Freeroll question

Alright, I've been playing some freerolls lately and now I've got a few questions.

First off, last night I was playing a Limit H/L Omaha freeroll, and I got placed at a really loose table (where the players were just raising everytime it came around to them, obviously not caring about how they did). I decided on a srategy to try and win a couple big pots so I could sit on about 7K till either I got switched, they got switched, or they busted out. Well, I busted out trying to accomplish this, so I spent a good hour trying to figure out what to do in a situation like this, and I came up with nothing, so now I'm here asking the experts how I could work a table like this.

Second, Anyone have any tips for NL Hold'em freerolls? I'm assuming there is going to be more fish than there would be at a STud or H/L omaha game, so any tips are appreciated, or link to sites with tips.

Thanks in advance, Snoman

Comments

• I've played a few NL Holdem freerolls, and I find the first hour or so tends to be the hardest to survive. The players haven't risked anything to get in, so they feel like nothing is lost if they bust out. Lots of them are hoping to either double up early, or bust out so they can play a more valuable game. This makes them very willing to go all-in.

If you think you're one of the better players in the tournament, and you want to maximize your chances of winning (or at least getting in the money), you probably want to just about sit out this part of the tournanement. Play only very premium hands, and hope to be about even as of the first break. By that point, most of the crazy players will have busted out, and a normal tight-aggressive tournament style will work better.
  • If you think you're one of the better players in the tournament,

Lol.. it's a freeroll not the WSOP.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Lol.. it's a freeroll not the WSOP.

*sigh*

If your post's contribution to the thread is going to be this small, please consider posting nothing instead.

*ahem*

As for freeroll strategy, if you're using freerolls as a learning tool*, I'd suggest a high variance approach to the early stages. The higher quality tournament simulation will likely come in the very late stages of the tournament, and you need to build up some chips early to get there.

Sure, a high variance approach will cause you to bust out more frequently at the beginning. But, since you're playing for free, this is no biggie. More importantly, the times you do bust out early will free up your time to accompligh other things. You could read a poker book. Play in a different freeroll. Practice on some poker software. Do something completely unrelated to poker.

It's not going to teach you much by grinding through the early and early-mid stages of a freeroll with a short stack. Get in there and build some chips to try to make your way deep into the tourney at the cost (or perhaps subtle benefit) of busting out more often.

ScottyZ

*If you like playing freeroll tournaments solely for entertainment value, then stop reading this post and have fun. :cool:
  • I think freerolls can be fun just to test out your skills.

Honestly playing a free-roll is like playing non-stop sudden-death short-handed poker. Since your almost compelled to get in the action because the people sitting around you are either busting or doubling up constantly at the start.

Take the oppurtunity to really learn how to play bad cards well, before the flop, on the flop and at the end.

All those skills in someway can be so valuable, if you ever end up shorthanded, at the final table of a tourney. You'll have an appreciation of how to effectively play 47o.

Having said all this, i can't stand freerolls, because i'm not agressive enough and i get bored by not having anything at stake.
  • If your post's contribution to the thread is going to be this small, please consider posting nothing instead.

Fine.

If you consider yourself vastly superior to your opponents in a freeroll, then bone up the $50 and play for real money online. The quality of play is no different and you can win real sums of cash for your time.

Also Scotty, if you can't handle a comical post or two, I don't care. Not everything you've posted in a thread is gold or on topic or interesting.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    Fine.

If you consider yourself vastly superior to your opponents in a freeroll, then bone up the $50 and play for real money online. The quality of play is no different and you can win real sums of cash for your time.

Also Scotty, if you can't handle a comical post or two, I don't care. Not everything you've posted in a thread is gold or on topic or interesting.

What i don't get is that you're so sarcastic, condesending and down right rude to everyone on the forum. Then someone pushs back, just like a bully, you go cry to mommy that because someone laughed at you.

'A sneer is the weapon of the weak.'

Chugs
  • Well, this thread seems likely to get out of hand quickly. :)
    Also Scotty, if you can't handle a comical post or two, I don't care.

Frankly, I don't find your initial post in this thread funny. In fact, it strikes me that you're just making fun of someone who seems to be genuinely trying to help someone else who is interested in learning about freeroll tournament strategy.

This topic may not interest you (or many others), which is fine. The OP has done very well and made it clear in the thread subject line that this thread has something to do with freerolls.

Furthermore, the "advice" you give in a subsequent post was both off-topic, and presented in a "I'm too good to answer your real questions" tone. The OP was seeking information on playing freerolls. I'm not saying that you can't introduce now information into a thread--- new information and original suggestions in a thread are typically very, very good.

It's the *tone* you use which bothers me. Much better would have been a response to the effect of:

"Have you ever considered playing for real money online?"

or

"Why do you prefer playing freerolls compared to real money games online?"

To borrow Chugs' words, I found the following to be condescending, and downright rude:
    If you consider yourself vastly superior to your opponents in a freeroll, then bone up the $50 and play for real money online.

As for the following:
    Not everything you've posted in a thread is gold or on topic or interesting.

I'm sure that this is correct, and a clever attempt at passing off tautology as logical argument.

Actually, I tend to think that the majority of my posts are on topic, interesting, and perhaps now and then even "gold".

Moreso than some posters I can think of.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ ... that last post ... GOLD!!!
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Moreso than some posters I can think of.

Well, that would be most of the members. Especially that esool guy. :D
  • djw wrote:
    Well, that would be most of the members.

Holy smokes, I hope people don't interpret that line as some kind of broad-based cutdown of the forum members.

Of course, I was only referring to that Dave Scharf nutcase.

;););)
    Especially that esool guy. :D

Almost a Scharf, but he needs a little more work. ;)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Holy smokes, I hope people don't interpret that line as some kind of broad-based cutdown of the forum members.

Of course, I was only referring to that Dave Scharf nutcase.

;););)

Almost a Scharf, but he needs a little more work. ;)

ScottyZ

Awe man, Dave Scharf is on these forums? What are we doing, giving away membership?! :rolleyes:
  • Jeez, we really hijacked poor Snoman's thread.

Any more thoughts on overall approaches to playing in large MTT freeroll tournaments?

Save us from the ensuing flame war!!!

ScottyZ