5/10nl ak?

Quick check to see what people would have done in this spot.

Background:

5/10NL @ FV. Been in the game for about 40 minutes or so, not very active, been watching a few people go at, AA vs QQ for stacks but nothing too significant. Then this hand comes up

Effective stacks 400

I pick up AK in MP....I make it 35 to go, folded to BB.

BB is older player, the general stereotypes exist...rock etc....

Flop Ks8h4c rainbow. BB Checks I bet out 55, BB calls.

Turn is 2H. BB checks I bet out 85 this time, BB check raises me to 200.

Whats my play? Hand result once we get some bashing :P

Comments

• you have TPTK and the flop with turn doesn't look too coordinated. Could have K/8 or 4 or 2 but calling another 25 to go I can't see it.

Slow playing aces.....maybe.

depending on your stack to his I push to see if he folds or what he shows or call to see what the river may bring.

but I suck so we should get some real opinions in here.
  • IS your AK os or s? How quick did he call your first raise? How quick was he to fire back with the reraise?
    My guess, he defended his BB with a marginal to good hand, maybe suited connectors(5/6h or 6/7h maybe) with the 2h on the turn, firing back with a reraise, if he had the 5/6h...now he's looking at outs of 4-3's, 4-7's plus the 11 hearts for the flush...worthy of a reraise? i would (if those were my cards) If he's a rock, and has played that way all game, then i would have to peg him for a draw. But, thats just me. Would i call it...no..i would come over top(the amount would all depend on our 2 stacks as to whether i would push it all, or just enough to make him think twice.
  • How do you know he's a rock from 40 mins of play. Your effective stacks are only 40bb?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    How do you know he's a rock from 40 mins of play. Your effective stacks are only 40bb?

Well he has only played maybe 3-4 hands over the past 40 minutes. I consider that a rock. Yes our effective stacks were only 40BB.

My AK was suited but not hearts....it was spades. Interesting responses so far.
  • Shortish, go broke to a set.

Two pr. he called 35 (and then possibly 55) to hit his shitty draw...you win long run.
    (I don't think it is this one)
  • Defended BB with 84s and hit two pair, may to be a rocks play but if you have been pushy since entry I might give you a shot.
  • fucking two page ranking!
  • i hate short stackers!
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Shortish, go broke to a set.

Two Page Ranking. he called 35 (and then possibly 55) to hit his shitty draw...you win long run.
    (I don't think it is this one)

This. Definitely smells like a set. Usually when you have TPTK and you get raised n the turn you're no good.
  • Alright I will give my thought process and the outcome.

Ok....the cold call raise of 35 preflop doesn't really give me much information but its a typical FV player who wants to play a flop. With the dry board I always bet out top pair to disguise my hand and hope that weaker holdings call. The fact that he calls my flop bet doesn't really bother me that much because of the effective stacks.

The turn bet is really odd. For a second I thought he had a set, but the way the hand played out he can't put me on a back door flush draw cause I have bet out 2 streets. I have also not been very active at the table and he hasn't seen me show down a hand yet so I don't know what kind of read he has on me.

Two pair I believe I get check raised on the flop just to build a pot because most people will not fold on the flop after leading into it.

A set, I thought about that too, because most times you find out where you are at in a hand at FV on the turn.

I almost folded but then I thought he may be pushing KXh draw and trying to extract value. So I re-shoved and he snap called with AA

GG me :)
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    This. Definitely smells like a set. Usually when you have TPTK and you get raised n the turn you're no good.

Yeah, but is he fold for 200 into 550-bad?

That's the question. I think not.
  • Dammit, I had AA in my original post..but I edited out FML
  • dammit!
  • It was just a weird line for the guy to take with AA and that is why it thew me off. I should have gone with one of my rules that I normally play with, which is if the board is dry and you get check raised chances are you are beat. I over played 1 pair.....rookie mistake....god....LOL
  • 40bb stack, how do you overplay tptk? I think your looking more at the $ value than the actual BB number.
  • actyper wrote: »
    40bb stack, how do you overplay tptk? I think your looking more at the $ value than the actual BB number.
    EXACTLY! Played at 1/2 (big for me, lol) with 40BB effective stacks, (same as here) we wouldn't even be talking about it.. I go broke here everytime.. well maybe not broke but lose 40BB at least...
    Now if you were playing with effective stacks of $1K (100BB), or more, different analysis....
  • Quick check to see what people would have done in this spot.

Background:

5/10NL @ FV. Been in the game for about 40 minutes or so, not very active, been watching a few people go at, AA vs QQ for stacks but nothing too significant. Then this hand comes up

Effective stacks 400

I pick up AK in MP....I make it 35 to go, folded to BB.

BB is older player, the general stereotypes exist...rock etc....

Flop Ks8h4c rainbow. BB Checks I bet out 55, BB calls.

Turn is 2H. BB checks I bet out 85 this time, BB check raises me to 200.

Whats my play? Hand result once we get some bashing :P

nice to see a 'rock' slow play aces; odd the bet/raises are so low relative to the blinds (vs 1/2); I often see $30 bets pre-flop at 1/2.

I try not to fall in love with TPTK too much. Just gets me into trouble, especially when being re-raised. I would have thought trips in this case.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    nice to see a 'rock' slow play aces; odd the bet/raises are so low relative to the blinds (vs 1/2); I often see $30 bets pre-flop at 1/2.

I try not to fall in love with TPTK too much. Just gets me into trouble, especially when being re-raised. I would have thought trips in this case.

I thought MP opening 3.5X with AK (a drawing hand) was sufficient. Most passive 5/5 and 5/10 that is standard opening raise. If you are playing a 1/2 game with 30BB raise preflop I would be re-shoving every hand to slow that idiot down. An overbet preflop to me looks like someone who doesn't want to play a flop and is most likely unsure of how to play with their hand post flop.

Like I said previously I usually have a good sense of where I am on the flop when it comes to my hand because for the most part my range is a little tighter.

Usually most players have a weaker holding in the blinds when they do call because they are OOP and just looking to see if they hit. The texture of the board and the flat call on the flop raised some red flags in my head but I went through a multitude of hands he could have had on that flop.

I do agree the hand played out like he had a set and I did get the right card on the turn (the ever so scary flush draw card...LOL) to get check raised. I was actually thinking of checking the turn because my hand did not really increase in strength with the turn card, but I figured if I could barrel again I may discourage some sort of re-draw or 89,810,87 hand of calling to see if they could spike their 2nd pair in addition to the possible KXh draw.

I truly think in this situation he didn't know how strong I was preflop with my hand and figured I was raising a premium holding and considering he had AA the chances of me having an ace in my hand is diminished for a bit.

Thanks again for all the input as always I like to see what others are thinking to check my own thought process.
  • actyper wrote: »
    40bb stack, how do you overplay tptk?
    Agreed, with the shortstacking, one needs less than 20% equity to make calling correct on the turn ($115 / $585). Only if that "rock" is compuease and I think there is less than ~20% probability that TPTK is any good would I fold. Even if I only have an Ah-xh flush draw, I would make the crying call because I am getting the correct implied odds. After I lose my short stack, I would complain to 13CARDS that his site is rigged and tell a "soup" to go fetch me a 100 big blind rebuy at the cage. ;)
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Agreed, with the shortstacking, one needs less than 20% equity to make calling correct on the turn ($115 / $585). Only if that "rock" is compuease and I think there is less than ~20% probability that TPTK is any good would I fold. Even if I only have an Ah-xh flush draw, I would make the crying call because I am getting the correct implied odds. After I lose my short stack, I would complain to 13CARDS that his site is rigged and tell a "soup" to go fetch me a 100 big blind rebuy at the cage. ;)

LOL live poker is rigged I tell you..
    Only if that "rock" is compuease and I think there is less than ~20% probability that TPTK is any good would I fold.
    I woulda folded preflop... You know me too well... :) Come to think of it if it was Jah with the AA's we woulda both folded preflop and the 23o woulda won..... Just kidding Jim.. honest.
  • It's only 40BB you can't do much -- I'm hoping he was the short stack and not you

LOL, As Barry Greenstein says, "Math is idiotic!"

I respectfully disagree with your analysis.

Villain is putting in 200 with 110 back.

This will make an 580 pot with 110 behind...

Would you fold for 110 more on the river?

Not much can come to fold for 6 to 1?

So on the turn you're actually making a call for 200 plus 110 equals 310.

So he's actually raising you 310-85=225 more.

Pot was 35+55+85=175 times two => 350, and it costs 225 more.

So I'd consider the odds 2.5 to 1 -- Not 5 to 1. (115 to 585)

It's pretty clear you're behind. (Did you have a heart in your hand?)

You're shown strength on preflop, flop and turn.
    It's pretty clear he can beat top pair.

I'm okay with folding here.
    I'd consider myself winning here less than 1 in 4.

Calling/pushing isn't horrible but if I thought I was winning 25% of the time I'd fold.
  • LOL, As Barry Greenstein says, "Math is idiotic!"

I respectfully disagree with your analysis.

Villain is putting in 200 with 110 back.

This will make an 580 pot with 110 behind...

Would you fold for 110 more on the river?

Not much can come to fold for 6 to 1?

So on the turn you're actually making a call for 200 plus 110 equals 310.

So he's actually raising you 310-85=225 more.

Pot was 35+55+85=175 times two => 350, and it costs 225 more.

So I'd consider the odds 2.5 to 1 -- Not 5 to 1. (115 to 585)

It's pretty clear you're behind. (Did you have a heart in your hand?)

You're shown strength on preflop, flop and turn.
    It's pretty clear he can beat top pair.

I'm okay with folding here.
    I'd consider myself winning here less than 1 in 4.

Calling/pushing isn't horrible but if I thought I was winning 25% of the time I'd fold.

Yeah putting math aside I usually have a good feel when I am beat just by going on my range vs the avg player. I do believe my hand reading abilities are quite good and this was a lapse of judgement on my part. Too many factors equaled fold but when doing the math it equalled call.

When I think of the typical older player they really don't have moves that aren't telegraphed. They play a low variance style game and I didn't adjust accordingly.