Should I call this?

I am getting hardly any hands for the first hour or so, and come across a pretty mediocre hand (54 suited) and decide to play it anyway.

I limp in with 54 suited, 4 callers.

Flop comes down A86 rainbow. Everyone checks.

Turn is a 7, giving me the low straight.

Player A bets 200, and without hesitation player B immediately goes all in, and I think about it for a few minutes and finally give it up. I am thinking player B probably has T9 to call all-in that quickly after someone has bet out strongly. Was this the right decision?

As it turns out, player D (chip leader at the table) called the all-in and player A also called, so it was a 3-way all-in!!!

Player A had A9 for a pair of aces and a straight draw.
Player B had 87 for two pairs, 8's and 7's.
Player D had 33 for one pair of 3's???????????

River is a blank, and I would have won the monster pot!

Comments

• well, the obvious answer is that you shouldnt have folded ;)

but yeah, pretty easy hand to lay down in my opinion - with all the checkers in there, very possible someone had the high straight

i thought instantly someone hit 2 pair, people will play alot of connected hands, and when 3 on the brd are connected, 2pair is likely

what kind of event was it? early in a rebuy tourney that is an easy call, also a lot of weaker players in at this point - they probably didnt even think of the straight draw on the board
  • This was at a home tourney with 46 players (no rebuys/addons). Blind's were still very low at this point I believe, probably 5/10 or so.
  • Ok now I want to know who you were at that table...need to put faces to nicks...

the 3/3 was the weakest hand there, but she had been coming up roses with alot of hands... why wouldnt she call??

wasnt the all in short stack at the table? and the a/9 call wasnt for much more then 10% of his chips right?

How much would it have been for you to call the all in?
    I figure it would have been hard cause of all the BS that was in the early hands, the chip leaders boyfriend had done a number on our table and playing with her in the side games she plays like her boyfriend.

Hence, I dont think I would have been in with 5/4 in the first place, cause it would have been hard to pin point those other hands unless you hit a a23 flop, or 544. Not when everyone had been limping in on shiet and betting on sheit.

This coming from the guy who made the exact same move and folded like a cheap suit when the balls came out... I know how you feel.
  • I am thinking player B probably has T9 to call all-in that quickly...

Try to give as much detail as possible for hand analysis posts. Stack sizes and bet amounts (even if all-in) are particularly important in NL tournaments.

All of these (and possibly more) are important:

What is the format? Looks like a NLHE tournament to me, but it's easier to follow the post of you say this at the beginning.

Player B calls all-in for how much? Did you mean "raises all-in" instead? (That is, did he have more than 200 chips?)

What are the stack sizes of all players in the hand?

Looks like an easy fold to me. Even if you are not losing right now, your opponents probably have enough combined outs against you to make your chances in this hand pretty grim.

ScottyZ
  • Player A bet 200 to start - he has approximately 700 or 800 chips
    Player B went all in - I think he had about 900 chips
    Player D had a boat load of chips, but I cant think why to call this monster 900 chip bet with only the pair of 3's
    Player A called the all-in

At the time I had approximately 900 chips, so I would have basically been all-in as well.
  • I was the guy wearing the vegas t-shirt and the vegas hat. BTW, I love vegas!
  • jester777 wrote:
    Player A bet 200 to start - he has approximately 700 or 800 chips
    Player B went all in - I think he had about 900 chips
    Player D had a boat load of chips, but I cant think why to call this monster 900 chip bet with only the pair of 3's
    Player A called the all-in

At the time I had approximately 900 chips, so I would have basically been all-in as well.

Thanks for the info. Seems like a definite fold to me if the blinds were 5/10. Those bets are just too big compared to the blinds to make a stand against the maniacs here with a strong but vulnerable hand like 45.

On a related note, the strategy is pretty simple when players are willing to move all-in for ~1,000 during the 5/10 round. Play a lot of hands if you can get in cheaply pre-flop and forget about the hand unless you've got the nuts.*

You're going to have to make some tough folds of non-nut (but strong) hands, as in this case with the bottom end of the 2 hole card straight.

I think that limping in pre-flop with 54s here was an excellent play, given what your opponents seem to be willing to do post-flop.

ScottyZ

*Or a hand that is going to be pretty close to it. Like top full house when quads is technically the nuts.
  • Thanks for the insight. At the time I was pretty happy with myself for folding this, even though I would have ended up winning.
  • Hey guys

It appears this tournament took place in the Kitchener-Waterloo area. First of all, is this correct? If so, I am just curious what was the nature of this tourney. Was it invitation only or was it open to anybody? How did you guys get word of it? Are there going to be any more in future? I'm just wondering, because I live very near K-W, and I would very much like to play in some live tourneys.

Incidently, if anyone knows other good ways of finding live tourneys, any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • hi peteski

If you check out the 'Home Games' section of this forum, you will find all the announcements for home tournaments.

This tournament was held in Kitchener and was open to anyone (we had 46 players show up!!!).
  • I've heard from somewhere that hitting the low end of the straight should be played about the same as if you hit middle pair with a decent kicker.

With the board showing A678, there are too many ways to lose this hand, even if you are ahead on the turn.

Anyone with a 9 or T needs the other to beat you.
    Anyone with a 4 or 5 needs the other to chop.
    Anyone with two pair could hit a fullhouse.
    Anyone with trips needs could get the board to pair for the full house.
    You didn't mention if the board was a rainbow, but two of the same suit could indicate a flush draw.

It's a scary looking board (esp. for this early in the tourney) and it was a good fold.