Tourney Hand discussion

Hi Dave and all,
I recently was playing at the Rock's NL tourney. When the following hand came up. Details:
Entrants-165
Remained-27
Paid top 15
Blinds $1000-$2000 ante $200 every 20 minutes goes up.

SB stack $100K
BB me $26K
UTG $26K
MP $17K

UTG limps in for $2000 avg tight player
MP limps in for $2000 loose player
SB calls$1000 70 year old man who couldn't see well but schooling everyone
I check. Tight player image.

Flop comes A, A, 8 of diamonds
SB checks
Me BB with A3 diamonds check
UTG checks
MP checks
Turn is 7 of diamonds
SB checks
Me BB bets $10K with 3 Aces and nut Flush draw.
UTG raises all in for $26K total
MP folds
SB folds
Me BB What do I do? I got 3 Aces with nut flush draw. If he has a bigger kicker then he's ahead, but I have three- 7's or three 8's for split, 3 threes and 8 diamonds for the win, giving me 17 outs.

What's the right play here?

Comments

• i'd say you should call...

if he's tight, his most likely hand is a high ace and he doesn't have a full house yet....although there will be some chance he has 88 or 77...how much chance, only you know, based on his play

so assuming he has trips...the pot is laying you ~ 3-1 odds...and you probably have 11 outs for the full pot (8 diamonds excluding the diamond that makes his boat, plus the other 3's), and as many as 10 or 14 outs for a split (depending on just how tight he is, a K and/or Q might split it as well as an 8/7)....a split pot gives you 13k back, which is significant since you only have 14k left when he raises

and if he does end up having a boat already with 88/77, at least you have 4-7 outs that still win (A, 3, and 8 if he has 77)...not great, but better than nothing.....i would say its highly unlikely he has A8 or A7.....maybe KQd is also a small possibility? that would be the best hand to see...

in terms of tournament situation, you're still too far from the money to hope to just slip in with small stack if you fold...but you also wouldn't be so short-stacked that you couldn't make a comeback....but with only 14k left, and losing 5k a round (maybe blinds also go up soon?), you will be in a very precarious spot and will have a hard time stealing the blinds with <14k.....winning this hand would give you about 56k which, i'm guessing, you could do some damage with, especially with everyone starting to tighten up as the money approaches......so maybe going all-in here gives you the best chance to win the tournament?

as for how you played the hand, i'm not sure i would have checked the flop and then bet the turn...you're not going to like being called or raised by anyone, as you'll most definitely be beat if you are......its also a situation where, if you're ahead on the flop, you're not likely to be caught (esp. with a 2nd diamond coming out)....so why not check all the way, and give someone else a chance to bluff or bet with a 2nd best hand.....at least that way there is a chance you are ahead when you raise/call all-in, instead of the situation you are presented with now, knowing you are behind....
  • Have to agree with everything Arkose said....I call.
  • I agree. Call.

As another thought... move in pre-flop. Axs is a good hand to make a big move with against a bunch of limpers.
  • Thanks Guys
    I called he showed AK, a 6 hearts fell on the river and I was knocked out finishing in 25 place. Strangely I was not at all upset getting knocked out as I had played some of my best poker and got my money in with the best of it. I will learn from this and look to better my game on Wednesday.