H (made a flush draw on turn and hit pair on river)

It was my fault for soft playing against the owner as I normally bet my set no matter what the board....especially in these games...where people just call call call call...
  • One of the areas where I want to improve are:

Being unafraid to cross examine.

When the BB says, "I have the nuts."

You must say something like.

"What's the nuts on this board?"... "Do you mean the stone cold nuts?" ... "the imortal stone cold nuts " ... "... or just the nuts for now?"

I guess, sometimes I think it's kind of rude to ask questions like this.

But it's really, really profitable.

Thoughts?
  • One of the areas where I want to improve are:

Being unafraid to cross examine.

When the BB says, "I have the nuts."

You must say something like.

"What's the nuts on this board?"... "Do you mean the stone cold nuts?" ... "the imortal stone cold nuts " ... "... or just the nuts for now?"

I guess, sometimes I think it's kind of rude to ask questions like this.

But it's really, really profitable.

Thoughts?

strong is weak and weak is strong, typically. "I have the nuts" means, I don't have the nuts. Would you tell someone you had the nuts at the table? seems counter intuitive.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    strong is weak and weak is strong, typically. "I have the nuts" means, I don't have the nuts. Would you tell someone you had the nuts at the table? seems counter intuitive.

Once again it was a huge metagame play as well. usually owners of clubs aren't out to grab their clients and I honestly thought he was just saving me money because he knew I had a big hand (raising on the button first hand of the session..i mean really I am not looking for 10 bucks that early with air)

In this situation the owner felt like crap afterwards because he saw me muck my set and have top pair call his bet. Needless to say I had a few words afterwards with him.
  • Once again it was a huge metagame play as well. usually owners of clubs aren't out to grab their clients and I honestly thought he was just saving me money because he knew I had a big hand (raising on the button first hand of the session..i mean really I am not looking for 10 bucks that early with air)

In this situation the owner felt like crap afterwards because he saw me muck my set and have top pair call his bet. Needless to say I had a few words afterwards with him.

Nobody is going to say they have the nuts unless you have a huge metagame going. Unless you guys have rules about angling then he used his talk to his advantage.....its part of the game. Even if he did flop a str8 and i somehow new it..... I would still fire because he is going to play it slow on this board and you have a chance of hitting a tight and winning a huge pot.
  • wader wrote: »
    Nobody is going to say they have the nuts unless you have a huge metagame going. Unless you guys have rules about angling then he used his talk to his advantage.....its part of the game. Even if he did flop a str8 and i somehow new it..... I would still fire because he is going to play it slow on this board and you have a chance of hitting a tight and winning a huge pot.

Well playing in underground games there is an unwritten rule that you don't beat up your clients who play regularly if you are the owner receiving rake for having players to attend your game. You are basically double dipping the system.

So when the owner did announce he had the nuts (in most cases it is to prevent you from losing money in the hand) I took as a sign to slow down and just check it down. The fact that the SB disobeyed this and led out on the turn screwed me in the end and made him money.