UB 10 Man Sit and Go's - $1.00 + $0.10

So after a few months of playing the free sit and go's I have started playing for real money for the first time ever....
The first game I came in 4th out of 6 and my second game I came in 2nd out of 10 (actaully won some money)....
But my last session was horrible. I played 4 times in a row and came in 5,6,7 and 10th (not in that order).

The players were way better and I got crushed. :banghead:

I am looking for some 10 man SNG strategy that can help me make it further than 5th and hopefully into the top 3 every game.

I feel like I play pretty well up until the blinds are at 50-100 and then it falls appart. I feel forced to push all in because I am short stacked....how can I build my chips up faster near the beginning???

please post feedback to the rookie !

Cheers :canada:

Comments

• and hopefully into the top 3 every game.

If you ever find a strategy that'll get you into the top 3 every single time, let me know.

Anyway, I think that SnG strategy has been discussed in depth in the past.. I think a search of past posts will turn up some great advice..

The one line answer is 'Tight until the blinds get to 100-200 and then play very aggressively because you are shortstacked'.
  • usually my self, im passive till the blinds get high....limping in any position w/ AK/AQ and so forth until blinds are worth stealing, and cold calling raises w/ those same cards, only raising w/ QQ,KK,or AA early into the sng

once the blinds are usually 50-100 i become agressive

im usually in the money 40% of the time, but that pretty much makes me break even overall....
  • how can I build my chips up faster near the beginning???

As the previous responses have mentioned, usually more emphasis should be placed on not losing chips than building up chips in the very early rounds of a SNG.

In other words, for the very early rounds (rounds 1 and 2 of a SNG and maybe round 3), very tight is very right.*

When the blinds (and possibly antes) get bigger, there is more incentive to get involved in pots, simply becuase there is more money out there initially. (TOP has an excellent discusssion of this pretty much right at the beginning of the book.) You should loosen up and become considerably more aggressive as the blinds increase. Stealing blinds and pots means something now, so it's worth trying more often.

Many players do the exact opposite of this in tournaments. Their intution is to throw chips around wildly when the blinds are small and pucker up their cheeks and play like Grandpa Rocky-Rock when the blinds increase. This basically amounts to taking unjustified risks to play in small pots, and missing opportunities to play for the big ones.

ScottyZ

*It can depend on how fast the blind structure is. Also, more experienced players in specific game textures may find excellent implied odds opportunities in the very early stages. So, it depends.
  • Pigga wrote:
    usually my self, im passive till the blinds get high....limping in any position w/ AK/AQ and so forth until blinds are worth stealing, and cold calling raises w/ those same cards, only raising w/ QQ,KK,or AA early into the sng

once the blinds are usually 50-100 i become agressive

im usually in the money 40% of the time, but that pretty much makes me break even overall....

Pretty much how I play SNG's as well and I've had similiar success.
  • Thanks for the advice kids !

I played very tight early and stole some pots in the later stages based on my tight image. I came in first and won $5 usd ! Big money.
    However, I did play this on a Saturday afternoon.....and I am wondering if you all think Saturday and Sunday has more people playing therefore a bigger chance of ending up with people who don't know much playing against you...and during the week its the hardcore pro's like you guys? what do you think?

Happy Camper :canada:
  • Sit and Gos on the weekend (I play them on Pokerstars $20-50) are often a completely different experience then a mid day weekday one.

Usually in the 9 people (guess 10 on UB) there will be 2-4 that are extremely weak players that vastly overplay hands like KQ and ace -low and low pocket pairs (ie: will call large all ins pre flop even if on first hand). Any type of flush draw even 23 on a board of AAKQ will call an all in of any size. Pot odds to these people means the chance they are smoking it rather then calculating them. Top pair with a 2 kicker or second pair with a top kicker get played like the nuts.

I do adjust my play a bit on the weekends. Hands like AK I shove a lot more all in pre flop regardless of the blind leveles because someone with ace lower or KQ / KJ is likely to call. My AK has lost to KQ a lot (always fun) but has of course beaten it even more. KK can't win on a weekend if an ace hits the board ;) . I very rarely cold bluff on weekends because there are a lot more calling stations.

The games are not completely chaotic, don't get me wrong. I just find that instead of the standard 1/2 weak players/maniacs/drunks there are usually 3-4 per sit and go and once in a while everyone seems crazy which makes it interesting to say the least :)
  • I think messing with thinking players is actually a fun part of SNG. While i won't risk all my chips i am more than happy to play fast and loose early in a SNG and make a point of advertising and showing my crappy hands.

I want to be pegged as a lunatic. That way i do get the action i want in the later rounds of the SNG. Then tighten up my play later before suddenly switching back to loose.
  • Chugs wrote:
    I think messing with thinking players is actually a fun part of SNG. While i won't risk all my chips i am more than happy to play fast and loose early in a SNG and make a point of advertising and showing my crappy hands.

I want to be pegged as a lunatic. That way i do get the action i want in the later rounds of the SNG. Then tighten up my play later before suddenly switching back to loose.

I see this type of behavior now and then usually early. Someone raises from 20 to 180 with J 6 off suit and when everyone folds he shows his hand. That's actually not the type of behavior I am talking about. That is pretty obvious posturing (which I agree works on some people to an extent, though mostly just makes the person doing this satisfied with themself until they get reraised ;) )

The type of play I am talking about is a more fundimentally weak level of play (as given in my examples above). Betting heavily or all in after the turn with a sold made hand against a flush draw into a person with the note "calls any bet any time with any flush draw" is more of the type of play I am talking about. You need to take a few more risks and be selectively very aggressive with these people knowing they will be willing to gamble as a big underdog (I call it embracing underdoghood syndrome). You will experience more bad beats on the weekend (part of the statistics of being in more all ins against weaker players with weak draw hands), but in the long run it can be very profitable.
  • Monteroy wrote:
    I see this type of behavior now and then usually early. Someone raises from 20 to 180 with J 6 off suit and when everyone folds he shows his hand. That's actually not the type of behavior I am talking about. That is pretty obvious posturing (which I agree works on some people to an extent, though mostly just makes the person doing this satisfied with themself until they get reraised ;) )

What i'm talking about is more of excessive limping trying to see almost every flop if you can do so cheaply. You'll likely find spots where you can chase draws and do so cheaply, but make people think you're a chaser and that in generaly your hand selection is poor. I'm not talking about pure steals, but winning 'bingo' hands wit two pair and even if you don't have to, stil showing it
  • Chugs wrote:
    What i'm talking about is more of excessive limping trying to see almost every flop if you can do so cheaply. You'll likely find spots where you can chase draws and do so cheaply, but make people think you're a chaser and that in generaly your hand selection is poor. I'm not talking about pure steals, but winning 'bingo' hands wit two pair and even if you don't have to, stil showing it

Oh, I absolutely agree with seeing more hands on the weekends. I especially like Ax and Kx suited if I can get in cheap early because there is a solid chance that you can beat a weak player on a lesser flush draw. Twice this past weekend my Ax suited saw a flop of A xx with the other two being in my suit and I shoved against someone who called with a lower flush draw and no pair that was essentially drawing dead.

Pure steals are harder on the weekend because of the higher number of calling stations and in fact one of the weaker plays I see by better players is that they continue to try to steal pots with nothing from people who will call all the way even with ace high or an underpair. This happens a lot more on the weekends.

It's fun to track the key hands on all your sit and gos because after a while you do notice a difference in how you win or lose on weekends vs weekdays. I have a higher % in the money on weekends but I also finish 7th -9th more often as well then (usually when an AK loses to a KQ all in pre flop type situation early in one for instance).

You do need to have more emotional control because some weekend days will be rough when luck runs bad. 9 days ago I lost 5 sit and gos in a row early on AK<KQ KK <A2 QQ< K 7 AK < A6 and KK<A 8 all were all ins pre flop fairly early in the sit and gos. I have never had a weekday mimic that type of day yet :)
  • It used to be that on Wednesdays after the WPT aired on the travel channel in the states, all the crazies would come out and starting playing at pacific.. I could actually see the trend in my stats.. I dont know when it's on anymore on american tv, so I dont know if it still holds true.