Bluffing online?

Hi, I have been playing online for a while and i find that it is very difficult to bluff. Examples -

Hole - a/q suited - raise to 2 bets in later position
called by sb, bb, original limper and original raiser.

Flop KK/8 rainbow

check, bet, I raise (representing set k's), then sb folds, BB calls, original raiser calls,

Turn 3, two spades showing

check, I raise, call, call.

river 7, no flush made

check check I raise, call call..... original better has 8's, other mucks.

Same thing with 3 or 4card flush where I have raise as much as possible then been called and showdown to top pair (not pockets).

I try not to play bad cards, typically High, or Majority, Im seeing the flop 30-35% in session.

Am I giving too much credit to players (maybe they don't even see the straight, flush or set possibilities)? Are the odds online different?

I see alot of runner runner draws miracles (usually they lose more then not) and I dont mind being beat by 7/3 offsuit after capping preflop with high pair and they catch a straight (well I mind but I remember they just paid for the last three hands too)

But I can seem to figure out calling stations, should I just never bluff? Do you bluff online?

Comments

• What limit are you playing?.. $.50 doesn't scare too many people out..regardless if it's the correct play or not.

In the hand you described I'd be inclined to see one more card with an 8, but then again..I'd probably only call with the trip kings on a drawless flop, then hit em on the turn. (i'm sure somebody will correct me on this ;) )

Of course, if one of our 3 villains has a king...how are you going to bluff them out? preflop raise, 3 callers w/ raises on all streets?...by the river I'd think highcard ace isn't holding up and you've given any hope of a draw or piece of the board odds to call.

I will generally only try a bluff against 1 or 2 opponents..
  • Yep, learned the .50c tables just dont pay! Too much like bingo

But I have moved up to the 1/2 or 2/4.

If you had an 8, and I bet into you on the flop and turn, are you going to stick around for the river?

If someone else had trip kings, great Im beat, but I have found that most times I can flush that out on the flop. I do have position and 99% of the players dont have the patience to slow bet that, even after I raise it then I get beat. Probably someone playing k/x suited and are afraid of the kicker, but would the stick around the preflop raise?

I am pretty sure no one had the kings in these situations, but its under poair calling that hurts me....

Any advice for those?..or am I playing it tooo aggressive?
  • Let that hand go after you raise the flop and still have 2 players. Most times that means you're done then and there and usually by a big margin. If someone had the king you're dead. Hit your ace and you could be in even deeper trouble. A/Q suited in late position is a very good hand pre-flop, but if the flop misses, your hand isn't that good any more. Let it go.

Hammer
  • If you're playing low-limit (say, $3-$6 or below), this is generally a hand to fold on the flop.

It isn't the least bit surprising that you got called down by an 8 here.
    But I can seem to figure out calling stations...

What's there to figure out about calling stations? They call. In extreme cases, with *weird* holdings.
    ...should I just never bluff [against calling stations]?

Yep. I don't see how bluffing can be correct against a player who you know will call.

Betting your mediocre (and, of course, good) hands for value, not bluffing, will get you the money against calling stations.

(In low-limit, Ace-high is not normally a good enough post-flop hand to be called mediocre.)

ScottyZ
  • ROFL . .I play the 25/50 cent tables and if you represent kings then some body will call you all the way to the finish and end up with the three kings but were afraid to bet em!!!!!!!!
  • Yep, learned the .50c tables just dont pay! Too much like bingo

But I have moved up to the 1/2 or 2/4.

:rolleyes:

If you think the play at 1/2 is any different from .50/1 you will be in for a surprise.

I think I'm just going to start quoting Doyle Brunson when I see statements like this.. If you can't beat a table full of calling stations, you shouldn't be playing poker.
  • There are some extreme calling station type players in NL as well. People call huge bets and even all ins with an underpair (ie: 44 with a A Q 7 board) or with an ace high.

While it is not hard to figure out that these are not the strongest players in the world there are still times when usually decent players will try to buy a pot from these guys when their draw misses and they get very angry at the horrible play of the calling station when they call with ace high and beat them. Seems to me bluffing into a calling station with a non hand is asking to lose a chunk of money, so I would agree to wait until you have the hand and have them pay you off. Calling stations are a great source of income as long as you don't get too tricky or greedy ;)
  • back in your example again... you basically made Mr 8 think "maybe he has it"... and just put him into pot minimizing mode..he's going to check call the whole way...I might on that hand too... there's only 2 kings left...who's to say you have one.
  • look your a pre-flop raiser, the flop misses you. fine fire one more bullet at the pot but i hate to tell you, if two people are still around at this point. you have NO shot at this pot, unless you hit a miracle card.

look i've done it a few times against some players i've identified as complete bluffers who will bet draws etc... hard and fold if they miss them, but if one more person is also in the pot, i say good day and look for another chance to take his money.

at this point the other guy may think you have it, and still call you down. it's not like cause you check raise him for 0.50 more at the end he's going to say fine you beat me, i fold.
  • and..as somebody else mentioned.. a queen or ace could hit and really juice up your second-best hand....

win your pots, win big pots...don't try to win every pot
  • Redington wrote:
    Any advice for those?..or am I playing it tooo aggressive?

There's an easy way to tell if you're bluffing too much. For a few sessions, just keep track of how much money you put in the middle on bluffs, and how much money you win from it. At the end of the sessions, total this up, and see how much your bluffing has made or cost you. If it's losing you a lot of money, chances are you're bluffing too much.