Can I lay this down?

Just want some thoughts on this hand.
At a recent tourny ( 40 players, starting stacks 10000, blinds at 50/100 ) I get dealt A's in the small blind......as best I can remember. I've noticed the guy on the button has maybe played one hand.
A couple of limpers, button limps, I make it 400. Folds to the button who calls.
Flop comes 6c 3c 2s
I bet out 1200....button raises 1800....should I be concerned here??
I reraise to 5000, button goes all in and I insta-call.

Button shows 6's and I get crippled.

Did I misplay this hand? It was very early on and my read was he had to have big cards to call my preflop raise considering he had been folding so much to this point.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I think this is a tough one to avoid, but as a rule, I think players (myself included) are too quick to push all-in - especially with one pair. I think your preflop play was fine - I probably would have raised to more than $400, but I am sure others would argue the point.

Of course it is easy to see after the fact, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that this player has decided to play a small pair in position when everyone else has folded to your raise. I would not have put him on a big pair, because I would have expected a raise preflop given several limpers and the potential of the blinds calling. It is early in the tournament and he is set mining and got lucky. He is probably scared of the flush draw, and that is why he raises. He has a much better idea of the strength of your hand than you do of his.

I hope I can take my own advice in the future, and not rush to push aces.
  • harvman wrote: »
    Just want some thoughts on this hand.
    At a recent tourny ( 40 players, starting stacks 10000, blinds at 50/100 ) I get dealt A's in the small blind......as best I can remember. I've noticed the guy on the button has maybe played one hand.
    A couple of limrpers, button limps, I make it 400. Folds to the button who calls.

I think your raise was too small. There is already 350 in this pot when you raise to 400. Your giving the button great odds to call, not to mention the blinds, and this deep your likely going to get the limpers too.
    Flop comes 6c 3c 2s
    I bet out 1200....button raises 1800....should I be concerned here??
    I reraise to 5000, button goes all in and I insta-call.

When the button raises you, what do you think he is doing? He has only played one hand and you think he may be splashing around with air?

Then you reraise and get re-shoved on?

Likely your beat, sure he could be weak passive and called with queens but if he did that, he wouldn't be raising you now.

now everytime you have aces, think of this hand and remember to punish people to play, not let em in cheap