Ranking of hands Rant

What is the deal with always including 'royal flush' in the ranking of hands? It drives me crazy, it's like this mystical hand. Helloooo it's just a straight flush. We don't lay out the hands like this .....three of a kind, straight, broadway, flush....
I think it is more confusing for newbies to include it.
I know it is the BEST hand, but so what.(and don't give me that guff about it being the hardest hand to get, a bicycle straight flush is just as hard)
Anyway, that is my pet peeve for the day. Let the flaming begin :twisted:

Comments

• I have always thought the same thing. Then, when I wrote "Winning at Poker" in included it seperately. As I commented (book not in front of me): "By tradition it is listed seperately to salute it's special place as the best possible hand."
  • Well, Dave and I agree, and you are either with us, or against us! :P
  • I agree with you on this one too. Glad to find some people that have had the same thought actually. *sob* I felt so alone!

My other hand ranking pet peeve is "High Card" as a name of a hand. What's wrong with something a little more descriptive, like "Nothing"?

This reminds me of a super funny moment from a micro-stakes kitchen table game with lots of people who were drunk, beginners or both.

It's 5 card draw and Our Hero, a complete beginner, has been very quiet and is always carefully studying the hand rankings 53rd card. OH studies the card and draws 3. He studies the card again at the end of the hand, looks dejected and says, "Man, I think I've got a bad hand." He then shows down a ten-high and adds, completely seriously, "I don't even have a High Card".

Needless to say, an entire swig of beer came through my nose at high speed, and I was laughing for a good half hour.

And there's even humour on a different level here: What the heck was he doing in the hand drawing 3 cards? Drawing to a suited connector?

ScottyZ
  • and here i thought i was the only person that pissed off
    nice to see i'm not alone

:D