Playing 4 tables at once?

I know various people play four tables at once. Is this usually a case of switching between windows or having a really high resolution and keeping the four games going.

Also do people find it difficult to concentrate on that many games.

I was watching all_aces play 4 tables of 30/60 on pokerstars ... and was trying to comprehend the mental exhastion that may be involved

Comments

• I tried 2 tables at party during that monster jackpot a week or so ago. One guy who was on 4 tables said 2 monitors makes it easier.

From my checkered past, I was able to play an entire game of chess once with my back to the board. I won, but you know...only one opponent!
    I've seen a strong chess guy playing multiple boards blindfolded. Chess GMs can play dozens of boards at once in a simul. Ok I'll stop with the chess - poker analogy but there is some amount of pattern recognition in both.

With experience, I believe 4 boards is possible. "Laptop" Larssen (sp?) on the WPT episode last week supposedly plays 7 tables at once. Two pcs and a girlfriend's account would do it.
  • i've tried 3 tables at once too hard to concentrate especially when you get heads up. and playing at 2 different sites
  • I don't have much of a problem playing 4 tables... the hardest part is knowing whether you're 'up' or 'down' lol. I check the cashier often to see where I'm at.

Then again, I have notes on most of my competition and I've played with them enough to not feel the need to consult them very often. So, figuring out who the bluffers, the calling stations, and the weak-tight players are isn't a big factor. The biggest factor in general, IMO, is aggression. Lots and lots of it. Keep a good aggressive game going on all 4 screens... don't let yourself become a robot on any of them. I like 3-betting preflop a lot in those games.

I haven't clicked on the wrong button yet either... that does take some getting used to. I have to use the 'advance' buttons a lot. Basically, it's been a really good weekend, there are a lot of weak players in those games right now. Otherwise, I wouldn't normally play 4... two is my usual style. I tile the 4 screens, and I'm constantly switching between them to try and get ahead of the game, so to speak. The only time I get bogged down is if I'm in two BIG hands at the same time, that require a degree of judgement (ie: do I call with ace high against this player in this pot, etc...)

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • I am comfortable playing 2 at once, I don't think I have the skill or experience to play more than that.

all_aces: have you every played more than one type of poker when playing multiple tables (eg: limit ring and a no limit sit n' go)?

djw
  • I find it's fine to play a couple tables. I've never tried 4 though. 90% of the time, it's totally fine, but every once in a while, you're up on both tables at the same time, and they start beeping at you, forcing you to rush your decision.

As an aside, don't do it when you're tired either. I was playing a NL SnG, and a regular table at the same time. I was hoping for a club flush on the SNG, and flopped 3 clubs at the regular table. Without thinking, I made a large raise (having absoultely nothing, not even a pair). Luckily everyone folded after me, and I got the pot. You definitely want to be sharp when playing more than one table... :redface:
  • i like 3 tables

ub miniview makes it easy if you play there..but i dont much
  • How do you multi table players find this affects your success? Is it a case of trading off a higher rate of return for multiple, slightly lower rates of return? I've always wanted to try this but they don't allow you to do it where I play.
  • I find I cannot contcentrate that well if im playing more than 2 tables.....i like to make lots of notes on players while im playing so i frequently request hand histories if they muck at showdown in case i play against the same people again...
  • Multi table play is the way to go if you plan on making good money off the online games. Any 21" monitor can be set to accept 4 seperate tables with NO overlap. Each of the 4 corners of the screen will perfectly fit a different table. I have some buddies who prop online poker and insist that a 21" is needed to be successful.
    The next possibility is to go to Future Shop and buy an adapter which allows for 2 monitors to run from the same CPU. The best multitaskers are then able to play a maximum of 8 tables at once, all on the same account. Of course many of the sites dont allow for 8 tables at once, but with a few sites this is possible. When you have side by side monitors, if they're both 21" you can see all 8 full table images at once. Also the mouse cursor then can get lost on one monitor, you will need to shoot the cursor way to the other side to get it onto the other screen, this talkes some practice but once learned is very profitable. Ultimatebet is a site where you can play many many tables at once, and for this reason ultimatebet has made a lot of people rich.
    "Laptop Larsson" (Daniel Larsson, aka Krullis on UB, Looptroop at stars) has been a prop on UB for a few years now and all the hands he has been able to get under his belt have, at the age of 21, turned him into a seasoned top player with a lot of experience. He is not the only kid who got enough experience through ultimatebet. This is not in the least coincidence.
    The amount of hands these guys can play on ultimatebet allows them to be who I feel are the players who play the most hands of anybody, anywhere.
    This could be why the "The (former) Crew" of Dutch Boyd, Bret Jungblut and Scotty Fischman have made such an impact this year to poker.
    All 3 of these kids were or are still a part of the UB props, they have been playing a thousand or more hands a day online there for close to two years each, and it has started paying off for them in the big games and big tournaments all around the World.
    If you like poker and winning as much as I do, a 21" is where to start, a second one will be paid for in no time, then its a matter of practicing all the tables at once.

Kev
  • i was wondering if people play limit, if a 21" touch screen might be a good way to go.

that way you can just tap the buttons all over the screen and don't need to keep using the mouse.
  • Hork42 wrote:

there retail store is right across the road from my office. they had one on clearance a few days ago in case anyone is looking.

call, they still may have it.
  • all_aces: have you every played more than one type of poker when playing multiple tables (eg: limit ring and a no limit sit n' go)?

Yes, yesterday I was playing 2 30/60 games for the first half of the $215 NL tourney. I closed them when I got to the money spots. I was a bit worried about being distracted from the tournament, but I think I stole/bluffed as often as I normally do.

I think I might have a mild case of ADD or something. :) I don't find it hard to play multiple tables; in fact, it keeps me on my toes. I guess all it takes is practice, like anything.
    How do you multi table players find this affects your success? Is it a case of trading off a higher rate of return for multiple, slightly lower rates of return?
    In my experience, no. When I first started doing it, then that was probably the case, but lately I find that I can play 4 solid aggressive games of poker at the same time. While this means I win 4 times the number of pots in a given period of time, it also means I lose 4 times as many. Overall, though, I win a bit more than I lose, so the ratio works well. I've really been noticing a 'two steps forward, one step back' pattern in my bankroll lately. Hope it stays that way... ;)

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • Funny you should mention the ADD aces ( i am sure i have ADHD) . . . . I find the same thing . . . .

2 or 3 games keeps me on my toes and playing the right hands

I find that if i just play one game it tend to sit in on hands i should'nt.

Not that I am a good player like you or anything

For me it simply means playing a 5-10 cent table while i play a tourney
  • Hork42 wrote:

http://www.cendirect.com (possibly free shipping)
    and
    http://www.pccanada.com

also have some good prices on monitors - maybe not that one. She's a beaut.
  • Does playing in multiple games at one time confuse Poker Tracker in any way?
  • http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1156004&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14

Am I the only one to think that it's kind of "bullshit"??? :confused:

I mean, I maybe could handle the pressure playing 2-4 tables with some practice but 15!!! ...and making max profit of it...

You would surely need some special mouse handling skill!!! :)
  • You would surely need some special mouse handling skill!!!

You just need multiple monitors and no conscience about making everyone at the 15 tables wait the full minute for every action.