A question for Mr Dave Scharf...

Okay before I get into it, this yes is for Dave Scharf too answer but I would also like to invite others too post there views as well. Especially Scotty, and all_aces, and sloth. However all responses would be greatly appreciated since I so do love these forums.

Okay Dave I emailed you this question too your CPP email, I am not sure if you got it so I am going to post it on here for everyone too see and get feedback from all.

Okay so basically here is the situation. Last year like you all know I netted quite a bit of money online, I really dont want to get into the figures however it was enough to be considered a salary and enough to live on. So this past June I started thinking about going pro online. Since I live in Brandon, Mantioba and the closest poker room to me is Club Regent 2 hours away in Winnipeg... online play is my only out other than tournaments.

So like I said I started thinking about going pro in June and then something drastic happened. My poker playing started going downhill, I started disliking my regular job that I loved before June. And everything just started going downhill. So I decided to forget about going pro, and just focus on making poker a very profitable and very winning serious hobby of mine. Once I did that again my play increased and got better to back where it was before, I started liking my job once again and everything returned too normal. Okay good, but I have been thinking why did my play slip in the first place and have come to a couple conclusions myself... which is where I want all your opinions.

Did my play slip because of the extra stress I put on myself by thinking about going "pro"? Is this the reason why I started disliking my regular day job as well? This is the conclusion that I came too, because the minute I dropped the notion of going pro like I said... I started playing excellent again and everything returned to the way it was before. What do you all think?

I look forward too all your responses...

Comments

• I think everyone gives 'going pro' some thought after they have a good year in poker. I also think that most bankrolls don't really support that fantasy. You need to have a HUGE bankroll if you want to go pro... I've heard it said that you have to have enough to be able to endure a losing streak that lasts an ENTIRE YEAR.

So, during that year, not only are you not making any money, you're actually losing money. And yes, a losing streak can last a year...

Personally, I wouldn't seriously consider going pro without being 100% debt-free and without being the proud owner of 500K. And even then, I still wouldn't consider it. Maybe I don't love poker enough (and I LOVE poker)... I don't know, but the thought doesn't appeal to me.

As for what may have gone wrong around the time you were considering 'rolling up a stake and going to Vegas' (not literally, I know), you've already mentioned that your running bad was probably a result of stress, that you'd imposed upon yourself. If not, then it was probably a perfectly normal losing streak, if you're a long-term winning player. Basically, if you can rule out leaks in your game (which nobody ever really can), then it was either stress or bad luck.

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Thanks for the relpy all_aces. Yes I tend to agree with you. I love poker. However I dont think that I could ever go pro. Like I said before, I am perfectly happy with it being a hobby that I take very seriously and with the hobby being profitable to me.

And I do think that the downhill spiral that I took durning those months was because of self imposed stress about going pro.

Still looking forward to more replies though, feel free people... :)
  • Dennis187 wrote:
    And I do think that the downhill spiral that I took durning those months was because of self imposed stress about going pro.

Still looking forward to more replies though, feel free people... :)

i really do tend to agree with the above statement, here are my reasons why:

1.even though you hadn't gone 'pro' yet, you had stressed it to yourself as an option, and which u were probably really considering (i would too if i could have a year likeu had :) )so it isnt really a hobby at that time, you were playing as if it was your main source of income (while still keeping your job i hope) and if you took a bad beat/card werent coming , or even high pp getting cracked for a week, the game was no longer fun.

2. work was no longer fun because it seemed so simple playing poker to earn extra income that the job seemed like it was almost a waste of time, except it being a steady paycheck, unlike poker

3. poker was 'becoming your job' which might of in a sense, became not much fun , especially if you were on a major hot streak, and then the cards arent coming and your getting rivered over and over, which we have all been through at one time or another (with different amounts lots, depending on limits played :) )

im no psychologist, but these seem like the most logical answers, and probably near the correct answer imo....i've always wanted to be a pro poker player (simply because i hate doin tech support) but it wont ever happen being that i have no 'consistent bankroll' (making $50 deposits from time to time on stars) and im always up and down, with the occasional small-medium tournament win, usually satellites for wcoop/wpt but nothing huge, mostly play sit n gos but lately i've been cleaning up .10/.25 NL on stars, i know its only a few dollars here and there at times, but i can usually outplay my opponents there so its easy money, just play your 'A' game :D

Hope this helps ya

Pigga

***EDIT*** realizing after i read through it, #1 and #3 are pretty much the same but oh well :banghead: