Unprecedented rebuy fever.

MrSmokey1 is 36th on the PokerStars Tournament Leader Board for the year. Here's how he played the first hour of the rebuy tournament I'm currently in (I'm at his table). I'm not going to post the hand histories... that would make this WAAAAY to long. I'll shorten it to one line per hand, with no embellishments.

Hand 1: MrSmokey1 rebuys to 3K and folds. ($20)
Hand 2: MrSmokey1 (Ad5h) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($40)
Hand 3: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 4: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 5: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 6: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 7: MrSmokey1 (Jd5c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 1690. ($50)
Hand 8: MrSmokey1 (4d6h) goes allin and wins. 3400.
Hand 9: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 10: MrSmokey1 (5s5c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 2010. ($60)
Hand 11: MrSmokey1 (8s8c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($80)
Hand 12: MrSmokey1 (Ks6c) goes allin and wins. 5790.
Hand 13: MrSmokey1 (Td2s) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($100)
Hand 14: MrSmokey1 (5s7d) goes allin and wins. 4480.
Hand 15: MrSmokey1 (Jh5s) goes allin and loses. 1570.
Hand 16: MrSmokey1 (7cJh) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($120)
Hand 17: MrSmokey1 (Js3d) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($140)
Hand 18: MrSmokey1 (4cKh) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($160)
Hand 19: MrSmokey1 (AhJh) goes allin and wins. 6010.
Hand 20: MrSmokey1 (JcKc) goes allin and wins. 7540.
Hand 21: MrSmokey1 (5s9s) goes allin and wins. 10,380.
Hand 22: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 23: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 24: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 25: MrSmokey1 is the BB, checks and calls the minimum bet the whole way and loses. 10,290.
Hand 26: MrSmokey1 (KsAd) goes allin and loses. 7380.
Hand 27: MrSmokey1 (9hQs) goes allin and loses. 4500.
Hand 28: MrSmokey1 (Jc6s) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($180)
Hand 29: MrSmokey1 (4d2s) goes allin and wins. 4500.
Hand 30: MrSmokey1 (Kc7c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($200)
Hand 31: MrSmokey1 (3s7c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($220)
Hand 32: MrSmokey1 (7hKs) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 2175. ($230)
Hand 33: MrSmokey1 (5h7d) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($250)
Hand 34: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 35: MrSmokey1 (6h7h) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($270)
Hand 36: MrSmokey1 (Ts3s) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($290)
Hand 37: MrSmokey1 (Ks6c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($310)
Hand 38: MrSmokey1 (8h2c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($330)
Hand 39: MrSmokey1 (2s4h) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($350)
Hand 40: MrSmokey1 (2s9c) goes allin and wins. 6045.
Hand 41: MrSmokey1 (9cQh) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($370)
Hand 42: MrSmokey1 (7sQc) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($390)
Hand 43: MrSmokey1 (Th3c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($410)
Hand 44: MrSmokey1 (KdAd) goes allin and doesn't get called. 3050.
Hand 45: MrSmokey1 (2d3c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($430)
Hand 46: MrSmokey1 (QcJh) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($450)
Hand 47: MrSmokey1 (Ac6d) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($470)
Hand 48: MrSmokey1 (4h9d) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($490)
Hand 49: MrSmokey1 (Kd9d) goes allin and wins. 4575.
Hand 50: MrSmokey1 (2h3d) goes allin and wins. 5565.
Hand 51: MrSmokey1 (8c7c) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($510)
Hand 52: MrSmokey1 (Qh3d) goes allin and loses. 1550.
Hand 53: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called. 1800.
Hand 54: MrSmokey1 (8dTh) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($530)
Hand 55: MrSmokey1 (5cQs) goes allin and loses. Rebuys to 3K. ($550)
Hand 56: MrSmokey1 (2h8s) goes allin and wins. 5875.
Hand 57: MrSmokey1 (6h6s) goes allin and wins. 11,775.
Hand 58: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 59: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 60: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 61: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 62: MrSmokey1 (3h3c) goes allin and wins. 13,125.
Hand 63: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 64: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 65: MrSmokey1 goes allin and doesn't get called.
Hand 66: MrSmokey1 folds.
Hand 67: MrSmokey1 (2d2c) plays a very modest pot and loses. 12,775.
Hands 68 to 78: MrSmokey1 folds.

End of rebuy period.

So, he spent $550 to build a 12,325 stack by the end of the rebuy period. Meanwhile, 4 out of the 5 chip leaders were at my table because of him. Unfortunately, I wasn't getting enough good cards to capitalize on the situation, but he did double me through twice. I'm still in it (104 out of 201, not bad) and he busted out about an hour after the rebuy period, after playing some very solid poker.

I think he set two records tonight: most money spent on a $10 rebuy tournament, and the least amount of money raked ($1) from a $550 wager at a poker website.

Regards,
all_aces

Comments

• I'm reading this and just in shock ... how could he actually fold 11 hands out of the first 67.

Must have had aces and didn't want them to get cracked ... guess he was gunshy.
  • That was unreal!

I was in the tourney too, (busted out shortley after rebuy period), and was able to witness the madness.

I was frustrated though, my table was insanely tight throughout the whole rebuy period, then I was watching that, I desperately wanted a table in between.

My only hypothesis as to why he did that is it must have been an expierment.
    It seemed everytime he built his stack to over 10K, he would quit going all in every hand. And when he dipped bellow 10K, bingo, back to craziness.

Anways, I am glad you brought up this bizarre event.

Good luck in the rest of the tourney!
  • My money says it was a stolen credit card or something.
    Hand 21: MrSmokey1 (5s9s) goes allin and wins. 10,380.
    Hand 26: MrSmokey1 (KsAd) goes allin and loses. 7380.
    Hand 27: MrSmokey1 (9hQs) goes allin and loses. 4500.

Now.. theres nothing wrong with playing like a crazy maniac to build chips by any means possible.. but this sequence of hands makes no sense to me.. He got to 10K which seems like a great time to take the finger off the all-in button and coast into the next hour but he proceeds to blow it all with a Q9o...

Well atleast I dont have to wonder how those rebuy prizepools get so big..
  • BBC Z wrote:
    My money says it was a stolen credit card or something.

Now.. theres nothing wrong with playing like a crazy maniac to build chips by any means possible.. but this sequence of hands makes no sense to me.. He got to 10K which seems like a great time to take the finger off the all-in button and coast into the next hour but he proceeds to blow it all with a Q9o...

Well atleast I dont have to wonder how those rebuy prizepools get so big..

Actually he built to the 10k and then got AK and got called ... and lost.

If he wins the AK you would think that maybe he stops since he would be upto about 18,000 on the hand ... maybe more (not sure how many callers he had)
  • He often plays this way. He often does well in the re-buy tourneys. Actually he does well often in tourneys. He is very good player and is obviously very aggressive during the rebuy period. You will often see him a top the chip leaders after the rebuy period is over. A little Daniel in him...lol.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    My money says it was a stolen credit card or something.
    Actually - the red flag that went up in my head : Collusion.

I'd be suspicious that he was dumping chips to another player at the table, to help him become chipleader, and then they'd split the profit when they won.

Hopefully it didn't work out for them ;)
  • He was dumping chips to EVERYBODY at the table... we took turns. Whoever had Ax called him.
  • Now.. theres nothing wrong with playing like a crazy maniac to build chips by any means possible..

IMO, you can gain a significant EV edge in the $11+R (or similar) by playing sensibly during the rebuy period (though possibly taking the occasional shot at a wacko), while many other players are rebuying too loosely.
    Actually - the red flag that went up in my head : Collusion.

It's hard to use collusion/chip-dumping in the early rounds of such a tourney where you only have about a 1% chance of being seated at a table with one of your potential collusion partners.

ScottyZ
  • I think Scotty hit it on the nail. Except for occasionally taking chances with likely coin flips, you can do really well in these re-buys whith people really lowering there playing requirements.
  • ... do you think he had when he folded????

He went all-in with a 23o twice
    He also went all-in with a 24o twice, remarkably winning one of these hands. lol

Even if he was a loose cannon and only played half of these hands, he still would have done like crap! Looks like he won the majority of his hands on the even worse hands. Losing the majority of his good hands!

She's a great game!

Great read
  • I'm not sure if there's much to be gained by examining such a small sample size, but for interest's sake, I seperated his all-in hands into 'playable' and 'un-playable'. The worst hands I considered playable were hands like K7s and 67s and A5o, etc.... Obviously not great hands to move in with, but not terrible, either. The best hands I considered un-playable were hands like K7o and Q9o, etc... along with all the obvious ones.

Here's what I found:

Playable Hands (14)

Won: 5 Lost: 9

Un-playable Hands (31)

Won: 7 Lost: 24

So, he won with 35.7% of his playable hands, and 22.6% of his un-playable hands.

What does this tell us?

Nothing. Maybe that I have too much time on my hands. Besides that, really not much.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I have been fortunate enough to be on Mr Smokeys table for the rebuy events several times. He played the same crazy way every time. He doubled me up several times when I got some big pairs.

I know it seems like a crazy way to play, but his goal is to double up 3 times during that rebuy period. He wants to finish with around 20 000 in chips at the end of the first hour. If he accomplishes his goal in the first hour he will then play solid aggressive tournament poker for the remainder.

With a large stack a skilled player like Mr Smokey has an excellent chance of cashing deep into the event.

I have neither the bank roll, skill or comfort to play this stye of poker, but I have no doubt that Mr Smokey makes money in the long run in rebuy events.

I have also seen several other players currently in the top 150 for the year on the stars leader board use this same stye of play in the first hour of a rebuy event. SDouble, G6dragon are two I can name off the top of my head.
  • This was the $10+1 rebut from November 4th.... right?

Spending $550 for a shot at ~$8000 seems a wee bit crazy... assuming this is the norm... he could place 4th 25% of the time and still lose money.

Can you spell V-A-R-I-A-N-C-E?
    I seperated his all-in hands into 'playable' and 'un-playable'
    I didn't see to much "play" from this guy... perhaps the better list would be:

Pushable Hands: 55,88,AJs,KJs,AKo,AKs,66,33...(8)
    Won: 4 Lost: 3 NoCallers: 1.....~56%

The Rest: (37)
    Won: 8 Lost: 29.....~21%
    What does this tell us?

Nothing. Maybe that I have too much time on my hands.
    You ain't the only one!:D
  • Just to go along with what Dick said Mr Smokey is only one of many that use this kind of approach in the $10 rebuys and for that matter in all the rebuys. I was at the $100 re-buy table and watched "Exclusive" push or fold untill he was just under $20,000 (doubling with some pretty bad cards). Players of their caliber really do well using this stragey but to use it you must be a very strong player after the rebuy period is over and have a very deep bankroll.

As a side some of the players in the $10 rebuys that you will see using the push or fold method (maybe playing a few less hands than Mr Smokey in this particular tourney) are ThaiTiger, Hot1, Exclusive, Mr Smokey, Tecoy, crap I can't think of any others right now but they are a lot fun to play with and are easy to spot when at the table. Plus they won't be complaining about beats ever since with this style they probably lay more beats in a single tourney than many tight players will lay in a year. Just hope to get decent cards and double your way through.

Jamie.
  • I myself use this same method when i was playing those $3+R to WPT Quallfiers......just until i build a stack of about 15-16k before rebuys end.....basically in any rebuy tourney i want over 10k before 1st break

i probably wont play any rebuy tourneys unless i have enough to rebuy/addon at least 5-6 times......its just not worth it imo......funny things in the 2 wpt qualifiers i won, i rebought once in the first one and added on, and a few times in the 2nd, but only had about 6-7k in chips in each at first break and battled back miracleously :)
  • sweetjimmi wrote:
    ...Tecoy, crap I can't think of any others right now but...

Now that's interesting. I believe Tecoy was the TLB leader 2 weeks in a row in recent months.
  • all_aces wrote:
    the least amount of money raked ($1) from a $550 wager at a poker website.

Regards,
    all_aces

try this one out

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=2241
  • Very cool hand, thanks! $3 on 30K isn't bad either, lol... I'll have some of whatever SpicyF's opponent was having please.
  • About six months ago, I was regularly doing bedtime duties with my daughter and couldn't get into the $3 game until 9:45. I would win a set on a regular basis by going into the post-rebuy period with 5-6k. GIven the number of bad players in that tourney, I don't think a big stack is a requirement till the third hour. So, I'm don't know that a huge stack is that much of a requirement in that particular tourney.

Cheers
    Magi
  • my record for a stars rebuy was 34 rebuys in the 11. i then came 4th. my table had 5 big time stars tourney players and basically 6 people went all in every hand for the whole hour. at the add on we had 7 of top 10 on table. was truly retarded. i should post that HH somehwere
  • So, I'm don't know that a huge stack is that much of a requirement in that particular tourney.

I agree. I'm not overly interested in investing 30+ dollars for the chance to win a $215 seat. It just seems like too much of an investment... I've won seats out of nowhere when I only had 5-6k after the rebuy period (not even taking the addon since I felt I hadn't built my stack enough to justify it).
  • I'll agree that you don't need a huge stack out of the rebuy period to win a seat, there's plenty of oppurtunities to pick up some chips. But why would you not take the add-on with a smaler stack? In your case in the 5-6K range you're adding another 33% to your stack and the chips are cheaper than your starting chips. This makes a huge difference. You should only consider not taking the add-on when you have a very big stack, and they don't let you take it over 20K anwyays.