First Pokerforum.ca Tournament

Hi everyone!

It seems like iPoker.net is the only site where it's possible to easily run private tournaments, so I say we go with that site for our first Pokerforum.ca tournament.

Before the actual tournament I thought we would have a practice tournament, so everyone can get used to the iPoker software, etc.

The *practice* tournament will be open to anyone who is a registered user. It will take place on Tues, Mar 30 at 8:30pm Eastern time (check your time zone carefully). It will be a $2 buy-in with no prizes, although there will be (small) cash prizes as this is still a real money tournament.

This should allow people lots of time to set up iPoker accounts and get some money into Neteller (or whatever you want to use, iPoker has various funding methods). I will always have "prize tournaments" at the smallest possible buy-in, which is currently $2.

The real tournament (i.e. the one with the prizes) will take place Tues, Apr 6 at 8:30pm Eastern. I've decided that anyone who was a registered member of this forum as of Mar 11/04*** is eligible to play in this tournament. I reserve the right to add people to the list of eligible players as I see fit, but anyone who was a member as of Mar 11/04 will definitely be eligible.

***UPDATE: This is no longer a requirement. ALL registered members are eligible to play in the main tournament.

No minimum number of posts will be required since the forum is relatively new, and I think that the way I've set it up prevents people from joining the forum in the future for the sole purpose of playing in this tournament.

How to participate:

1. Open an account at www.iPoker.net

2. Fund the account. You will need $2 in your account to buy-in to either the practice or the real tournament ($4 for both). Expect there to be some kind of minimum deposit required depending of the form of funding ($25USD is the minimum Neteller deposit for example).

3. Private message me on this forum with your iPoker username (this is important so I can actually make it a private tournament!), and whether or not you want to also enter the practice tournament. Do this even if you are a "maybe"--- it's okay if you are on the list of eligible players and don't play in the tournament (i.e. you can't lose the $2 buy-in if you don't actually register for the tournament yourself).

Important: The deadline for sending me the information in #3 is Tues, Mar 23. (UPDATE: Fri, Apr 2) Don't worry about funding delays in terms of meeting this deadline; all I need is your iPoker userid, and this can be obtained (actually, you choose it... Hint: ScottyZ is taken) from iPoker within a couple of minutes when you register there. I need some advance notice of the participants because iPoker needs a few days to actually set up the tournament for us.

Also, your account obviously must have the $2 buy-in(s) at the time you actually register for the tournament(s).

As I've said already, iPoker is an un-established start-up online poker site, so any deposits you make there are *at your own risk*, and your participation in these (or any) Pokerforum.ca events is completely voluntary.

Also, I was considering posting a list matching people's Pokerforum.ca handles with their iPoker handles. If you do not wish to be on such a list, let me know. I just thought it might be inetersting to see who's who while we're playing.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

ScottyZ

Comments

• btw - April 5 is a monday.
  • Woop, thanks!

I meant Tues, Apr 6th. I'll make that change in the original post.

ScottyZ
  • Hey, that's my birthday!

I don't suppose anyone's going to be generous enough that day to give me some chips... ;)

hork.
  • I noticed on iPoker that if you use Neteller to deposit, you get a $40 bonus up to $200. That's pretty sweet. Make sure you check it out.
  • Yes, I think so. (I think you meant 40% up to $200.)

As I remember, it's 20% for a new account (regardless of deposit method), and then an additional 20% for using Neteller.

I believe you may have to send an email to customer support after your first deposit and ask for these bonuses. And, as usual, there would be some conditions you'd need to meet (playing raked hands, tournaments, etc) to get the bonus released.

ScottyZ
  • Does ipoker have any affliate or referral program. Since there'll be a bunch of us signing up, why not set up an affiliate for pokerforum.ca or all of us using one person (sloth) as the referral. just a thought, haven't checked out the site myself.
  • That's a good idea, but I didn't see anything like that so far on their website.

ScottyZ
  • Does iPoker "rake" our tournament registration? I wonder how they make money off of this...unless they're just trying to attract players to their program, to keep them for the cash games.
  • I believe they do take some kind of house drop from the tournament fee. I asked them how much the house drop in an email to their customer support, and they didn't give a direct response. Instead, they said:
    > Administration fee is based on the buy-in. Let us know what you have in mind. If the turn out is over 25 players for the first
    event, we would definitely consider adding more money or other incentives to encourage your members to continue playing in your
    private group tournaments. And certainly after your first tourney we could arrange more sweeteners, if your players are regulars
    and your tourneys are consistent.

So, as you mentioned, they might start giving us bonuses if we ever start playing larger tournaments there. However, for now, the plan is to keep buy-ins as low as possible ($2) for "official" pokerforum.ca tournaments.

Mmmmm....sweetners... :P

ScottyZ
  • certainly after your first tourney we could arrange more sweeteners

Maybe one of their sponsors is Nutrisweet....?

"And, if you can get 30 people to join, we'll send you a crate of Aspartame for you and your friends to enjoy!"

hork.
  • A reminder that the deadline for sending me your iPoker username if you wish to participate is rather soon (Tues, Mar 23):
    3. Private message me on this forum with your iPoker username (this is important so I can actually make it a private tournament!), and whether or not you want to also enter the practice tournament. Do this even if you are a "maybe"--- it's okay if you are on the list of eligible players and don't play in the tournament (i.e. you can't lose the $2 buy-in if you don't actually register for the tournament yourself).

Important: The deadline for sending me the information in #3 is Tues, Mar 23. Don't worry about funding delays in terms of meeting this deadline; all I need is your iPoker userid, and this can be obtained (actually, you choose it... Hint: ScottyZ is taken) from iPoker within a couple of minutes when you register there. I need some advance notice of the participants because iPoker needs a few days to actually set up the tournament for us.
  • oops.. I guess I'll be signing up tonight :lol:
  • Actually, we've only got 5 players so far (woohoo! so far we've all made into the money, erm... prizes). So, I'm going to extend the deadline for sending me your iPoker username for the main tournament (the one with prizes) to

Thur, Apr 1

and I'll make the practice tournament password protected instead of sending iPoker the list of eligible registrants. That way, anybody can play in the practice tournament. (I'll post that password here later.)

ScottyZ
  • I'd like to register, as well...! Just haven't gotten around to it.
  • I'll also post this here for reference:

We've decided to make a change and allow *all* Pokerforum.ca members to participate in the first tournament, regardless of their registration date.

In order to register, you must private message me on this forum with your iPoker.net username *by this Friday* (Apr 2). All the other details of this tournament remain the same (see the other thread for the tournament details).

The date & time of the tournament (and practice tournament) remain the same, and those who have PM'ed me already do not need to do so again.

Note that the tournament is coming up soon (Tues, Apr 6), so if you wish to participate, be sure to fund your iPoker.net account early to allow enough time for the funds to arrive.

Anyone interested in the practice tournament, the tournament name is Pokerforum, and the password is vvpatten.

ScottyZ
  • Reminder: Today (Fri, Apr 2) is the last day to register for the first Pokerforum.ca tournament.

Private message me with your iPoker username if you wish to be included in the list of players who are eligible for the tournament.

ScottyZ
  • is the site down for anyone other than me?
  • Hi Sloth, keep trying, it did the same to me, and then worked all of a sudden.
  • ya, a reboot did the trick. Also cleared internet explorer history.
  • I'm currently logged into the site. I'll try to get the tournament start delayed if you are still having trouble signing in.

ScottyZ
  • Okay, I see you've registered now. Let me know if anyone else is having problems logging in.

ScottyZ
  • We had 10 players out for the inagural Pokerforum.ca tournament. Thanks to everyone who partipated, and thanks again to sloth for donating the prizes.

The order of finish was:

1. SirBry
    2. hork42
    3. sloth
    4. rroarr
    5. Dave Scharf
    6. vinsanity
    7. Jeremy
    8. ScottyZ
    9. giggles
    10. esool