What counts as a MEGA draw.

As I've been reading through the posts of this forum, I see that alot of players play their big draws very aggressively. I have a couple of questions about doing this. First off, what counts as a mega draw?

Situation 1:

Hero : Qd6d

Flop: 7d 8c 9d

Open ended straight draw, one over card and a flush draw, obviously a huge draw, but what about this situation.

Situation 2:

Near end of tournament, 27 players left out of 3000 +, hero holds AsJs. Avg stack size.

Flop:

8s 9c 10 d

Open ended straight draw, villain makes almost pot size bet, but say you call and the turn brings:

Turn:

Ks

Now you're open ended with the nut flush draw, villain bets enough to put you all in for your tournament life....what would you do? Is this draw big enough to warrant a call here? Or is this an easy fold this late in the tourney?

Comments

• your asking the wrong question here. both your examples count as "mega draws" but its really impossible to tell you what to do with those in any situation given other circumstances...

consider...

1. if it costs us a million dollars to draw and theres only 1 in the pot...probably not worthwhile.

2. if your at the WSOP final table of the main event and everybody calls a shove and you have this mega draw...i would suggest folding no matter how awesome the odds are since your pretty much going to be guaranteed moving up 5-8 places on the payout chart.

3. suppose the guy flips over his hand and shows you the nuts before you even do anything...wouldnt you just fold every time? what if you had such a good read that you could know this?
  • So it seems like you're suggesting to stay on the safe side assuming I don't desperately need the chips at this stage of the tourney? Or should I just play it mathematically, and as soon as he takes away the pot odds I stop chasing? Because in the second example I posted that's basically what villain does. Although in the actual tournament where that happened to me I had a very good read on the opponent, at least two pair, but most likely trips. Therefore the overcards don't really factor in. Anyway, I think I will play it more safe later on in the tournaments or at least wait for better spots to get my money in. Thanks.
  • Quinner wrote: »
    As I've been reading through the posts of this forum, I see that alot of players play their big draws very aggressively. I have a couple of questions about doing this. First off, what counts as a mega draw?

Situation 1:

Hero : Qd6d

Flop: 7d 8c 9d

Open ended straight draw, one over card and a flush draw, obviously a huge draw, but what about this situation.

This one is interesting. There are instances where I already have a read on my opponents, based on playing against them in the past where I won't hesitate to fold, because they likely played Ax of diamonds in this spot, making my flush draw useless, or may have already flopped a straight.

If they have JT, then only a diamond saves you (but not the 8).

Quinner wrote: »
    Situation 2:

Near end of tournament, 27 players left out of 3000 +, hero holds AsJs. Avg stack size.

Flop:

8s 9c 10 d

Open ended straight draw, villain makes almost pot size bet, but say you call and the turn brings:

Turn:

Ks

Now you're open ended with the nut flush draw, villain bets enough to put you all in for your tournament life....what would you do? Is this draw big enough to warrant a call here? Or is this an easy fold this late in the tourney?

If this is the $100 Guaranteed Full Tilt Freeroll where 13-27 pays out $2, then taking a chance to accumulate chips here, thus giving you a really good chance to make it to the final table, is worth the gamble. If I lose, I end up with $2, if I fold, I'm probably not going to find a better spot going forward. 27th and 15th (for example) pays the same, so if you have a chance to play a big pot heads-up, I think playing it is worth it.

The ONLY hand I don't want to see is obviously QJ, but the turn card gives you outs.
  • Quinner wrote: »

An open ended straight flush draw is a monster draw especially on the flop. You are flipping coins with any made hand and this is why you can play it so aggressively.

Stack sizes are an important consideration here as well as any other factors that will affect your fold equity but most often it will work out in one of two scenarios.

If your villain is too short stacked to fold it is usually still good to get it in because the money already in the pot is gonna give you good odds on your bet.

If your villain is deep you flip a coin if he calls but make money every time he folds so if your read is that he ever folds here it is ok to get you money in.

Your first paragraph talks about playing huge draws "very aggressively" and then the hand you post you default to calling the villains flop bet.

Aggression is raising, calling is passive. When you call the flop bet and miss on the turn you end up with a big pot and your equity sawn in half (Now you have one card to hit your draw instead of 2). Get aggressive and raise that shit up on the flop. This type of board is really wet and you may not get paid if the flush or straight draw hits anyway (if your villain has clue).
  • tl;dr
    I clicked 'cause Caddy posted..I'm saddened by the results. :(

Thread title based answer: Gut shot straight flush+, strt/flush draw+ two likely live overs imo.
  • Ok, I couldn't resist...
    51HJG7MXD7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg