Dead Money

This is the first time I've busted out in level to in a while. I typically have $(1500 - blinds paid) at this point. 8) Against a typical opponent, I'd fold to the re-raise. However, I had a strong read that this guy typically has nothing when betting like this.

This isn't merely a bad beat story, but, on the surface, possibly questionable tournament tactics. The alternative is folding and waiting for a better spot (or just being patient and at least sliding into the money).

So why put my chips at risk in this particular case? Because the chip leader is *also* a horrible player. I figure I have a huge probability of winning the tournament if I win this hand.

Comments?

Maybe for the purpose of analysis, suppose you *know* your opponent has 2 undercards. And the payout structure for those who might not know is

1st $22.50
2nd $13.50
3rd $9

One thing I did like was that he *thought* (or at least paused) for quite a bit before calling the re-raise. :)

ScottyZ

PokerStars Game #328248435: Tournament #1166609, Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2004/03/10 - 19:27:06 (ET)
Table '1166609 1' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Vinnybotz (3550 in chips)
Seat 2: ttt54321 (6015 in chips)
Seat 5: coryg27 (1065 in chips)
Seat 9: ScottyZ (2870 in chips)
ttt54321: posts small blind 15
coryg27: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScottyZ [As Qc]
ScottyZ: raises 60 to 90
Vinnybotz: raises 540 to 630
ttt54321: folds
coryg27: folds
ScottyZ: raises 2240 to 2870 and is all-in
Vinnybotz: calls 2240
*** FLOP *** [2c 7h 8h]
Vinnybotz said, "how u do it"
*** TURN *** [2c 7h 8h] [5d]
*** RIVER *** [2c 7h 8h 5d] [2d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ScottyZ: shows [As Qc] (a pair of Deuces)
Vinnybotz: shows [2s 3h] (three of a kind, Deuces)
Vinnybotz collected 5785 from pot
Vinnybotz said, "ty"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5785 | Rake 0
Board [2c 7h 8h 5d 2d]
Seat 1: Vinnybotz (button) showed [2s 3h] and won (5785) with three of a kind, Deuces
Seat 2: ttt54321 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: coryg27 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: ScottyZ showed [As Qc] and lost with a pair of Deuces

Comments

• That is a bad beat...ouch...I really hate the luck aspect of this game, but unfortunately it's there...who in there right mind would call 2-3o all-in???

I've had a few beats like that, people who have no business being in a pot win because they got lucky. Was this a real money cash game or tourny or play money?
  • Real money $5 Sit n Go tournament, so the chip amounts are just tournament chips of course. :)

ScottyZ
  • I love the guy saying "ty" at the end. That is f-in hilarious! :twisted: (in a bad way though)
  • Yeah, it's kind of weird when players give a 'ty' for no reason (as opposed to the typical 'nh' 'ty' exchange) but this player seemed to do that every time he won a hand so I don't think that was directed at me.

I almost said something like

"no, tY for playing so bad"

but I decided not to.

*sigh*

I really liked his "how u do it" comment immediately after he clearly demonstrates that he does *not* know how to do it (play poker that is).

But like I've always said, those kind of plays are where the money is for me. Ultimately, I try to stay focussed on making the right plays.

Try to.

8)

ScottyZ
  • I figure guys like that say "Ty" to try and get under your skin as in "thanks for doubling me up chump"

makes me want to hurt them......badly.
  • yeah, there is no real cause to say 'ty' when you win a hand unless someone has congratulated you first. I would take that pretty badly myself :twisted:
  • TIIIIIILT! :x
  • Everytime someone does that, I open up his notes window and enter "Huge Jackass, must take his money"
  • Out of curiosity, how bad of a dog is 23o to AQo? If I can recall my readings correctly, it's something like a 9-1 shot, isn't it?
  • You're about a 2-to-1 dog when you have two undercards. (to a non-pair)

Here are the exact odds:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=240304

ScottyZ
  • Wicked! Thanks scotty...didn't know there was a poker calculator. That's hotness.
  • that is VERY helpful scott!
    thank you for that

anything like this exist for offline use?
  • I believe there is also something called "Poker Stove" which runs offline. Try

http://www.pokerstove.com/

ScottyZ