Range of hands

I was handcuffed in a few instances at the satellite game on Saturday night and it caused me to get into a corner fairly early. Anyway I am questioning a couple instances where I could and probably should have acted differently.

-you are in an aggressive tournament with about 8 people at the table
-blinds are 100/200 and you have 1600 left (started with 3k)
-you are on the button and there is a dead small
-everyone folds to you
-BB has 6k~8k in chips and has seen a decent number of flops thus far but has proven tight and honest to a good bet

What range of cards do you push with here? For me I am going to push with most hands here. But will you push with any two cards?

I looked down at 6 2 offsuit and folded reluctantly (to gasps and sighs from around the table). As it was pointed out to me by another member that should have been an auto-push no matter what hand I had.

What would you do?

Comments

• You're on the button, and you have no antes... you have 5 hands before you have to pay another blind - odds are you're going to pick up something better than 6-2 o...

Mark
  • ATC while you still have fold equity along with a tight BB.
  • I'm with DrTyore. Although your range of hands in this situation is definitely widened, 62o is still a muckable hand.
  • I was just checking out this ebook and noticed a chart about pocket card winning odds.

62o is ranked 163 out of 169 hands. 4.72% hands won.

To put it in perspective..... :ad:ac is #1 31% and :7d:2c is #169 4.04%
  • I will make life easy for you:
    http://members.cox.net/wastrel333/Pushbot%20Charts1.pdf

If you havent seen one of these before it is a standard pushbot chart.

It basically gives you info on the most profitable +Cev moves given your hand and position. Keep in mind this is not $ev.

And yes, at this point (M5) you are making a profitable shove.
  • I disagree here. The button has proved to likely be reasonable competent, and can probably reason out that you will push any two cards here. Which means conversely he can add whats in the pot, do the math and probably call with any two. 6-2 off suite in an obvious any two cards spot is in the muck. Push something that at least has a better chance of catching lightning in a bottle.
  • DonkJedi wrote: »
    I disagree here. The button has proved to likely be reasonable competent, and can probably reason out that you will push any two cards here. Which means conversely he can add whats in the pot, do the math and probably call with any two. 6-2 off suite in an obvious any two cards spot is in the muck. Push something that at least has a better chance of catching lightning in a bottle.

Hero is the button here. It has been folded to him. He is facing a tight BB. There is no SB.

There is 200 in the pot. Hero is pushing 1600. This is not an auto call by any means by the BB - hero still has fold equity here.

Change your opinion?

With an M of 5 I think this is an ATC situation against even a loose villain, let alone a TAG.
  • yes, i do believe it does. my apologies. misread the original post in my haste. had the hero been shorter then my post makes marginally more sense.
  • couple of factors to consider:
    - it is a satellite. single payout? or heavily weighted towards 1st prize? so some of the standard tournament strategies don't necessarily apply here. i'm wondering if ICM can be used or is it invalid? i think you really only care about +cev moves here and can ignore the $ev considerations.
    - range of hands he will call you with. he has 30xbb. you say he is tightish. how does his stack compare to others? is he smart enough to know you will be pushing with any 2? these kind of things impact his calling range and make a big difference on whether this is +cev or not.

in favour of pushing, you have only 1 guy to get through, his stack is not huge and he likely has a narrower calling range than he should in this situation. you also have a high degree of urgency to pick up chips. on the negative side, your hand bloz.

as long as he calls < 25% of the time, this looks +cev. i think we can agree this should be the case?

on balance, i'd say push.
  • Even on a loose calling range it is still +Cev at M5.

22+ A2s+ A2o+ KTs+ KJo+ QJs QJo JTs
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    - it is a satellite. single payout? or heavily weighted towards 1st prize? so some of the standard tournament strategies don't necessarily apply here. i'm wondering if ICM can be used or is it invalid? i think you really only care about +cev moves here and can ignore the $ev considerations.
    :
    on balance, i'd say push.
    The prize structure of my rake-free $160 satellite was basically something like: $1,240+ Step Q Fallsview seat for 1st place, $460+ Step 2 seat for 2nd place, and ~$170 Step A seat for 3rd place. ICM is not invalid and I will never ignore $EV considerations.

I would have pushed with the worst heads-up hand possible - 2-3! This is how I got eliminated from the first and possibly last WPT rake-free satellite. I got raised by 2-3 and while I made the correct call on the big blind as a 2-to-1 favourite, I was outdrawn and my opponent went on to win the $1,240+ first prize.

If there is anybody left that has a SERIOUS interest in playing a WPT rake-free satellite this Sunday (or another day), let PIRANHA (Georgetown) or The_Game (Mississauga) know ASAP. Fallsview finally had its first busy weekend of raked satellites, where more sharks are showng up. Five friends who didn't sign up for the rake-free satellite were quickly eliminated from the Fallsview turbos, and wasted over $2,000. On Saturday night when I sat down for the final $1,240 satellite, the table was full of WSOP, WPT and Ultimate Poker Challenge faces I recognized. Since I could only see sharks and no :fish: in this table, this so-called "satellite king" realized how highly -EV it was to stay so I ran away like a little girl instead of getting raped by the professionals and $860 rake. :-[
  • I played the 460 on Friday and finished 4th. Trip report to follow.

Cliff notes:

Structure is similar to a PS turbo SNG. I recommend playing high volumes of those to understand ranges and timing with pushes.

I found my competition to be similar of a 16.00 SNG on PS. One or two decent players but still lacked a lot of metagame and fundamental end game strategies to be successful.

Players count themself out before the blinds become a factor. I was down to 500 chips at 50/100 and clawed my way back. (I was quite surprised no big stack called my shoves just to get rid of me)

Overall I think not counting the rake, the structure was something I was used to as online SNGs progress this way and I found no problems navigating. Just can't do anything when raises get called OOP with deuces and my Ks get cracked...lol.

This is my first serious attempt to qualify so I am quickly be noted as a regular there (which is -ev for me :()