Going with the odds

In SitnGo's is it still wrong to make folds even when odds dictate a call? Heres an example i was just playing today i flop an openeded Straight draw theres 1000 in the pot, one guy pushes for 1000 more.. i have 2k left. So im getting 2-1 and hes all in therefore making it mathematically correct to call but then a loss would leave me with 1k left so i fold because i figure ill have better chances later on. Is a fold like this wrong for right? Should you always play for the odds or go with what you figure is reasonable?

Comments

• Honestly this isn't detailed enough.
    what's your hand, what was the betting like?
    Do you have any other outs if you miss your straight, etc.

post a hand history

edit:

And no... you need more than pot odds.
    You got 72o on the BB and everyone goes all in on the first hand, do you call simply cuz the pot odds are crazy ?
  • Johnith wrote: »
    In SitnGo's is it still wrong to make folds even when odds dictate a call? Heres an example i was just playing today i flop an openeded Straight draw theres 1000 in the pot, one guy pushes for 1000 more.. i have 2k left. So im getting 2-1 and hes all in therefore making it mathematically correct to call

Did you mean OESFD?
  • Unless you think you think you have outs other than your OESD outs - you are not getting the pot odds here.
  • I made a test for fun...

Board: 7d Tc Ad
    Dead:
    equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 67.864% 67.63% 00.23% 127211 440.50 { 77+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
    Hand 1: 32.136% 31.90% 00.23% 60008 440.50 { 9h8s }

• "You got 72o on the BB and everyone goes all in on the first hand, do you call simply cuz the pot odds are crazy ?"

Funny enough, a friend of mine did this during a home game. Except instead of 27o it was 25o. He turned the straight knocking out 3 players in one hand. His explanation: "I figured everybody was playing high cards so mine were live"

Anyway, I would probably make this fold as well and hope for a better opportunity.
    In SitnGo's is it still wrong to make folds even when odds dictate a call? Heres an example i was just playing today i flop an openeded Straight draw theres 1000 in the pot, one guy pushes for 1000 more.. i have 2k left. So im getting 2-1 and hes all in therefore making it mathematically correct to call but then a loss would leave me with 1k left so i fold because i figure ill have better chances later on. Is a fold like this wrong for right? Should you always play for the odds or go with what you figure is reasonable?
    In a cash game, you always call with the odds.

However, tournament poker is different. You need to take into account the payout structure. This creates a rather odd phenomenon where the chips you lose are more valuable than the chips you win. There are also a plethora of other factors to consider. For example, if you are on the bubble and have more than 10 times the number of chips as the short stack who went all in, then you are probably right to call against the odds just for the opportunity to knock him out.

You can even find spots to lay down AA preflop in tournament poker. So yes, there are times that giving up good odds makes monetary sense.
    therefore making it mathematically correct to call

Incorrect, you are not getting pot odds to call with 8 outs and 2:1 odds

Johnith wrote: »
    Should you always play for the odds or go with what you figure is reasonable?

In a SNG, I would say odds are important but there are always other things to consider.

In this case I fold, not unless you think this guy is on a complete bluff and you happen to be ahead at this point. Maybe he understands how to control the pot and is making this play to give you incorrect odds to call?
  • You can even find spots to lay down AA preflop in tournament poker. So yes, there are times that giving up good odds makes monetary sense.

WTF?!?!? I HOPE you are talking about satellites
  • westside8 wrote: »
    WTF?!?!? I HOPE you are talking about satellites

lol
    I'd really like to see the guy who folds AA preflop to make the bubble of a normal MTT...

OMG 1.5 TIME MY BUYIN, TAKE THAT AA!!!
  • InsaneGuy wrote: »
    lol
    I'd really like to see the guy who folds AA preflop to make the bubble of a normal MTT...

OMG 1.5 TIME MY BUYIN, TAKE THAT AA!!!

Call me bubble boy
    because i'm sick of been bubble boy, i learn to lay that down when there one guy gonna go bust soon.
    in a 45man SNG, I hate always make it to final table and not get paid.

regarding pot odd
    this is more for cash game
    tournment is mroe of decision making with good odds.
    2-1 is not enough to chase OESD.
    i think OESD need 4-1
  • Call me bubble boy
    because i'm sick of been bubble boy, i learn to lay that down when there one guy gonna go bust soon.
    in a 45man SNG, I hate always make it to final table and not get paid.

regarding pot odd
    this is more for cash game
    tournment is mroe of decision making with good odds.
    2-1 is not enough to chase OESD.
    i think OESD need 4-1

Depends what you are up against...
  • "You can even find spots to lay down AA preflop in tournament poker."

Are we talking pre-flop? If so, you mind embellishing on that statement a little bit?

Are we talking pre-flop? If so, you mind embellishing on that statement a little bit?

Theres your answer

Here I use an example where folding all hands including AA is the right play.

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f70/biggest-mistakes-players-make-16788/#post160121
  • Very good point. Thanks for that link pantsonfire.

"Theres your answer"

lol, sorry about that. Not sure how i missed that.