handling poker chips!

Wondering if you look at other players abilities to handle poker chips at the table to judge what kind of player they are? Also if they are able to do tricks with their chips at the table does it help in reading that players ability.

The reason I ask - is because I am god awful at handling poker chips. Regina will be my first live tournament and is handling chips something that should be practised?

Thanks

Comments

• i think thats only useful at a home game level. like when youre trying to figure out whos really brutal and who actually thinks about his play.

anywhere else, your play would say a lot more about your abilities. just as long as you stay away from trying and failing any tricks i guess. but even then, making them think youre awful cant be bad anyway can it?
  • I somewhat disagree with ralph on this point

At a home game, it usually amongst friends where they are aware of your ability, regardless of how you handle the chips.

Although, in a live tournament, you will likely be at a table with no one you know, so a first impressions could be vital in intimidating some weaker opponents.

Overall though, I dont think it is a big thing to worry about. If you simply play great poker, you will get all the respect you need.
  • i didnt exactly mean that type of home game. i meant like a sketchy home game tournament that you go to where you dont know anyone

but yeah. as long as you dont try a chip shuffle and nail someone in the eye or something you should be fine
  • Handling chips tells you how much people have played. But, it doesn't tell you how well they play. Lots of BAD players can shuffle chips etc.
  • Just coming off my first big tourny handling chips helped to calm me in tight situations...

it didn't affect the way I played against anyone but helped me calm myself by staying in a routine. Good Hands and bad hands I tried to do the same routine which helped to calm me down.. And hopefully helped me not give away tells..

I remember seeing one guys Heart almost come out of his chest when he made his flush.. 2 hands latter I got AA and was all in.. My heart raced.. so I worked on breathing and shuffled chips... it worked for me :)
  • I used to riffle chips all the time. But then my brother told me that I might have a tell, buy the way I play with my chips. Since then. I don't when in a hand. Something to think about guys/gals.
  • I used to riffle chips all the time. But then my brother told me that I might have a tell, buy the way I play with my chips. Since then. I don't when in a hand. Something to think about guys/gals.

I think he was just sick of hearing you riffle the chips for hours on end :)
  • Thats a tough question. If i sat down at a table, and i saw someone doing some tricks, shuffling chips well. . . i would probably have a bit more caution.. Agreed that a lot of bad players can shuffle for sure. But it does give you an indication of their prowess, when at that point you have nothing else to go on.

For me, until otherwise proven, i treat every playing as they appear.
    If they can do chip tricks, ill give them the benefit of the doubt until i see them play.. Same as if i see a guy chugging back beers and chatting up a storm.

Its just important not to STICK to those assumptions.
  • One question in relation to this thread - Does anyone know a good way to learn how to shuffle chips with one hand? I saw this woman doing it on the tournament of champions and it looked so easy - then I tried it....

Anybody have any advice? is there a trick to it?