GimmmeAces21 checks.
eldredj checks.
the_main bets [$4].
GimmmeAces21 raises [$20].
eldredj is all-In.
the_main is all-In.
GimmmeAces21 calls [$14.15].
** Dealing River ** [ 8d ]
GimmmeAces21 shows [ Jd, Qh ] a full house, Queens full of jacks.
eldredj doesn't show [ As, Tc ] two pairs, aces and queens.
the_main shows [ Qd, Ad ] a full house, Queens full of aces.
the_main wins $62.05 from side pot #1 with a full house, Queens full of aces.
the_main wins $16.55 from the main pot with a full house, Queens full of aces.

Comments

• heres one that made me smile. i only wish every hand i played was as beautiful as this one

Stage #41895153: Holdem Single Tournament No Limit $50 [2004-10-26 01:19:44]
    Seat 1 - KROBAR $1575 in chips
    Seat 5 - JNICE412 $2075 in chips
    Seat 7 - RALPHDAMOUSE $6340 in chips
    Seat 8 - JLRICH $3510 in chips
    *** BLIND [dealer 1] ***
    JNICE412 - Post small blind $50
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Post big blind $100
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Pocket [A:diamond:,5:club:]
    JLRICH - Calls $100
    KROBAR - Folds
    JNICE412 - Calls $50
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Checks
    *** FLOP [8:club:,A:heart:,5:heart:] ***
    JNICE412 - Checks
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Checks
    JLRICH - Checks
    *** TURN [8:club:,A:heart:,5:heart:,A:spade:] ***
    JNICE412 - Checks
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Bets $100
    JLRICH - Calls $100
    JNICE412 - Folds
    *** RIVER [8:club:,A:heart:,5:heart:,A:spade:,A:club:] ***
    RALPHDAMOUSE - Bets $500
    JLRICH - Calls $500

..which actually brings up a good question. when you hit the board this hard how can you extract the most money out of someone? how could i have played this differently?
  • I would have raised pre-flop, 500 more to go, unless I had seen something special and expected one of my opponents to call (or raise) after limping in. By default, I would not expect this. Nothing wrong at all with checking, and this has many advantages. It depends to some degree what sort of overall posture you're adopting as the big stack.

Having checked pre-flop (or having raised and been called), I probably would have made a standard bet, even if it results in moving all-in, on the flop. Although you flop a big hand here, it's not without its vulnerabilities. You'd probably dislike seeing a heart come off on the turn, and hate another 8. It's not so much that you may be concerned about your opponents actually hitting their hands with the scare cards mentioned, but that such cards on the turn will have to slow *you* down, possibly not allowing you to extract all the value you could have. You may even get pushed off the best hand by a skilled, creative opponent if you end up hating the turn card. (On the other hand, if you choose not to slow down, you may be behind and dead to 2 or 4 outs.)

I don't like betting 100 on the turn. I think that checking is *far* superior to making a minimum bet here. If I had checked the flop, I would certainly check again here now that all of the scare cards just went away. Why let complete gank like Q9o get away from the hand on the turn by betting out only 100?

Having bet the flop I would certainly fire again, since this would look very natural to an opponent who was skeptically concluding that I was trying to push him off the pot. Betting the flop and checking the turn would simply be too obvious.

Despite how it might first look (i.e. possibly killing your action), I believe the river is an excellent card for you. A typical opponent now cannot get away from this hand if he holds an 8 (or better), and many opponents would find it very difficult to lay down *any* full house here. I would move all-in no matter how the previous betting has gone.

Moving all-in on the river also has an interesting psychological consequence. Your opponent may make a (FTOP) mistake and lose all of his chips. However, with a full house, particularly an 8, the right (FTOP) play is folding. Even if your opponent has enough skill to make the laydown, this particular fold will probably cause even the best players to second guess themselves at least a little in terms of that hand specifically.

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Your opponent may make a (FTOP) mistake
    ScottyZ

What is FTOP?? :confused:
  • What is FTOP?? :confused:

Fundamental Theorem of Poker, as in Theory of Poker by Sklansky.

ScottyZ
  • Thanks Scotty.