Playing AK like a pussy

Situation: You go with several forumers to a different cardroom. One forumer goes deep into the Skill Level 6 tournament. Another forumer has cashed out a winner in the $1/2 NL game. You and another forumer are playing in the highest game of $5/10 NL, with both having around $500.

Your hand UTG: :ac :kd

Question 1: Do you call, or raise to what amount?

Action: I opt to call. There are five limpers and the pot is now $50.

Flop has an ace and flush draw, something like: :as :ts :5h

Question 2: Checked to you with three players behind. What do you do?

Action: I opt to check. Cut-off, who has been playing relatively tight and just has you covered, bets $50. LAG on puck, a Fallsview 5/10 player who has ~$1,300 but has been your #1 source of income in this place, calls.

Question 3: What do you do?

Action: I flat call.

Turn is a brick: :7d
Question 4: What do you do?

Action: I check. Cut-off checks then LAG bets $200.
Question 5: What do you do?

Action: I consider going all-in with another ~$200, but decide to flat call. Cut-off folds. LAG says that I must be chasing a spade flush.

River is a brick: :2c
Question 6: What do you do?

Comments

• errrr. limping with AK causes cancer?
  • Buddy I'm really confused with this hand and how you played it; maybe this is some sort of second or third level thinking that I haven't reached yet but why would you check on the flop and turn and probably river? I always thought betting or folding were the only two options and check and/or calling was bad poker? why let these other players get a free card to catch a flush or straight draw?

Pre-flop - calling seems ok to hide the value of your hand; if its popped you can always re-raise.

Flop - on this flop with both flush and straight draws, I am likely coming out for a bet or a re-raise to the $50. Likely make it another hundred to chase;

Turn - bad break if this guy flopped two pair or trips, I'm likely calling. If he has been betting his draws or bluffing a lot, I'm getting my last $200 in the middle now.

Flop - hard to bet after he has led out on the turn, although you are likely looking at your last two hundred going in anyways.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »

RAISE...limping is for wimps...$50 cause I'm UTG
    BlondeFish wrote: »

Okay, so I limped preflop, but I'm NOT letting anyone catch up if I can help it here. Pot sized bet of $50 should chase out any drawing hands and I take a nice small pot.

IF I had checked the flop, I would now throw out a raise...Up to $200. I"ll know where I stand in the hand, and its abit of an over bet to help chase out draws, and I'm still happy with winning the pot at this stage.

(Buddy, what the hell??)

I've had enough of this weak ass pansy check call check call bulls**t...I'm pushing whatever I have left now (about $300?). Whoever calls that with a draw I'll be thanking them no matter what falls on the river, and if I"m way behind 2pr or a set, I"m reloading...and playing ALOT more aggressively

Okay, who are you, and why are you using Buddy's account?
    Action: I consider going all-in with another ~$200, but decide to flat call. Cut-off folds. LAG says that I must be chasing a spade flush.

Hmmmm, LAG's comment might have be suspecting 2pr here. I might be beat now, thank you very much...nobody to blame but myself if I am, but the pot is a very nice size now, and I doubt I'm mucking TPTK to anything against these guys.

Check it down, call the bet if presented, and hope my TPTK are good.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Okay, who are you, and why are you using Buddy's account?

Buddy, what has Vegas done to you??
  • ha ha ha. i was hoping you'd post this hand! it provided great enjoyment even hours after you left. 'you play your game and let me play mine'

everyone is ignoring the fact your opponent is an uber LAG. this guy would raise in late position with any reasonable hand. the fact he limped here is significant. i thought you were SB or BB? either way, you were OOP for this hand.
  • Why do you only have $500 at a 5/10 NL game? A good player like yourself should always be topped up.

Nothing to comment other than I hate how passively you played this hand, from preflop to the river. You need to bet out or repop the flop. Same with the turn, bet out or repop all-in. Your stack is only $500 total in a 5/10 NL game, I don't know if you're scared of 2 pr or a set but you need to get it in with your small stack on the turn.

I don't care if you won or lost this pot, regardless it was just too passive IMO (& I respect your accomplishments & tight-aggressive style but too passive in this).
  • HP_John wrote: »
    Why do you only have $500 at a 5/10 NL game? A good player like yourself should always be topped up.

Nothing to comment other than I hate how passively you played this hand

Cosign

obv not rolled for, or comfortable with, the stakes you are at.

Move down

/thread
  • although this table had no cap on the buy-in, I think $500 was likely average at this table. I think a couple players had under $300. This was a busted 2/5 table so probably only the LAG had over a $1k in chips. This guy really acted like a pussy when he lost the hand. Next time to really piss him off, you should ask the dealer to see his hole cards. He seems to like to intimidate the other players.
    Say: "I think you got the busted flush draw and I'll put the rest of my chips and bottom pair to back me up".
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I'm really confused with this hand and how you played it; maybe this is some sort of second or third level thinking that I haven't reached yet but why would you check on the flop and turn and probably river?
    Umm, yeah, that must be it. I was thinking on the fourth level: thinking about what the LAG might think that I might think he might think I have. :D

Basically, I viewed the Fallsview 5/10 player as somebody who eats ABC players for breakfast so I decided to play differently against him. A few days before my Las Vegas trip in a pot against him of over $500, I showed my winning hand of trip Aces. He angrily mucked his hand, and kept berating me, "How could you bet out with the two aces on the flop? What kind of a donkey are you?" Instead of slow-playing the third nuts on the flop, I varied my play by betting out and the LAG never put me on such a strong hand, and kept calling my turn and river bets.

Last week, the 2/5 table that I had won at earlier when I had to leave had unknowingly become a 5/10 table by the time I sat back down. In this AK hand, I decided to deviate from the standard ABC plays and take a calculated risk to extract more money from the same LAG. I was "playing the playa." I obviously checked the river with only one pair but was prepared to call if he bet. He gave up and checked.

After I showed my winning hand and collected the $600 pot, he again went on tilt and berated me, "AK!?? How could you call my $200 bet on the turn, you bird?" By me flat-calling pre-flop, check-calling on the flop and checking on the turn, he never put me on AK and he bluffed off an extra $200 instead of folding if I had check-raised. He continues to loudly whine to the entire room, while pkrfce9 and I smile at each other. I retort, "But you can't bluff a donkey!" and everybody laughs including the villain. PokerJAH and other people I know wander over to my table and ask, "I heard there's a donkey in this table. Is it you again?"
    Instead of slow-playing the third nuts on the flop, I varied my play by betting out

I would think this is more standard than checking to build the pot and hope someone else partially hit the flop. No? You know he will be gunning for you this Friday. I better get there early to get a good window seat.
  • It's an interesting approach against a player like that, but by letting him get more cards, don't you think that more often he may end up making a better hand (especially if he is betting his draws)? Would you lay it down if a spade came? Regardless, nice that it worked out for you here.
  • Say: "I think you got the busted flush draw and I'll put the rest of my chips and bottom pair to back me up".

LOL ...you are unsung!
  • I started reading the hand and before I read the result the idea I was thinking was that you limped/check/called to vary you play.

If you always raise with AK an always limp with pocket pairs less the 7's then you become easy to read where if you vary your play you can maximize you wins when players can not read you.

I may have bet/raised at some point during the hand to see where I was at but otherwise I don't have any problems with how it was played.

The real question is "where is bet on the end?"

• Even after reading Blondefish's explanation, I still conclude it was played too weakly.

On the flop, he said the tight CO bet $50 & was called by the LAG, by flat calling he still has no idea where he's at. CO could have 2 pair, & flat calling allows a possible flush draw to get there cheaply (CO bet & LAG called, either could have a flush draw).

On the turn, LAG bets $200, & he just flat calls with CO left to act. He is kind of trapping himself if CO checked to LAG knowing LAG would bet, with the intention of repopping. If LAG has a flush draw, might as well make him pay that last $200 for it, otherwise he may just shut down on the river given your big $200 turn call.

Remember, LAG called the flop bet. He didn't initiate it. If he was the initial flop bettor, maybe you just put him on position betting. However, as he called, he easily could've had a flush draw. The tight CO could've easily bet his flush draw on the flop, just hoping to take it down. Either way, as played, it could be argued you left some $ on the table.
    Situation: You go with several forumers to a different cardroom. One forumer goes deep into the Skill Level 6 tournament. Another forumer has cashed out a winner in the $1/2 NL game. You and another forumer are playing in the highest game of $5/10 NL, with both having around $500.

Action: I opt to call. There are five limpers and the pot is now $50.

Flop has an ace and flush draw, something like: :as :ts :5h

Action: I opt to check. Cut-off, who has been playing relatively tight and just has you covered, bets $50. LAG on puck, a Fallsview 5/10 player who has ~$1,300 but has been your #1 source of income in this place, calls.

what do i do.. since he might think that missed my draw i shove and since i have top pair top kicker i would shove all in to make him go for the bait hoping he takes it
  • thank you for reviving this interesting 8-month old thread
  • u must like putting yourself in tough spots!
  • FRoSTy wrote: »
    what do i do.. since he might think that missed my draw i shove and since i have top pair top kicker i would shove all in to make him go for the bait hoping he takes it

Sigh. So you have no balls either? At least there's a good chance Buddy grew some in the last 8 months, what's your excuse?

Also +1 on the needless thread bump
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    grew some in the last 8 months
    No, I still wear my sister's panties and haven't grown any balls.

NL Texas Hold'em Level:16 Blinds-Antes(6,000/12,000 -200) - Wednesday, February 04, 2009
    Table $300K Gtd Sunday Qualifier Rebuy 5 Seats Gtd Table #1 (Real Money)
    Seat 6 is the button
    Total number of players : 6
    Seat 10: Bigyo69 ( 266,729 )
    Seat 5: CHICKENBALLS ( 301,668 )
    Seat 2: KATZ33 ( 190,840 )
    Seat 6: hubbie444 ( 121,846 )
    Seat 8: jeff_stryker ( 191,115 )
    Seat 1: peacebuponu ( 93,302 )
    Trny:44188658 Level:17
    Blinds-Antes(8,000/16,000 -400)
    peacebuponu posts ante [400]
    KATZ33 posts ante [400]
    CHICKENBALLS posts ante [400]
    hubbie444 posts ante [400]
    jeff_stryker posts ante [400]
    Bigyo69 posts ante [400]
    ** Dealing down cards **
    ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealt to CHICKENBALLS :ac :qh
    peacebuponu folds
    KATZ33 folds
    CHICKENBALLS raises [36,000]
    hubbie444 folds
    jeff_stryker folds
    Bigyo69 calls [20,000]
    ** Dealing Flop ** :as :3h :9d
    Bigyo69 bets [82,400]
    CHICKENBALLS calls [82,400]
    ** Dealing Turn ** :ah
    Bigyo69 is all-In [147,929]
    Your time bank will be activated in 6 secs. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
    CHICKENBALLS folds :o
    Bigyo69 shows [ Ad, 4h ]three of a kind, Aces.
    Bigyo69 wins 395,129 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, Aces.
  • I see. Is he the biggest nit alive, or did you just decide you didn't really want all the chips on the table? Oh wait, he had A4 so scratch that first part.

Edit: Upon further review, there are 6 people left in a 5 seat gtd tourney. I choose to believe this was the bubble since that is the only thing preventing me from vomitting on my keyboard.
  • Pinhead wrote: »
    since that is the only thing preventing me from vomitting on my keyboard.

I feel like I should get royalties whenever anyone talks like this on the forum..
  • I think the real question should be, CHICKENBALLS is the best player id you could come up with?
  • If I'm in your situation I cash out because I'm in a game I don't belong in.
  • lacey23 wrote: »
    If I'm in your situation I cash out because I'm in a game I don't belong in.
    Thank you for your excellent advice. I shall quit poker immediately and take up basket weaving instead.

P.S. Can you recommend some good books on basket weaving?
  • compuease wrote: »
    errrr. limping with AK causes cancer?

agreed
    ** Dealing Flop ** :as :3h :9d
    Bigyo69 bets [82,400]
    CHICKENBALLS calls [82,400]
    ** Dealing Turn ** :ah
    Bigyo69 is all-In [147,929]
    Your time bank will be activated in 6 secs. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
    CHICKENBALLS folds :o

I have to know Blondefish. Why are you folding here? You call flop bet obviously thinking you have the best hand at which point nearly half your stack in the pot already. Another A comes off and you fold for half the pot? If you believe you're beat here, you must have believed you were beat when calling the flop bet, no? Even if on the bubble, you would have been left with chips(although a very small amount) and if on the bubble, taking this pot down would have put you in the money. What was the reasoning? __ Not berating, honestly curious.
  • After the all-in on the turn, he either has {A9, A3, AK, 99, 33} or he's a zeroth-level thinker who is clueless about bubble play. With the bubble, I would either multiply my investment by more than 20 times by surviving, or I call with the losing hand and end up sixth place with a big fat zero. The bubble is where normal poker decisions can become corrupted, e.g., it would be correct to fold AA preflop if a big stack were put all-in even by a horrible player like Bigyo69.

I still had 182,868 chips and there were two short stacks. I opted for the safer play of folding since I felt that I had the best chance of surviving the bubble, including Bigyo69 who was misplaying his huge stack. I was right as just over one orbit later, Bigyo69 limped with 65 soooted and called an all-in, then sucked out a straight to take out the bubble boy and the five remaining players all won the same prize.
    pokrgod wrote: »
    What was the reasoning?
  • Thanks. Obviously I don't play a lot of tournaments. It does make sense for positioning. I guess I'm looking at it like a cash game.

More confused as to why call flop if you're not calling turn as any of those hands had you beat on the flop. If the turn is Q, you then beat AK A3 A9 but still behind 33 and 99. I guess my question is, why the flop call? And what were you hoping to hit? Would a shove on the flop after his bet have been a good play? (we know what he was holding so yes, but was that a thought at all?)
  • pokrgod wrote: »
    Would a shove on the flop after his bet have been a good play?
    Unlike a cash game where I would try to squeeze every dollar of EV like Tom "durrrr" Dwan successfully does, I simply needed to outlast one more player in the bubble. What often happens during bubbles is that a horrible player ends up getting another player involved in an all-in, while everybody else cheers as their $EV skyrockets because one of the two players playing chicken will end up dead.