Did I play this right?

Did I play this hand correctly and just run into some bad luck? The main point of interest for me is when he re-raises the turn, if I was playing good players, I usually would let this go, but I've been playing really cheap tournaments lately to try and build a bankroll from zero. (Like Chris Ferguson, though there is no way I will have nearly as much success).

PokerStars Game #26456427113: Tournament #151453187, $0.10+$0.00 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2009/03/28 11:25:06 ET
Table '151453187 20' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: pacopusa (3955 in chips)
Seat 2: Millsy 1968 (4675 in chips)
Seat 4: yobdam (1290 in chips)
Seat 5: nene652 (1845 in chips)
Seat 6: Pokerstar266 (6055 in chips)
Seat 7: PANTELIJA79 (4160 in chips)
Seat 8: Quinner777 (3530 in chips)
Seat 9: 82EdwarD82 (6265 in chips)
PANTELIJA79: posts small blind 25
Quinner777: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [Ah As]
axeman1974 is connected
82EdwarD82 has timed out
82EdwarD82: folds
82EdwarD82 is sitting out
pacopusa: folds
Millsy 1968: folds
yobdam: folds
nene652: folds
Pokerstar266: folds
82EdwarD82 has returned
PANTELIJA79: calls 25
Quinner777: raises 100 to 150
PANTELIJA79: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [2s Th 7h]
PANTELIJA79: checks
Quinner777: bets 150
PANTELIJA79: calls 150
*** TURN *** [2s Th 7h] [2c]
PANTELIJA79: checks
Quinner777: bets 450
PANTELIJA79: raises 3410 to 3860 and is all-in
Quinner777: calls 2780 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (630) returned to PANTELIJA79
*** RIVER *** [2s Th 7h 2c] [4c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PANTELIJA79: shows [Ac 2d] (three of a kind, Deuces)
Quinner777: shows [Ah As] (two pair, Aces and Deuces)
PANTELIJA79 collected 7060 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***

Bad luck? Or should I have folded to that re-raise years ago, or made a bigger flop bet? The reason for the half pot bet was more to string him along to extract more value but it backfired on me hard.

Comments

• raise more pf
    bet more on the flop
    if he is going to limp and call a raise oop with A2o, at least make him pay

whether to fold to his raise or not, depends on the situation. it seems to me like he does not want a call. so he could have a made but vulnerable hand (2 Page Ranking maybe, which ironically is now behind AA) or be on some kind of semi-bluff - flush or straight draw is possible here. so on the balance, it looks like you should be way ahead of most hands that make that play.

i have no idea why he made such a moronic raise with a big hand. must be that level 5 metagame crap.
  • LOL yea im sure it was level 5 metagame crap.

And I'm still a new player to hold'em, but I've been reading through alot of these posts on the forum, when you say page ranking 2, what are you referring to? And could you direct me to a place to read up about it? Thanks.
  • Definitely raise more PF, and raise MORE on the flop. You usually want to make a pot-sized bet on the flop, so at least 300 chips on that flop...

THen again you should have raised 4x BB minimum PF, which would be $400 min in the pot, meaning your flop bet should have been around 400 chips..
    That should have scared off a pair of deuces for the other player
  • I disagree. Unless he believed you were making the PF-raise with 2 high cards like AK or AQ, villain was making a bad play here with a bottom pair that almost certainly was beaten. He was drawing with 2 outs only (no flush or straights possible). Sure you might have scared him away with bigger bets. But I don't think you should be that scared on this flop with one single opponent (not so likely he has a flush draw with the hearts). You WANT him to stay around and put more money in. A bigger raise PF and a potsized bet on the flop could in fact result in less chips won in the long run in this type of hands. What is true though is that if he's in fact on a flush draw you don't want him to get the right odds for that. But here the odds are 3 to 1, and if you leave the implied odds aside that isn't good enough. That said I would have prefered a raise to 200 PF and then a bet on say 250-300 in the pot of 400. Because I want him to call!

If you come in this situation 100 times with this guy it's easy to see that you want him to continue playing. Because most of the time he's moronic chasing for trips or 2-pair won't pay off (especially not in this case when the A isn't an out for him) and you will gain a lot of chips as a result of your opponents far-to-optimistic call.
  • Unlucky... I prob would have bet a bit more on flop too.
  • Keep in mind this is a 10 cent tourney. People play their hands pretty transparent. I could have told you without even looking at the results that buddy had a 2.

Its a simple I hit bottom pair but there is a flush draw out there, you c-bet, then bet the turn, just in case you are drawing to 2 outs with a big PP or to the flush I better go all in right now.

There is no metagame thinking here. Its painfully dumb thinking on villians part.