River a Boat - Do you re-raise?

Say board is 23453 and you hold 22 (for demonstration purposes); say pot is $150, you bet $50 on the river and get min raised another $50. Would you normally just call or do you still play this hand more aggressively? being you have the low full house and are beat by 44, 55, 32, 43, 53, 33(ouch). Player has been calling your bets all the way down to the turn and only showed aggression on the river. No flush on board. Opponent is TAG and tricky player who will also bluff on occasion.

Comments

• I call, odds are if you raise, the only hand that is going to do anything are the hands that beat you (maybe 67) but with that 2nd 3 showing up and now he switches from calling to raising I think a call is best here.
  • I'm also considering what I got left too. If I'm going to be sitting with less than $100, I'll push it and take my chances he doesn't have a better hand. If I'm going to be left with $200 or more by just calling, I will most likely just call his raise.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    I'm also considering what I got left too. If I'm going to be sitting with less than $100, I'll push it and take my chances he doesn't have a better hand. If I'm going to be left with $200 or more by just calling, I will most likely just call his raise.

I guess by the same token, you could look at what the villain has left.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Say board is 23453 and you hold 22 (for demonstration purposes); say pot is $150, you bet $50 on the river and get min raised another $50. Would you normally just call or do you still play this hand more aggressively? being you have the low full house and are beat by 44, 55, 32, 43, 53, 33(ouch). Player has been calling your bets all the way down to the turn and only showed aggression on the river. No flush on board. Opponent is TAG and tricky player who will also bluff on occasion.

I'm putting a third raise in...
  • Sort of depends on how the hand played out, your table image, etc, etc, no? There is no standard answer.

I would assume that you would fold without quads here, especially if the villian has been playing like a maniac.
  • I think in this situation you have look at multiple streets of action before you can determin the TAG is holding 44,55, or any 3X combo. Most likely in these situations you should know what the villian is holding (or likely holding) by the turn as indicated on this board any Ace would be value betting the river.

I think a fullhouse will be min-raising here, you can get more value by at least going 1.5times especially if you lead into him on the river. I re-pop in this specific scenario based on no other information. A min raise to me is an ace high straight. The board pairing on the river is irrelevant unless discussed from my paragraph above.
  • I think in this situation you have look at multiple streets of action before you can determin the TAG is holding 44,55, or any 3X combo. Most likely in these situations you should know what the villian is holding (or likely holding) by the turn as indicated on this board any Ace would be value betting the river.

I think a fullhouse will be min-raising here, you can get more value by at least going 1.5times especially if you lead into him on the river. I re-pop in this specific scenario based on no other information. A min raise to me is an ace high straight. The board pairing on the river is irrelevant unless discussed from my paragraph above.

Already mentioned villain called down to the river before min-raising.
  • Stack sizes? Could be value betting a 6 high straight too?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Already mentioned villain called down to the river before min-raising.

Then I have to go with value town on the straight.....any set or 2 pair is creating action on the turn at least...if not before.
  • Call it down if the stacks are deep. A raise just can get you in trouble.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    I'm also considering what I got left too. If I'm going to be sitting with less than $100, I'll push it and take my chances he doesn't have a better hand. If I'm going to be left with $200 or more by just calling, I will most likely just call his raise.

sorry about that: I had $200 behind before making the call on the river; villian has about the same.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I would assume that you would fold without quads here, especially if the villian has been playing like a maniac.

funny guy; no I did not fold.
  • Dead Money wrote: »
    Call it down if the stacks are deep. A raise just can get you in trouble.

this was my thought here; if I raise again he is commited for his remaining chips so I might as well push or call. I was a little suspicious because he did take some time to decide whether he would call my bet on the river and then he quickly decided to min raise. He was new to the table and had only played probably less than 10 hands. I had played against him a couple times before (a few months back) and consider him to be a good player (usually TAG).
    funny guy; no I did not fold.

wow, your game is really coming along
    this was my thought here; if I raise again he is commited for his remaining chips so I might as well push or call. I was a little suspicious because he did take some time to decide whether he would call my bet on the river and then he quickly decided to min raise. He was new to the table and had only played probably less than 10 hands. I had played against him a couple times before (a few months back) and consider him to be a good player (usually TAG).

Well the key here is what hand do you think he put you on to make that min raise. From what I read you bet every street which could mean any number of things on a co-ordinated board. The fact that he just calls down and doesn't really show any strength being a TAG player sorta leads me to believe that he either flopped the nuts and then when the river paired up and you lead again he wanted to extract value with this straight either the dummy end or the nut straight.

I can't see him playing a set so quietly unless he puts you on absolute air on the flop and figures he is trapping you becaue you won't fold and figures on the turn when it completes the straight you hit your card.
  • I think the optimal play here can be determined by your table image.

Having played you before, there's a good chance the villain has this image of you... "will fold a big hand if check-raised on the river". What that in mind the villain's range is... any two. So what does that tell you to do?

The correct answer is call. There is no value to a raise.

Either that or he just boated up. Same answer.

/g2
  • I think the biggest factor to consider here is, can a worse hand than mine call a re-raise? If I'm playing a TAG...I think calling is the correct play, as he won't call your raise with a straight anyhow. If he's a little more on the LAG.......jam'em in....as I think it's unlikely a LAG would have a boat here the way it played out.
  • Live 2/5 Fallsview 7 AM

History: 1 orbit ago: I doubled through the Villain when I bet 40 into a 60 pot and he raised me to 80 and raised him all in to 280, and he called on a paired board with A2 Top pair no kicker. I had a full house.

I have 44 on the button, 3 limpers, I limp:

Flop comes: AT6: checked all around.

Turn 4: I bet $20 into a $27 pot... BB calls.

River T: I bet 40, he raises to 100, I push all in 547
  • Say, "I guess you hate money and I'm sure your wife will understand you being late on another mortgage payment,"

All in!
  • haddon wrote: »
    Say, "I guess you hate money and I'm sure your wife will understand you being late on another mortgage payment,"

All in!

Wins

Icame.jpg
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Wins

She Came....

And Haddon gets the "We're not Worthy" bow.
  • Who's calling? Seriously? Any A, Any 6 will go to showdown. If you end action with a call when you hold a boat on a 4 card straight or flush board.. well.. I guess you already know what i think..