5/5 nl - easy push?

std loose 5/5 game at our favourite poker 'pit'.

UTG makes it 25. he is very LAG, likes to show his bluffs. his stack has been a yo-yo up to 1200 and down to 400 right now after calling all-in with the nuts against another guy's nuts with freeroll. (not a great example of his LAGiness but he could be a bit on tilt.)

i'm in MP with TT. i raise to 100 with 600 behind.

mediocre player in LP calls all-in with 95. he is on his 3rd or 4th buyin at this point.

back to UTG LAG. he does not look happy. says it is his loosest call ever and tosses in 75 more.

main pot 285. side pot 10. flop comes A22 with 2 hearts. UTG leads for 100 with about 200 back.

raise? call? fold?

Comments

• Push. He's representing the A on the flop. You're only playing for a side pot here, so why not bump it up? If he's as LAG as you claim, you can get it back from him later on. Kiss the main pot good bye though (thinking AKs here).
  • Did you catch any tells on him after the flop? My first thought was something like a smaller PP, but given what he said it could be anything or a trap. I don't see why he would bet that flop though, because if you fold he still has to beat the other player. At best he is winning a tiny sidepot unless he has a decent hand.
  • Beware the loose player who talks about making loose calls.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're way behind here.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Beware the loose player who talks about making loose calls.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're way behind here.

Half expect it, but he's only got $200 back. I would risk it here and push him in, and if he does have it, outplay him later on. OP stated he was up and down all night, you can pick another spot to get your money back.
  • 20 x bb w pocket pair... were you hoping the short stack would push? I don't think the LAG is going anywhere if you push. His comments might be an indication of a decent starting hand as Wetts indicated. How has he been playing aces out of position in previous hands?

don't tell me he called with 25suited?
  • The more I look at this hand - the more I really like the villains line here.

That is - if villain is solid LAG rather than soon-to-be-busto LAG.

Although it may be transparent to experienced players it seems like a typical LAG play with a big hand OOP.

Step 1: standard raise with big hand. Most crazy LAGs will not adjust their intial raise sizing if they have big hands.
    Step 2: standard call with big hand stating "loose call" "I'll donate" etc.
    Step 3: lead the flop. If you know your style - you know nobody is giving you credit for a hand.

Given the stack sizes here, it seems like a perfect position to make this play. I would say more than half of the hero's are shoving here.

Either that - or he had cock soup and I'm out to lunch.
  • sticky situation
    he does not have enough stack size for you to make a play. he prob know that.
    for $100 dollar lead could be a trap, or a cheap bet to see if you have A or not.
    he could have A or 2 which you are beat unless you hit a T.
    or
    he could have PP that may or may not have you beat.
    i did flat call here, and see what he does on the turn.
    that board is so DRY, you eighter have the A or no.
    so any PP (even KK) or SC he call you with, could of give up on the turn. since flop call indicate Big Ace.
    i'm not willing to give up this pot for $100, my hand could still be good
    or able to push him off the turn.
  • fold... no reason for the guy to be leading out without a big hand in that spot and if for some reason he is there will be lots of good spots to get it in good against this guy in the future
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    fold... no reason for the guy to be leading out without a big hand in that spot and if for some reason he is there will be lots of good spots to get it in good against this guy in the future

if he really have a strong hand A or 2
    why not checkraise the flop
    pkrfce9 definely would be this.
    if pkrfce9 check behine, he still have the turn to lead out (make it like, since you miss, i'll take it)
  • as much as the line makes very little sense with a strong hand all you can beat is a bluff and there is pretty much no reason to bluff into what is basically a dry side pot on that flop... the all in player has a really tight range and id say there is almost no chance that TT is ahead of the all in player after the A come on the flop
  • i had a hard time putting this guy on any kind of hand. i doubted very much he was ahead of me PF. when he called, i figured he had some kind of small-mid PP, suited connector, suited Ace, 2 paint. his range was wide and i think he mainly called because of the dead money the other guy put in (i.e. we were both obv way ahead of his range)

so his lead out on the flop says either "i have an Ace or a two and i'm hoping you're way behind and will pay me off" or "i doubt you have an Ace or two so you won't call me and i'd like to go heads up against the donkey because i think at showdown my hand wins".

hard to decide which one was correct. i'm either way ahead or way behind. if i jam now, he's getting 3.5:1 on his last 200. good enough to call with any kind of draw and bad enough to fold a worse hand. i doubt he's ever folding a 2 or A here.

i opt to call in position and see what he does on the turn. turn comes another A. board reads A22A with 2 hearts. my opponent chuckles and checks. do i push now?
  • lol he called you with 27o
  • If it is the typical LAG that we play against on Friday nights, then I would put TT as ahead of his likely range and I would have raised all-in on the flop. After his turn check, it is even more likely that I am ahead and would go all-in. If I am wrong, I will go broke then ask pkrfce9 to stake me. ;)
    pkrfce9 wrote: »
    turn comes another A. board reads A22A with 2 hearts. my opponent chuckles and checks. do i push now?
  • Would have much rather pushed or fold on the flop instead of call...figure out where you are in the hand?

If he does have it why would he check it...strange move. I would opt to check behind and hope the river drops another A or a 10.
  • Since you called the flop, that second A shouldn't bother you. The way he's acting/betting sounds like a trap. You could try just betting $50 into him and see what he does, sort of a probing bet that looks more like a value bet with the ace.
  • Graham wrote: »
    Since you called the flop, that second A shouldn't bother you. The way he's acting/betting sounds like a trap. You could try just betting $50 into him and see what he does, sort of a probing bet that looks more like a value bet with the ace.
    lol
    $50 into a $500 pot
    i would only do that, if you are intend to call a shovel
    this is more like bluff catcher line.
  • Graham wrote: »
    Since you called the flop, that second A shouldn't bother you. The way he's acting/betting sounds like a trap. You could try just betting $50 into him and see what he does, sort of a probing bet that looks more like a value bet with the ace.

I agree and disagree with this.

I still think your behind here, but your call indicates you read yourself to be ahead. Trust your read. Since the A probably didnt help in that case - you might as well throw the rest in.

I disagree with the min-ish bet. Villain's not going anywhere - and youre not folding if he shoves.

If you ended up checking behind I'm pretty sure you guys checked the river down as well (Unless the A or 10 came).
  • you really think there is value in shoving the turn? will he actually call with a worse hand? by calling the flop and shoving the turn you are over representing your hand... your hand is really just a bluff catcher that you want to get to showdown as cheaply as possible unless for some reason this guy is bad enough to call off with 66 or something.

Again I see no reason for this player to be betting the flop with a worse hand than TT... a short stack called off his stack after a raise and a reraise... unless this guy is absolutely terrible his range is really tight and is ahead of TT and with the A on the flop you are pretty much dead against his range. There is essentially a dry side pot and a guy who raised and called a reraise leads out on a A22 flop... how can this ever be a bluff?
    you really think there is value in shoving the turn?
    i think this is the key point here. what hands are calling any kind of bet here. and with a 500 pot, i don't think i can really bet less than the 200 or so he has left. (if i bet 100, he *might* call with a 2 but otherwise, only an Ace stays in here, i think)

my thought was, if he has an Ace, he's at least calling any bet i make here. i strongly doubted he had an Ace since he checked here but he could be trying some kind of trap. if he is on some kind of draw, i'm not sure he keeps drawing against a likely FH. but if i check, it may induce some kind of bluff on the river (or it could be a value bet...)

so i checked. the river was a T. so now i'm ahead of a strangely played KK, QQ or JJ as well as some kind of hand with a 2. i strongly doubt he holds any of those hands, though. he bets 100 with about 100 behind. i can't see myself folding here. call or push?
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    so i checked. the river was a T. so now i'm ahead of a strangely played KK, QQ or JJ as well as some kind of hand with a 2. i strongly doubt he holds any of those hands, though. he bets 100 with about 100 behind. i can't see myself folding here. call or push?

You catch your miracle card and get a bet in front of you, AND ask whats your next move? What's he holding now that could scare you...22? Make sense I guess, but I'm not calling here without getting everything he has put into the pot. PUSH.

Your gut told you your were ahead... But, if you do push, he's really only calling with JJ-KK or maybe the 2. I would probably think he doesn't have JJ-KK based on his comments, and think he may have the 2, but possibly the Ace. Since you really only beat 1 of these hands the safest play is probably a call, but if you have him on the duece, then push. Very interesting hand though, great post!
    call or push?
    Based on your reads, it's an easy push. If it's a set-up hand, then you top up to have your opponents covered. On our regular Friday game, I was targetting the ATM in the table who kept doubling up through me then he kept donating what should have been my chips to the rest of the table:

- I pushed him all-in and was a 75% favourite before the turn when he sucked out to double up.
    - He had AA when I got AJ and the board was Jack-high. :(
    - I was an 84% favourite with KK against his JT when he turned me.
    - I raised preflop with AK and he called with J9 and won.
    - He re-raised all-in preflop with A9 and I called with AK, and he got his 3-outer to double up through me again.

I was in for over $1K but eventually got it all back when my better hands actually held up to win big pots: 99, KK, and AA twice.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    - I pushed him all-in and was a 75% favourite before the turn when he sucked out to double up.
    - He re-raised all-in preflop with A9 and I called with AK, and he got his 3-outer to double up through me again.

I was in for over $1K...
    WHO was the ATM? lol

ok, i pushed, figuring to only be called by A, possibly a 2. he tossed his hand face up into the muck: Qh9h. not exactly what i was expecting but the flop bet made some sense to me now. i guess he was not expecting to win the main pot but hoped to get the 210 in the side pot. i think he should have pushed here.

i turned to the all-in donkey, ready to get the bad news on the main pot but he turned over K8o. in this one case, K8 NOT make muhhhhhhhhhney.

ok, i pushed, figuring to only be called by A, possibly a 2.

why would you push if you think you are only getting called by a better hand? how often do you think he actually has a 2 here?

wow these guys in this hand are bad... against anyone with 1/5th of a brain i would say you played it bad too but clearly these guys dont fall into that category so i think calling the flop bet, checking back the turn and calling the river is the best line against this type of player. I also wouldnt call this guy a LAG... i would call him a spew monkey.
  • Welcome to the fish tanks that pkrfce9 and I play in. While poker theory may say not to bet a hand that will only be called by a better hand, we play the playa and calling stations call with horrible hands that should have been folded preflop, but they keep betting/calling on the flop, turn and river! After losing the big pot, the sore loser will berate me (or other winner) as beng a donkey or "bird."
    _obv_ wrote: »
    why would you push if you think you are only getting called by a better hand? how often do you think he actually has a 2 here?

wow these guys in this hand are bad... against anyone with 1/5th of a brain i would say you played it bad too but clearly these guys dont fall into that category so i think calling the flop bet, checking back the turn and calling the river is the best line against this type of player. I also wouldnt call this guy a LAG... i would call him a spew monkey.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Based on your reads, it's an easy push. If it's a set-up hand, then you top up to have your opponents covered. On our regular Friday game, I was targetting the ATM in the table who kept doubling up through me then he kept donating what should have been my chips to the rest of the table:

I was in for over $1K but eventually got it all back when my better hands actually held up to win big pots: 99, KK, and AA twice.

you should try 46off, etc. once in a while just to live a little.
  • I'm pretty sure I would have pushed on the flop. My dream scenario would have been for him to fold KK face up with a complete look of disgust.

I obviously don't have the reads but I would think a push on the flop would get JJ-KK lay down thinking they only had two outs and didn't have the calling odds to beat a big A. You might get 99-66 to call which would also be good.

Again without reads, I find lead bets like UTG in this case to be feeler bets representing a big A by someone who realizes his underpair could be in big trouble.

As played, would have been a bummer if a Q popped up, eh?

..so i think calling the flop bet, checking back the turn and calling the river is the best line against this type of player.

cosign

pushing the river is ridiculous.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    you should try 46off, etc. once in a while just to live a little.
    Thanks for the coaching. I played 3-8 at Fallsview this week, chased on the flop, got raised on the turn, made a river bet that the poker books say will only be called by a better hand, but got called by a worse hand and I took down the $500 pot. Last week at Fallsview, the only player with a bigger stack than mine hadn't read the forum thread about folding AA preflop, so he called my all-in reraise, then I cracked his AA with quads and won the $1,000+ pot. :D
  • Honestly I read some of the posts and I found your Pocket 10's were a hard hand to play, especailly with the amount of money in the pot, "AFTER" the flop. A lot of things had to play into perspective with regards to playing your hand.

To be honest Its hard to fold the tens unless your certain he has the ACe . The only way to take down this flop is by making the proper read that is stongly dependant on UTG betting patterns and his style of play. Was he the type of player that called pre-flop and took down pots on the flop!! or was he a callin station that played any array of two cards and went all the way to the river to make a hand?? Plus you had the other guy "who was all-in" that would have made me think of the scenario a little bit more (Do you recall the hands that the guy with $95 went all in with, which made him bust and rebuy constantly, what type of reaction was he portraying when he saw the flop). Rest assure that you got lucky that both those donkeys didnt have an ACE !!! As you can see going over the top on the flop, or betting the turn after the check would have made your life easier, since you would know EXACTLY where you stand!!!

p.s cant wait to go to fallsview on the weekend after reading these posts. ;) gl to all except against me lol