Please Someone Help With Ip

Greetings forum!

Happy Monday.......
This is seperate from any other posts.

I need help in a big way with some computer stuff. Recently, a friend had 5k stolen from his pokerstars account. Pokerstars refuses to do anything, but has sent the IP address of the theif and some info on that.

I know IP addresses can be changed daily. Otherwise I do not know much about them. Does anyone out there know if it is possible to actually locate the physical location of a comp based on an IP address? and if so, does anyone know how to do it?

We have narrowed down the possible theives, and none of them are smart enough to change ip addreses after this crime.

If you can help, you will probably get an award.

Cheers,
HG

Comments

• Well, if you believe that money was stolen, the best bet would be to contact the authorities.

But, with an IP you can use the ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) WHOIS search to find which ISP owns that IP. They would have logs of which clients had what IP during the time of the 'break-in'. You will definately need to get the authorities involved to get that information however.

http://www.arin.net/ Type in the IP address at the top right, and hit 'Search WHOIS'.
  • thanks dude thats awesome!

It wasnt me thankfully that got jacked, and I shoulda mentioned it is someone in Europe.

The theif has evidently been found out in the last 30 mins. IT gets complicated and the persons themselves are gonna have to figure it out.. YEah my advice was to also call the cops.
  • Dude, you run with some crazy people online :D